Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 PM

457 posts, read 645,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
This is exactly right. Those people with STEM degrees who claim they can't get work are simply being short sighted. The advantage of a STEM degree is not limited to your ability to explain electron orbits or recite the periodic table (in the case of chemistry). The advantage is the ability to think analytically and evaluate situations and scenarios in an objective and measurable manner. To be capable of understanding complex and detail oriented problems and approach a solution. The critical thinking needed to solve complex STEM type issues, is applicable to every position in business. If you limit yourself to a narrow field of positions, you may have trouble finding a job, especially a good one. But if you take a step back and leverage the skills that got you through your chemistry degree, you will find career opportunities abound.
Problem is, by the time you say all THIS in a job interview in response to the question "what makes you think you can work here?" (in that "I'm not going to hire YOU" tone of voice) they've either cut you off or stopped listening - if they're polite enough not to cut you off, I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Problem is, by the time you say all THIS in a job interview in response to the question "what makes you think you can work here?" (in that "I'm not going to hire YOU" tone of voice) they've either cut you off or stopped listening - if they're polite enough not to cut you off, I mean.
Making weapons will soon been a boon for most engineers in the very near future, start tooling up now.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:08 AM

270 posts, read 274,083 times
A lot of younger millennials (and even myself even though I'm an older millennial) are studying fields that offer guaranteed (salary) high pay straight out of college (law & STEM) The good news is that there are quite a few openings in jobs that have high earning potential, but don't offer any guarantees (sales, copywriting, licensing, entrepreneurial work, other fields that lead to higher paying jobs in the future). There's a lot of work out there that can outpace STEM in the future, but you have to put off that 50K+ salary in the short term in order for it all to work out. Yes, I know 50k isn't that high, but for someone with no experience it can be high pay.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
A lot of younger millennials (and even myself even though I'm an older millennial) are studying fields that offer guaranteed (salary) high pay straight out of college (law & STEM)
It's a gross generalization to say that STEM and Law pay high for recent college grads. In reality, this is true only of the cream-of-the-crop students.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It's a gross generalization to say that STEM and Law pay high for recent college grads. In reality, this is true only of the cream-of-the-crop students.
Disastrously stuck in the past is what it is. Especially for law.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Disastrously stuck in the past is what it is. Especially for law.
Every single person I know who studied something like computer science were able to obtain a decent job after college. Those who studied something like art history not so much. Of course no degree is guarantee of a job, but you have a hell of a better chance if you study STEM.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:35 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Every single person I know who studied something like computer science were able to obtain a decent job after college. Those who studied something like art history not so much. Of course no degree is guarantee of a job, but you have a hell of a better chance if you study STEM.
The bottom half or quarter of most law school classes are in very bad trouble.

I studied poli sci and I work in STEM.

Where you got your degree and what your grades were matter as much as the field.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:04 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
And you make it sound like everyone else is struggling... even without the top pay, the majority still make enough to live a good middle class life

Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
The advantage of a STEM degree is not limited to your ability to explain electron orbits or recite the periodic table (in the case of chemistry). The advantage is the ability to think analytically and evaluate situations and scenarios in an objective and measurable manner. To be capable of understanding complex and detail oriented problems and approach a solution. The critical thinking needed to solve complex STEM type issues, is applicable to every position in business. If you limit yourself to a narrow field of positions, you may have trouble finding a job, especially a good one. But if you take a step back and leverage the skills that got you through your chemistry degree, you will find career opportunities abound.
Well I partially agree, but a lot of STEM jobs are very focused.

If they require 8+ years of polyurethane resin formulation experience, but you have 10 years of acrylic polymers experience, your analytical thinking and detail oriented approach won't help to get this particular job.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 PM

136 posts, read 205,134 times
My mom has two friends whose son graduated with CS degree that are on the opposite side of the employment spectrum.

One just found a job in NYC with a salary of 70k and was promise an additional 10k each year if he stayed with the company. I've never heard of this and it seems a bit of an exaggeration from his parents. Do companies do this?

The other one can't find a job at all and ended up working at their parents' restaurant business. I just find it odd that he can't seem to find a job at all, not even an entry level. Is that possible?

I know it's none of my business but was just curious. What do y'all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment