Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
French is spoken in more countries than both of those options:

The Top Ten Most Widely Spoken Languages in the World - TheRichest

It depends on what you mean by "most important language to know." In terms of what? For employment, in order to make a decision, you have to evaluate WHERE the languages are spoken and what JOBS are available there.

Do you want to live where they speak it, or do you want to live here and work WITH people who speak it?
Exactly. The answer is mostly geographical. If a person reads ancient Greek manuscripts for a living, he/she would need to learn Greek. If a person teaches Italian to high school students, he/she would need to know Italian. It depends, just like everything else in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Chinese (but there's problem here -- Mandarin or Cantonese?)
Mandarin. Cantonese has been essentially relegated to Hong Kong, Macau, and ex-pats. So in Canada and the US, it's mostly Cantonese, especially in Canada. Thailand, Vietnam the Chinese spoken is mostly Cantonese.

Mainland China, the official language is Mandarin.

As to Quebequois, it has a large number of differences with "Parisian" French.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
By the time I got out of High School, I spoke (in addition to English, and in descending order of fluency) Spanish, German, Italian, and French. The position of Italian on the list is somewhat fluid, as it is very similar to Spanish (Some spellings and pronunciations are slightly different, but the construction of sentences, verb tenses and grammar are much the same).

Trying to talk to Puerto Ricans, after having learned Spanish as it is spoken in Spain was a bit difficult. I'd have to keep telling them to slow down- at their normal rate of speaking, with dialect differences and other issues, I'd be lucky to get one word out of twenty. Speaking Spanish in countries south of the US when I was in the military was a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As to Quebequois, it has a large number of differences with "Parisian" French.
Ain't that the truth. I was fortunate to grow up with a French Canadian kid and spent much time with his family, so I was not completely unprepared when I eventually traveled to Quebec City. My main difficulty was that it had been so long between school and getting there I found that I had pretty much forgotten most of what I had known.

Even so, despite having been told that, as an American, I would be treated very rudely there, I found it quite pleasant. The only rudeness I experienced was one parking-lot attendant...and I think he was just a [jerk] to *everyone*. Perhaps my experience was different from what I was told to expect, because I didn't *expect* everyone else to know English and try to speak *my* language. I did my best with their language and everything worked out fine...I know that some were more than mildly amused at my lack of knowledge, but I was more than happy to acknowledge my ignorance and laugh with them.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Except, second to Chinese, Spanish is the language spoken by the most people.
There is no "except." You and I are sharing two different statistics.

Mine was about a language spoken in more countries, and yours is about a language spoken by more people.

Two.different.things.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:05 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
My personal "to-do" list (if I had the time)

1. Spanish (done)
2, German (done)
3. Chinese (Cantonese)
4. Russian
5. Tagalog (most common Philippine dialect)
6. Polish*
7. Portuguese*

* knowledge of "neighboring" languages would likely be helpful here

Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
There is no "except." You and I are sharing two different statistics.

Mine was about a language spoken in more countries, and yours is about a language spoken by more people.

Two.different.things.
So which is more important?

I would argue that from an economic point of view, it has to relate to the number of people who speak it, as that is where the GDP will be. If you're just counting countries, find, but how does that impact the real world?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:58 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My personal "to-do" list (if I had the time)

1. Spanish (done)
2, German (done)
3. Chinese (Cantonese)
4. Russian
5. Tagalog (most common Philippine dialect)
6. Polish*
7. Portuguese*

* knowledge of "neighboring" languages would likely be helpful here
Not unlike Spanish, French or Italian will manage you to get by in the others, same goes for the Slavic ones.

A good grasp of Russian will muddle you through Ukranian and Polish.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So which is more important?
That's up to the OP, who asked the question.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:04 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
People, please remember which forum you're in. Several posts have been deleted, including those relating to menus in Chinese restaurants.

Your posts should be relevant to Work & Employment. Thanks.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
That's up to the OP, who asked the question.
They asked what language was more important; it seems reasonable that if one is talking economics, it would be the language that is spoken the most. Chinese is spoken essentially only in two countries, yet no one would deny how important they are in economic terms, would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment