Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's be honest, it's corporate greed. If you owned a company and you could pay someone from India 1/3 to 1/2 of what you pay an American worker and the quality of the work is the same or slightly less, what would you do? It's a no brainer. You would hire as many H1B workers as you could. It would boost your profits considerably. It's a loophole that companies have exploited for the last 20 years This is nothing new. There are plenty of American workers with degrees and skill sets that could fill those jobs but they cost more. American workers are still hired but usually they have to be extraordinary and have years of experience and have skill sets that H1 B's lack. It really took off during the Bush administration and Obama perpetuated it. Clinton would have perpetuated it. Let's see if this President does anything differently.

And the government has pacified these companies and have lied by saying they only allow H1B workers in areas of need. Trump recognizes this and will put an end to the H1B program so companies are forced to quit being cheap and hiring American employees. They will still make a lot of money but not as much money as they would have with H1B workers.
From a healthcare perspective, foreign workers are making the same as American.

This is because the reimbursement is based on your license.

When I was shadowing in Physical Therapy, I had a good talk with a bachelor's trained PT from the Philippines. Nice guy. We had a good talk.

He was in amazement when I told him how much it costs now to become a Physical Therapist in America, in both dollars and time.

Things were pretty good from his perspective. Coming into the country with no college debt making at least 65k/year. Things are different for domestically trained PTs coming out with over $100k debt.

Add the factor in that reimbursement rates are DECLINING not increasing, because there is no money in the Medicare/Medicaid social programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am in IT so this is my experience. The problem I have with the medical field is that having a degree from almost all non-first world universities seems to be a problem to me. In many poorer countries bribery is common so how do I know the person getting the degree actually earned it or that it as good as Harvard Medical School?

For IT I would not be surprised. I know for IT certifications that many just use cheat tests, which Americans have done as well.

they can get their degrees however they want, including bribery, but they won't make it past the boards for licensure/certifications. you can't bribe your way through stringent US boards, can you? as of january 2017, PT grads from foreign countries will find it near impossible to get in the US since PT is now at doctorate degree at entry level and there are only very few countries outside US that have credentialled programs/curricula equivalent to that of PT at doctorate degree in the US. again, with people's health and lives at stake, the US system of education credentialling is more stringent, and that's just the first gate toward being able to apply for the boards. the IT industry doesn't have such rigorous credentialling/certification/licensure.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
they can get their degrees however they want, including bribery, but they won't make it past the boards for licensure/certifications. you can't bribe your way through stringent US boards, can you? as of january 2017, PT grads from foreign countries will find it near impossible to get in the US since PT is now at doctorate degree at entry level and there are only very few countries outside US that have credentialled programs/curricula equivalent to that of PT at doctorate degree in the US. again, with people's health and lives at stake, the US system of education credentialling is more stringent, and that's just the first gate toward being able to apply for the boards. the IT industry doesn't have such rigorous credentialling/certification/licensure.
I agree I should not be comparing the medical field with the IT industry but there must be a reason for those January 2017 changes no?

Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our area has many tech workers from Microsoft and Amazon, many lately from India, and even some from Europe. They are buying the $600k-1.2 million dollar homes here, in fact the builders are now doing dual-master houses to accommodate their multi-generational families. I wonder how they can afford it if they are being paid only $80-100k.
This post has nothing whatsoever to do with H-1B visas.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:34 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Partially, yes.

Facebook does pay about $140k, but the average for H-1B's is around $79k

$79k for a developer is below-market, not above-market.

Ultimately this has to be looked at by region, since H-1B filings are not spread evenly across the United States. The average H-1B filing for New York is $94k, San Francisco $102k.

In Charlotte it is $77k, Atlanta is $76k, Phoenix is $75k, Tampa is $74k, in Dallas it is $72k.

These are not the salaries of "elite" talent. These are right around entry-level developer salaries for these given regions.

They can get the talent they need in America. They just don't want to pay American-level wages and salaries. They'd prefer to import people who are willing to work for cheaper than Americans.
Even though their real estate buddies are the ones charging the rents that require americans to be paid much more. It almost all boils down to rent/real estate.

They all complain about having to pay too much as they go play golf with their real estate compatriarts who are the very people driving up costs.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I agree I should not be comparing the medical field with the IT industry but there must be a reason for those January 2017 changes no?
Didnt you read my post? I thought IT people were brainy enough to comprehend lengthy posts but I guess not. Let me explain it to you again. US PT is now a doctorate degree at entry level. Most foreign countries' curricula aren't up to par now, hence there will be fewer foreign PT nationals that can come in on less than doctorate degree or less than 7 years of pertinent work experience elsewhere prior to working in the US. The credentialing bodies here in the US won't recognize most foreign PT degrees as equivalent to the US degree so they can't even get to the boards.

And it's not because of the bribing, no matter how rampant it is in some nations

Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
My brother is about to go into PT Masters program. You have to go through a LOT to get it, and yes, you now need a doctorate.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
Didnt you read my post? I thought IT people were brainy enough to comprehend lengthy posts but I guess not. Let me explain it to you again. US PT is now a doctorate degree at entry level. Most foreign countries' curricula aren't up to par now, hence there will be fewer foreign PT nationals that can come in on less than doctorate degree or less than 7 years of pertinent work experience elsewhere prior to working in the US. The credentialing bodies here in the US won't recognize most foreign PT degrees as equivalent to the US degree so they can't even get to the boards.

And it's not because of the bribing, no matter how rampant it is in some nations
But WHY are they making the changes and why now?

And do not try to insult me by insinuating that I am not brainy or cannot comprehend your post.

Your post lacked capitalization and was a single paragraph. It was like I was reading the diary of a 8 year old girl.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:29 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
This post has nothing whatsoever to do with H-1B visas.
What do you mean? He's just asking if those foreign workers are really paid less than Americans and if so, how can they afford those homes with such prices.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
What do you mean? He's just asking if those foreign workers are really paid less than Americans and if so, how can they afford those homes with such prices.
It is a false equivalence. His post contains the implicit assumption that, just because he knows someone of foreign descent buying a house in Seattle, that person must be on an H-1B visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment