Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:01 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times

Advertisements

My advice when you are interviewing, interview them as well. Find out the culture, ask to talk other employees, check out company reviews. You don't desperately need a job so take your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:29 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,149 times
Yeah, I went to the work place and the ''office'' was under construction and I was the only employee for this program in a hospital. So I did the 5 day hospital orientation, left on Friday, and never returned. Left a voicemail on the HR ladie's phone. There was no one to tell at the ''office''! LOL
This was in 2005.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:26 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post

has anyone ever taken a new job and then regretted it and wished they could have their old job back?
Not I. I have regretted in staying one job way too long, though.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 AM

55 posts, read 42,952 times
It's scary to leave a job you've had for years with co-workers who have become a second family, which is what I did in it May. It worked out in my case because my co-workers at this job are incredible but it was still scary because the work was a lot different and there are very different standards. I haven't regretted a thing but I can understand why some people have those feelings.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:41 AM

134 posts, read 102,855 times
Yes! I was previously laid off after 10+ years so was in the "desperate" category and looking back, so much had changed since I had last had to apply for a job. Also looking back, there were some red flags I didn't see and/or didn't know should be red flags since I hadn't interviewed for anything in over a decade. Amazingly, I had a choice between 2 job offers after being laid off for several months, I definitely chose the wrong one!

It was horrible, gave me stress headaches and more. However, I think coming from a non-desperate position (eg you already have a job), you will have more time to reflect on jobs and apply for those which truly seem a fit, not ones to pay the bills. . Even though I loathed it, a positive is I learned a great new tech skill to add to my resume for the future and met some new people. I was able to move on to my current job, which 100% better

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,608,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Yes and i have my cpa license. I have zero tax experience so theres that to learn (wont get it at current company). Financial statement preparation, operations of the company, etc. i think theres a lot to learn. Im 28, if i knew everything id be a lot higher up than i am now, so there must be more.
I'm in accounting as well-not to get too off topic but do you feel your CPA has helped? I'm 10 years older and this is a second career.
I just started a new job too and I'm conflicted. The company is good, good benefits, ok pay but my department sucks. I'm a one man show. I've worked at this company 2 months and it's a mess. I'm working 55-60 hours a week and I can't even crawl out of the hole they have put me in. I do taxes and no one has done taxes since 1st quarter-the last person quit in March and the temp they hired walked out the 4th day after I started so I never received training (I work for a financial service company).
I've become disillusioned and now I don't know what to do- Since I"m the only person how can I interview much less ever take a day off?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,410,624 times
I once did regret taking a job, but 30 years later I am loving my defined benefit pension check I keep getting every month from taking it!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 AM

23,394 posts, read 23,819,817 times
I took a job at a start-up a few years ago (after being recruited). After being there for a day, I hated it.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:31 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,249,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I'm in accounting as well-not to get too off topic but do you feel your CPA has helped? I'm 10 years older and this is a second career.
I just started a new job too and I'm conflicted. The company is good, good benefits, ok pay but my department sucks. I'm a one man show. I've worked at this company 2 months and it's a mess. I'm working 55-60 hours a week and I can't even crawl out of the hole they have put me in. I do taxes and no one has done taxes since 1st quarter-the last person quit in March and the temp they hired walked out the 4th day after I started so I never received training (I work for a financial service company).
I've become disillusioned and now I don't know what to do- Since I"m the only person how can I interview much less ever take a day off?
In my opinion, the cpa license is everything. More opportunities and more likely to get a higher salary. I know some companies wont even interview someone without their cpa license for an accounting role. Im not in a tax dept though. So you are an internal tax accountant for a company?

You dont have vacation days or sick days u can use to take off?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:39 AM

416 posts, read 246,329 times
Im thinking about taking a lower paying job from another company over my current headache of a company. I am unsure atm, anyone have experience with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment