Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:35 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I really can't believe alot of these salaries on here. (100K by 30 years old, 80K in their early mid 20's). You would think Bill Clinton was still the president and the economy was booming. Jobs being created a record pace

I don't believe alot of these stories with kids making bank like they say they do. Maybe they aren't sharing they live in a ridiculously high cost of living area in which making that amount is pretty much average/below average.

Sorry Im not that gullible.

I know here in Texas, people sure as hell aren't making that kind of salary unless they are doctors, Lawyers etc. People that have been with companies here for Years and years are clearing maybe 65-70 (with quite a bit of hours). And then I listen to kids on here making 100K? ROFLMAO!!!!! Please

1) There is some selection bias at play here. Obviously given the title of the thread most people aren't going to post unless they are making $100k+.

2) It's not at all unreasonable to expect a $100k salary in certain fields, in certain metros, with a certain educational background. Honestly, $100k is no big deal in places like San Francisco or NYC or even DC for someone 5 years out of college in many professional office type jobs.

3) You underestimate just how many doctors, dentists, and lawyers are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 05:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I agree unions helped with work place conditions and increasing wages, I disagree that they were as all powerful as you suggest. They did not help people hit $100k... they did not make employers value employees

Aside from just "talking" points, do you have any sources on your "points"?

And are you in a union? I'm part of afge, and while I joined because I think unions are still useful, I don't know how much collective "negotiating" power they have now. It seems like ACLU or other people suing in courts have more gains than unions themselves today.
Only 6% of wage earners max out their Social Security at $118,500. 6 figure income, or the inflation-adjusted equivalent, has always been fairly rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
1) There is some selection bias at play here. Obviously given the title of the thread most people aren't going to post unless they are making $100k+.

2) It's not at all unreasonable to expect a $100k salary in certain fields, in certain metros, with a certain educational background. Honestly, $100k is no big deal in places like San Francisco or NYC or even DC for someone 5 years out of college in many professional office type jobs.

3) You underestimate just how many doctors, dentists, and lawyers are out there.
Doctors and dentists, sure. Most lawyers don't make 6 figures.

Nationally, if 6% make $118,500 to max out Social Security, it might be 8% or so above $100K. In a high cost of living region, it's pretty normal. In a flyover state, 6 figures is fairly rare.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I really can't believe alot of these salaries on here. (100K by 30 years old, 80K in their early mid 20's). You would think Bill Clinton was still the president and the economy was booming. Jobs being created a record pace

I don't believe alot of these stories with kids making bank like they say they do. Maybe they aren't sharing they live in a ridiculously high cost of living area in which making that amount is pretty much average/below average.

Sorry Im not that gullible.

I know here in Texas, people sure as hell aren't making that kind of salary unless they are doctors, Lawyers etc. People that have been with companies here for Years and years are clearing maybe 65-70 (with quite a bit of hours). And then I listen to kids on here making 100K? ROFLMAO!!!!! Please
I have friends that are doctors, engineers, government workers, etc., all under 30 who do well. Granted, some have ridiculously high student loan debt, but that was a choice they made. None of us currently live in the traditionally expensive metro areas, either. I doubt I am the only one who has friends from college that have good jobs.

You don't have to believe me, but what good does it do to lie on an anonymous forum.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Never for an extended period of time but I was on a 3 month assignment that paid $25 K including some overtime.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
When I started working for myself.

It's highly location dependent.

100k is the norm in the Bay Area, NYC, or LA. In the less dense places, not so much.

In SE Virginia, 70k is considered pretty high.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
$100K in current dollars, 18 years. Took another 2 to make $100,000 in dollars as of the year I entered the workforce.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:22 PM

270 posts, read 703,478 times
Fresh out of college as an engineer. Base is 74k. Hopefully I can crack that 100k mark in a near future. I also bought lottery ticket like someone above

Old 07-26-2016, 07:42 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Usually these types of threads are for some people to 'humble' brag and strut their chests at how easily they make six figures, while thumbing their noses at the peons beneath them.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 PM

449 posts, read 495,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
$100k salary has been known to be the "dream salary" to live comfy, while this may not be the case for many cities. I am curious on how long it has taken you to reach this milestone? I am currently 25 making $60k a year, wondering am I too ambitious by wanting to hit this milestone before 30 years old?

I think it depends on what profession you're in and the location of the job. It is certainly feasible to make $100k before 30 years old given the fact you're already making $60k salary. Although it may be helpful to do some research into the upward salary trend in your profession. Some professions do have a salary cap, and of course location is always a big factor in salary.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM

115 posts, read 98,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
I think it depends on what profession you're in and the location of the job. It is certainly feasible to make $100k before 30 years old given the fact you're already making $60k salary. Although it may be helpful to do some research into the upward salary trend in your profession. Some professions do have a salary cap, and of course location is always a big factor in salary.
Agreed. In my location and where I plan to relocate the median salary for Product Development Managers in CE industry is well in the $100k, hopefully with my experience before 30 will get me there. I'm motivated to get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment