Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 05:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Maybe all this is true where you live. But WV is not exactly on the list of areas where people with Bio or Chem degrees are in demand. It's like attempting to be an actor and not be willing to move to LA or NYC. Few opportunities will come your way.
It is worse where I am. Infested with staffing agencies that pay $15 to 20 an hour. It is a staffing agency infested race to the bottom. Let them keep whining about a shortage. I'd never let anyone in my family pursue a career in biology/chemistry.
BTW even $40-60k in LA NYC is garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ghTNpY22OA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
Would rather be in STEM than be a disgusting tradie

Old 07-30-2016, 06:33 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Just for the heck of it, I just looked for a couple of minutes, for openings for software engineers. Job after job was open, but in first 3 pages of listing out of many pages, not one was in the Silicon Valley.

I think a big problem for many Stem Graduates are only looking in small parts of the country, and are not even willing to look in PODUNK, Arkansas even in there are no jobs for them in the Silicon Valley. They are not willing to go where the jobs are, and there are no jobs where they are willing to go. They say the jobs in Podunk don't pay as much as in the Silicon Valley, but do not consider the cost of living factor, and they could be making 30% more as far as buying power in Podunk, Arkansas.

They would rather sit around crying, there are no jobs for me.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
At least those in trades are working. In many cases getting paid overtime.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:43 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
At least those in trades are working. In many cases getting paid overtime.
technology support staff here
i get paid overtime for anytime over 40 hours ;p

Old 07-30-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Just for the heck of it, I just looked for a couple of minutes, for openings for software engineers. Job after job was open, but in first 3 pages of listing out of many pages, not one was in the Silicon Valley.

I think a big problem for many Stem Graduates are only looking in small parts of the country, and are not even willing to look in PODUNK, Arkansas even in there are no jobs for them in the Silicon Valley. They are not willing to go where the jobs are, and there are no jobs where they are willing to go. They say the jobs in Podunk don't pay as much as in the Silicon Valley, but do not consider the cost of living factor, and they could be making 30% more as far as buying power in Podunk, Arkansas.

What about for IT Support Staff?

Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Same here
Plumbers get come home dirty often.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:34 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

That is what I have noticed in my industry. All the full time chemist positions are actually in small towns that many young graduates don't want to move to.

I did a nationwide job search for chemist jobs on indeed and most of the jobs that popped up were either government jobs (which can be hard to get if you don't have any experience) or full time private sector jobs in random towns like youngsville, North Carolina or Breechwood, Ohio. There were some temp jobs with low pay in the mix as well.

For the most part you have to move to get ahead but you have to move to an area that is affordable on the salary the company offers you. $50k a year in Boston is peanuts and can't even get you an apartment with roommates but $50k in Greenville, South Carolina or Morgantown, West Virginia is a decent salary and you can afford to rent your own place and save 15-20% of your income every year and not feel like you are living paycheck to paycheck.

Back in Atlanta the only decent company that was hiring was the CDC which is super competitive to get hired. Coca-Cola rarely hires new chemists and Georgia-Pacific went to hiring their science staff through temp agencies paying $15-20 per hour with no benefits. That's why I accepted my current job in West Virgina. No reason to stay in Atlanta if all the jobs I am qualified for pay crap, don't offer health insurance, don't offer 401k matching, don't offer paid holidays, and don't offer paid vacations. Any company that doesn't offer those basic benefits aren't worth your time.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Huntsville, Al is always hiring new grads.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:18 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
technology support staff here
i get paid overtime for anytime over 40 hours ;p
You're lucky. I'm on salary on my job so any hours I work over 40 hours I don't get any overtime. Just my fixed $50k base salary. My company does give out bonuses every year so that kind of makes up for the extra hours you have to work to meet your deadlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment