Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Frankly, not everyone wants to live in major metros nor should that be the expectation. I'm looking at various small towns because I'm sick of constant congestion, crime, and the limited lifestyle here in central Indiana
since the last few years cities have had lower crime rates than ruaral areas:
Study Shows That Cities Are Safer Than Rural Areas, Despite Crime | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Yep, and when you really start thinking deeply about the solutions it is really unsettling because it ALWAYS boils down to too many people. Every single supply side problem in the labor market boils down to too many people and what has been the solution to too many people in the past ....

most notably too many males, woman usually get a pass on purge events other than uncontrolled plauges or massive collateral damage in wars in select areas. Its the men who pay for the over population which is why women have no issues with having baby fever and men oblige because they want sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There are plenty of grads.

When I graduated in engineering everybody got work, no internship needed and employers had no problem training.

I scribbled up a resume after I graduated, sent out 10, got 5 interviews and 3 offers. All within two weeks and two of those offers came after one single interview.

Those days are gone because we have way too many grads for the available jobs.

If we had a shortage of people companies would lower their expectations, train, increase wages significantly etc... And we aren't seeing that.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
From my experience this is from people who didn't do any sort of career preparation (especially if they don't have a "marketable" degree). I knew some of those. This falls into my point, even at elite colleges you do need to think about life after graduation and try to plan for that.

ETA: Though I will say I personally didn't know a single engineering graduate who was not able to find a job, the ease made me quite jealous.

I actually would say this is true, barring some very unusual extenuating circumstances, if you did respectable enough in an elite college and secured nice summer internships to build a respectable CV I can't imagine how you would NOT find a decent full time job. Personally I can't think of anyone who didn't. But you can always find one example of anything.
I agree with you on the bold.
Seems like some people in college don't research their career probably and don't take a chance on building their resume while still in school.
I will say it doesn't matter if you are getting your Bachelors, Associates, or a Certificate. Build Work experience in your field.
Finding Unpaid internships is not that hard, even if its not paid you could get a paid internship later on. I know that especially for STEM, theres plenty of opportunities, given that people even take some time to get into an internship.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
True, which are part of the basis of the anti H-1B camp.
Its more than just H1B, we have 320 million in this country alone and rising. Eliminating H1B and bringing tarrifs back will be a huge help but there is no avoiding a purge event if we want finding a job to stop being like getting into the Olympics. It looks like we are going to be heading for a major war soon so that will do it.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep, and when you really start thinking deeply about the solutions it is really unsettling because it ALWAYS boils down to too many people. Every single supply side problem in the labor market boils down to too many people and what has been the solution to too many people in the past ....

most notably too many males, woman usually get a pass on purge events other than uncontrolled plauges or massive collateral damage in wars in select areas. Its the men who pay for the over population which is why women have no issues with having baby fever and men oblige because they want sex.
So what.
Why don't just people do the best they can with what they got?
You can't control over population.
But you can control the improvement of your abilities and skills.

You can control to convince employers to hire you even if there is only one position opening and hundreds of people apply for it.

If people are not getting hired, then something is wrong ( lack of experience, interview skills, not skilled enough, not applyin to enough jobs, skills are outdated, late to interview, don't have a degree, lack a certificate)

How do other people manage to get hired? i'M PRETTY sure they manage to find a way or another

Old 07-27-2016, 01:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Advanced Degree for a Tech job? I find that so hard to believe.

Many places only require a Bachelors Degree,
( Unless you are trying to be a Director of IT or Professor then yeah an advanced degree makes sense)
Yep. My son just graduated with a CS degree. He worked part time coding for an aerospace company while in school. Both his advisor and his employer told him that getting a masters wouldn't do him any good unless he wanted to move into the management/business side of things. Besides, most tech employers will pay the tuition for them for an advanced degree. He accepted an offer from another company before his last semester of school. Obviously, it was dependent on him graduating. But during interviews, they were much more interested in what he was doing in his part time position.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Its the men who pay for the over population which is why women have no issues with having baby fever and men oblige because they want sex.
Uh, did anybody ever tell you how babies, um, come out?

Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
TWO WORDS

Public Sector
If you don't have the vet preference points you are screwed getting a public sector job unless you have previously held a public sector job. I am specifically referring to federal jobs because those are the least subject to local upsets and budget crisis.

so getting a public sector job goes back to getting internships, its almost impossible to get in unless you have been in before (or are a vet) and have hiring preference. If you don't have hire preference you better have a few years of income saved or be willing to move to timbucktu just to check the "previous federal employment" box so you can go back home.

And if you are 50 or even in your 40's its WAY to late to join the military and even if you could the only way to get the 5 points is if you are ACTIVE duty or deployed during war time, if you are guard (without war time deployments in excess of 6 months) or active duty during peace time you don't get the points.

As another poster said young people might be best served by leaving the country, the key there is figuring out which country, just because a country has jobs does not mean its somewhere you want to be. Also how long do you have to hold the job before you can apply for a second citizenship?

Old 07-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
If you don't have the vet preference points you are screwed getting a public sector job unless you have previously held a public sector job. I am specifically referring to federal jobs because those are the least subject to local upsets and budget crisis.

so getting a public sector job goes back to getting internships, its almost impossible to get in unless you have been in before (or are a vet) and have hiring preference. If you don't have hire preference you better have a few years of income saved or be willing to move to timbucktu just to check the "previous federal employment" box so you can go back home.

And if you are 50 or even in your 40's its WAY to late to join the military and even if you could the only way to get the 5 points is if you are ACTIVE duty or deployed during war time, if you are guard (without war time deployments in excess of 6 months) or active duty during peace time you don't get the points.

As another poster said young people might be best served by leaving the country, the key there is figuring out which country, just because a country has jobs does not mean its somewhere you want to be. Also how long do you have to hold the job before you can apply for a second citizenship?
I guess im the exception.
I been in here with a school district (9 years) They had plenty of internships for IT students
Nobody really wants them.
They did not have enough people applying

Old 07-27-2016, 01:47 PM

I agree with you but when you have 1000 people applying for every open position there is a high statistical probability that a very large number of those people will also get denied for the next job and the next job, ad nausium.

At what point does rioting start looking attractive and when the majority of people are disenfranchised what does our society start to look like?

I pitched to poor chemist that he should probably pitch to the Russians to start making poisen gas and exposives, think that sounds crazy? weapons are probably one of the most in demand things right now in the world, cant do it in the USA because our police state wants a monopoly on that stuff.

Quote:
So what.
Why don't just people do the best they can with what they got?
You can't control over population.
But you can control the improvement of your abilities and skills.

You can control to convince employers to hire you even if there is only one position opening and hundreds of people apply for it.

If people are not getting hired, then something is wrong ( lack of experience, interview skills, not skilled enough, not applyin to enough jobs, skills are outdated, late to interview, don't have a degree, lack a certificate)

How do other people manage to get hired? i'M PRETTY sure they manage to find a way or another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment