Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 02:04 PM

421 posts, read 423,326 times

Advertisements

I have 2 questions:

1) During 1 on 1 meeting with manager, manager asks " do you have any complaints, or any concerns?", what do you normally say? you don't mention any negative things? or sometimes, do you criticize team members?
If you report your manager any bad things against others, it could eventually also damage you?
I think saying GOOD on others could also make me GOOD, maybe I could be wrong...but there is no one in the world/company who is 100% perfect person, every one has one's own weak points and limitation on performance and character, or social behavior etc...right?
I am just curious how most other people says about other team members(others) to manager(company)...
What is desirable way? Complaining on others is bad for me? Talking always positive(good) on others is good for me?

2) During the performance review, if manager says, " you have this and that problem and need to improve..." but you disagree it, then what do you do? do you say I don't think so? or do you just accept what manager says and say " I will improve it..." ( even though you disagree?)?
On the performance evaluation document, if your manager wrote some negative things on you, which you don't think you did, then what do you do? just you don't put any comments about it? or else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 02:12 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
In these cases the best response is to usually not make waves and be servile.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
In one on one meetings you should discuss things which will become known and reflect negatively on you or your manager. If it is a simple matter, such as not getting along with a coworker, keep quiet. If you know that coworker is violating company policy or the law, that will reflect poorly on you, your dept, and your manager, so you should discuss it.

My rule of thumb is to think about what the manager would do if something became public. If the manager would be surprised, embarrassed, or compromised, they need to hear about it first in a one on one.

Yes, you should also celebrate successes. You need not belabor the point, but let the manager know that you are doing a good job.

For annual reviews, your opinion doesn't matter much. In truth, annual reviews don't matter much. Sign it, and then send your manager an action plan to address shortcomings, whether real or perceived. Work the plan, again, whether the problem is real or perceived.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:26 PM

Thank you, SeriousConv. and fishbrains !! your comments help me a lot really and seriously...

Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 AM

277 posts, read 306,501 times
For #1 - Yes, I've definitely addressed concerns about coworkers, particularly when their actions were creating a negative perception of our department throughout the company.

I've never had a manager actually give negative feedback/ needs improvement comments in performance reviews.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
For #1 - Yes, I've d. initely addressed concerns about coworkers, particularly when their actions were creating a negative perception of our department throughout the company.

I've never had a manager actually give negative feedback/ needs improvement comments in performance reviews.

Wow! You must be an excellent performer.

i thought most manager points at least one or two improvement
to the employees....even though perfect person r
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment