Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I haven't seen a LPN position advertised in YEARS! They're all RN, NP, and PA nowadays. She should be happy to have a job. She also has the choice to further her education. No one is stopping her except herself. I wouldn't feel bad about making more money. She chose not to become a RN.
I was an Lpn some years ago before becoming an Rn so i really resent it when an Lpn gets mad at me for being an Rn.

The bridge Lpn to Rn program was only a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Even if it may appear that all the nurses have the same duties, it's possible that you and the other RN's are expected to work up to your license, which may enable or require you to do more than an LPN does. In addition, regardless of the actual tasks you do it's possible that you have more responsibility and liability because of your higher license.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Most hospitals, at least the ones around here, are trying to phase out LPN positions. In light of that, she shouldn't complain. I'm pretty sure she knows there is a large pay gap between the two so it sounds like she's just a bitter person who is regretting not continuing with her education and obtaining her RN degree.
Yes,many are phasing out lpn positions.
An lpn does not require a college education.

I guess the question could be....At what point does experience trump education?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM

254 posts, read 193,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It depends if you mean "theoretically" or "practically." In theory, experience only trumps education if that education can be proven to make you superior. For example, if all you do is blood draws or blood pressure checks (and I'm not saying you do, it's an example), then even if you have ever degree in the world who cares? But from a practical standpoint, most jobs and employers don't really think in those terms. They just say that even if both people are doing the same exact job, the one with a higher education should make some amount more, which is usually variable.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
In my experience, at least, it depends on how useful that experience is to the task at hand.

I am part of a team that has 10 people on it. We all do the same thing and have the same title. I know that I made about $20k/year more than one of my coworkers. She has been with the company for more than 25 years, which would seem valuable, but then she only has one perspective. Plus, by staying in place the way she has, the company knows she won't leave and has no incentive at all to increase her salary. She's too content here to even look for another job no matter how badly they treat her. The powers that be know it, too. Depsite having the most experience by at least 10 years, she is the lowest paid person on the team.

Staying in one role, at least in my industry, is rarely the best way to increase your salary. Every substantial raise I've gotten was from moving to a new company.

I think it is a little odd that our salaries can run anywhere within a range that is $60k wide. But, we all bring different skills to the table and some are more rare than others.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Staying in one role, at least in my industry, is rarely the best way to increase your salary. Every substantial raise I've gotten was from moving to a new company.
you can change roles in same company and get paid more as well. People just job hop instead of promote more often now

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
The question is complex, with no single answer. If she is doing the exact same work, the real question isn't why is she paid less, but why are you paid more? Doesn't matter what degree, you're providing no greater value than she is. So in that perspective you should be paid the same.

Therefore the real question becomes what is it about either your duties or your individual performance that rates higher pay? What additional value do you create, what problems do you solve, or what does your education provide, even if only as a "in case of emergency, call RN vs LPN" that justifies the difference. Somewhere in there your management has decided you provide a greater value and that's why you're paid more.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you can change roles in same company and get paid more as well. People just job hop instead of promote more often now
That's probably true. In my case, I'm usually completely jaded about a company after a couple of years, so I just don't want to stay.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomanno View Post
That actually isn't true at all. A mechanic might fix a car better than an engineer could, but that's grunt work. You could train anyone to do that within a relatively short period of time. Whereas the engineer is involved in the actual development of the car, which is not something that anyone can do. The problem with today's society is that we have taught people to think that "everyone is equal on the team," which is false. You all have different roles and they are all important, but that doesn't mean your roles are equal.

As far as pay goes, the reality is that your pay can only be judged by yourself. In other words, it is not "fair" or "unfair" based on a comparison to someone else. It's fair if you accept it, by definition. I've worked at places where I've felt that they underpaid me. What you do is leave and go to a place that will pay you more. If nobody will pay you more, then you're not correct in your self-evaluation of your worth.
The question is bearing on the utility of someone's labor, and, of course the profit derived from said utility. Those who usually advocate for less regulation can be counted on to insist upon making others jump through imaginary hoops. In forty three years of working I saw plenty of engineers stumped only to have one of their "lesser" team brethren come up with a solution, real talent doesn't have a damn thing to do with how you learn, talent makes money,regardless of where or how it was attained..Your notions of the value of ones labor aside, I hired people based on their skill level not how they got those skills.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 PM

254 posts, read 193,269 times
Cool, then your engineering staff should have been composed of this super-team of non-engineer mechanics, since they were all superior to trained engineers. I'd have no problem with that. Why didn't you implement that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment