Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
Yes, I was working for a temp service at the time. I get this call from a lawyer wanting me to come and work for him as his admin assistant. Now I had no AS training whatsoever. The temp agency knew what kind of guy he was and they highly recommended I not work for him. However, I blindly thought I could be his AS/Office Manager. I failed miserably and was fired within three months. Moral of the story: I learned my lesson.

LOL! I think I worked for his twin in Florida. After he verbally attacked me in front of other employees I basically walked out after telling him "my husband doesn't speak to me that way and I'm certainly not going to let you do it". I half expected a standing ovation as everybody hated him but put up with him anyway.

I have had jobs that I didn't like in the beginning but grew to love and I had a few that I knew within a few days that it just wasn't going to work out.

OP - Changing jobs is scary for the all reasons you mentioned but sometimes you have to take that leap of faith. There is a reason you are looking for another job. If you're like me, make a list with pros and cons of staying where you are vs. getting a different job. That should help you decide which way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Yes. Call center. Enough said

Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Did it have disasterous consequences? Or you simply found something new and moved on?
Yeah, it's been very rocky. Moved back to Alabama in late 2003. That's been 13 years ago, since that move from Charlotte. I still regret it because Charlotte is a more forward city, even though the state has been in some negative news lately.

I lost the first job within just months, took another quickly as I have strong connections in Alabama, and promptly lost that job 2 months after buying a home, and 9 months into the job itself. Made me re-think my career options, as accounting wasn't for me. Have had a couple of more successful positions, but it took me until my 30's to really nail down what my strengths are.

I'll be moving away again. Alabama has shown me that I do have certain definable strengths, but this isn't the place that can help me expand on those. Your career is a winding path sometimes, and it can take a long long time. Marathon, you know, not a sprint.

I'd go back to Charlotte in a heartbeat. It's a place dear to me and my family.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 AM

22,175 posts, read 19,217,049 times
yes. i was offered a promotion and EVERYBODY warned me NOT to work in that department, and i mean EVERYBODY. i figured "it's a promotion" and "i can work with anybody and be a professional" and "i can stand anything for a year." well, it was awful, they were right, and within a few months i had changed jobs again.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Yeah, it's been very rocky. Moved back to Alabama in late 2003. That's been 13 years ago, since that move from Charlotte. I still regret it because Charlotte is a more forward city, even though the state has been in some negative news lately.

I lost the first job within just months, took another quickly as I have strong connections in Alabama, and promptly lost that job 2 months after buying a home, and 9 months into the job itself. Made me re-think my career options, as accounting wasn't for me. Have had a couple of more successful positions, but it took me until my 30's to really nail down what my strengths are.

I'll be moving away again. Alabama has shown me that I do have certain definable strengths, but this isn't the place that can help me expand on those. Your career is a winding path sometimes, and it can take a long long time. Marathon, you know, not a sprint.

I'd go back to Charlotte in a heartbeat. It's a place dear to me and my family.
yeah, fortunately for me it wouldn't involve a move out of state. just looking around nearby. if i'm having this hard of time just leaving a job, i could only imagine how difficult a decision would be to move out of state as well.

and i hear you about accounting lol. i sometimes wonder if it's for me as well. but i'm so far in so i'm going to stick with it.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Yes. One job I bailed out after a few hours. It was a high paying hourly technical position. I never even got on the job. From the minute I walked through the door they were berating me and telling me that I was garbage. I couldn't believe it, especially at a higher level job like that.

When they said I would have to work unpaid (volunteer) overtime on the weekend, that was it for me. Looking back I think it was their intention to drive me out of there. I think that they hired me, then something else fell through and they couldn't afford to keep me, didn't want to pay me for terminating me after I just left a job for this one, and I hadn't worked for them long enough to make up some BS reason to fire me.

This probably does not happen to most people who change jobs, though.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:11 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i had this one job where the first couple minutes they was talking about the probation period, and if i made it that far. well i walk out couple minute later, i told them they did not meet my probation period.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 AM

461 posts, read 509,103 times
Instead of looking for a new job to liven up your life, why not try new hobbies etc... outside of work? You could travel on weekends, or join exciting meet ups, whatever you like. You could be busy all weekend and have your down time at work. Seems a lot easier to try this first when you have a great, albeit boring job.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Do you have a degree in accounting? If you do, what do you think you should be learning about accounting? It's not like technology that's constantly changing. There's GAAP which rarely changes and they joyous annual tax code changes.

Oh and the grass is always greener on the other side!

Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:56 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do you have a degree in accounting? If you do, what do you think you should be learning about accounting? It's not like technology that's constantly changing. There's GAAP which rarely changes and they joyous annual tax code changes.

Oh and the grass is always greener on the other side!

Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it!
Yes and i have my cpa license. I have zero tax experience so theres that to learn (wont get it at current company). Financial statement preparation, operations of the company, etc. i think theres a lot to learn. Im 28, if i knew everything id be a lot higher up than i am now, so there must be more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment