Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:53 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

I would try to go full GS with a union contract since he is already working close with a govt agency. Semi govt is still not govt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
First: Stability is not guaranteed anywhere. Hire/fire can happen anytime.
2nd: Assuming it's kinda stable, depends.

I had a friend who made over 100k in few jobs but he got laid off twice.
So he settled on a semi-govt job at 80k and he's still there now since last 8 years with slight increase each year.
I asked him why don't he find better paying job and his answer was, "I don't need more money. I have a home, two cars, boat, RV, family that I'm happy with. This income is enough for what I do and I don't have to worry lay offs".

Plus as others mentioned, it's harder to switch jobs once you go past 50...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
My friend disagrees with me that stability is not better than more money. I believe a stable job is always better than more money because you never know when that higher paying job can come to an end. I am a fan of ongoing money which allows you to continue to save and accomplish things.

I been laid off enough times to know stability rules. Who else agree?
That would depend on where you are in life. Young and single does not need all the stability. Married with kids I would go for the more stable job.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:34 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Yes.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:51 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I have a neighbor going through this dilemma right now. He was offered more money by a start up company (less than 1 yr in business). Granted it is owned by a billionaire with a good track record but he isn't one to simply throw money away if the concept/business isn't working. He could literally wake up one day and decide to change directions and close the company.

The other job is publicly traded, been in business for 50 years. Established company is paying about 60% of the start up with very little upside. Neighbor is the family breadwinner, 2 kids in college, etc not a single guy with cash in the bank that can take the risk.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
That would depend on where you are in life. Young and single does not need all the stability. Married with kids I would go for the more stable job.
Just because someone is young and single doesn't mean they don't need stability.
Some people appreciate knowing their job is safe and sound.
Its a lot of work finding another job.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
These days you have to define "stable." Almost nothing is. In choosing which job to take, you should broaden your basis for consideration. Look at other aspects - and, no...not the commute [like one OP was so obsessed with].

Old 07-30-2016, 12:05 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I'm young and single and would still want a stable job so I can continue to

1. Stack my bank account
2. Live indoors
3. Go out and have fun with family and friends
4. Go on vacations.

Single people need to eat and go places just like families do

Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Just because someone is young and single doesn't mean they don't need stability.
Some people appreciate knowing their job is safe and sound.
Its a lot of work finding another job.
According to that poster single people without kids don't need to eat everyday or live indoors. lol

Old 07-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
These days you have to define "stable." Almost nothing is. In choosing which job to take, you should broaden your basis for consideration. Look at other aspects - and, no...not the commute [like one OP was so obsessed with].
Off the top of my head a stable is a job that will always be around due to the type of work such as

Public Transportation
Electric Company
Gas Company
Cable
City Trash Dept
State Childcare
Welfare

Old 07-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I decided to choose stability over commute in the past 3 years. But the commute is not that bad since it takes me about a hour to get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment