Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 AM

93 posts, read 86,779 times

Advertisements

So I have a bit of a delimma and would like your thoughts, especially if you yourself are or have been a manager in particular of a store that deals with fast food.

Three days ago I went to my local Mod cut: store name deleted. about 10 minutes before it closed was just planning on getting it and going yet when I tried to open the door it was locked. When I tried to open it the woman working there saw me and gave me a mean look which I found ridiculous considering it was still before it was supposed to close, in this case it closes at 10 PM.

Well, the next day I called corporate and told them about it and they said they would send a message anonymously to the regional manager. The issue is that since I was most likely the last person to try to go in and the fact that my roommate's girlfriend who lives with us also works at the store (and my roommate also used to work at [snip] as well) it wasn't a question they knew it was me. Well anyway, later the manager of said store gave my roommate's girlfriend a message saying that if I couldn't respect her associate's I wasn't allowed back at the store.

Now one issue is of course how she construed me trying to go in before it was supposed to close as "disrespecting her associates" and the other is her using one of her employees to "send me a message".

What do you think I should do? Try to contact the manager and talk with her directly, call corporate again, or something else?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
So I have a bit of a delimma and would like your thoughts, especially if you yourself are or have been a manager in particular of a store that deals with fast food.
Manager? No, worker Yep, let's go.

Quote:
Three days ago I went to my local [snip] about 10 minutes before it closed was just planning on getting it and going yet when I tried to open the door it was locked. When I tried to open it the woman working there saw me and gave me a mean look which I found ridiculous considering it was still before it was supposed to close, in this case it closes at 10 PM.
So, you and thousands of other think "Oh the lights are still on, they must be open" crowd...Ever think that since no one has come by for 20 min, they can get a slight jump on the duties fo cleaning and have cleaned out the biins and have nothing to sell and to do so would take too long. Remember, go early and save time.

Quote:
Well, the next day I called corporate and told them about it and they said they would send a message anonymously to the regional manager. The issue is that since I was most likely the last person to try to go in and the fact that my roommate's girlfriend who lives with us also works at the store (and my roommate also used to work at [snip] as well) it wasn't a question they knew it was me. Well anyway, later the manager of said store gave my roommate's girlfriend a message saying that if I couldn't respect her associate's I wasn't allowed back at the store.
Wow, how many obscenities did you use? Must have been quite an amount.

Quote:
Now one issue is of course how she construed me trying to go in before it was supposed to close as "disrespecting her associates" and the other is her using one of her employees to "send me a message".
I suspect you pounded on the doors, screamed "I'll contact corp you stupid #$%^&*&^%$ and you can $%^&* my &^%$#@$%^" or other vocal threats....

Quote:
What do you think I should do? Try to contact the manager and talk with her directly, call corporate again, or something else?
I think you'd better find somewhere else to buy FF.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 AM

93 posts, read 86,779 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to posts which have been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Manager? No, worker Yep, let's go.

So, you and thousands of other think "Oh the lights are still on, they must be open" crowd...Ever think that since no one has come by for 20 min, they can get a slight jump on the duties fo cleaning and have cleaned out the biins and have nothing to sell and to do so would take too long. Remember, go early and save time.
Umm..If a store says they are open till x then they should be open till x. I realize they have to clean but they should still have the necessary ability to serve customers until said closing time.

Quote:
Wow, how many obscenities did you use? Must have been quite an amount.
I didn't say anything. The door was already locked when I got there. Even when I called corporate I didn't use one curse word.

Quote:
I suspect you pounded on the doors, screamed "I'll contact corp you stupid #$%^&*&^%$ and you can $%^&* my &^%$#@$%^" or other vocal threats....

I think you'd better find somewhere else to buy FF.
No, I just pulled on the door handle once then the lady turned around, saw me and gave me a nasty look.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:48 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 AM

254 posts, read 193,471 times
I think what people are trying to say is this is a matter of "how badly do you care?" You are correct that if a store's hours are posted to 10 PM, then it doesn't matter if nobody comes in for an hour, they're still supposed to serve customers until 10 PM (and, depending on store policy, possibly even for a short period afterwards). That being said, you also apparently didn't think too far ahead before complaining, knowing that they knew who you were. What exactly did you expect their response to be, "thanks for reporting us"? So the responders are indicating that if you want to continue to eat there, you should just drop the issue and go in and buy your food. If you're trying to figure out how to report them further so they will apologize to you for not being grateful, then you really come off as a busybody. You may even get your way, but most likely everyone at the company will be talking about you as the legendary most-annoying customer ever. Is there any real benefit to you to be "that guy"?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
It's not quite that cut and dry.

It's a judgment call. You may have been the only person that tried to come in in the past two hours. Rather than pay employees to stay longer just "in case" someone comes in it's more cost effective to close shop and go home. I doubt the manager would do this on what is a typical busy night that just happens to be slow at the moment.

A good manager will know on what days and times the store is busiest, and least busy based on an analysis of patterns. It costs money for workers to stand around and do nothing and there is only so much to clean/prep. Most times, those workers are ready to go home too. By closing up slightly early and letting the workers go home the manager is achieving two results:

1) The workers are often appreciative as it shows the manager is looking out for their interests (employee retention)
2) It saves the store money on nights where business is extremely slow (profit retention/cost reduction)

What you should do is simply find another place to eat. It's inconvenient at times, sure. But if the risk is inconveniencing one person versus costing the store hundreds or thousands of dollars the risk is negligible. It's likely that if you like the product you will forget this inconvenience and visit one of the stores again.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:34 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
You seriously care wayyyy too much. This has happened to me countless times and yes it does suck. But I am not going out and reporting them to corporate for closing 10 minutes early. I used to work at Mod cut: company name deleted. and we would be working with customers an hour past closing trying to finalize their cell phone sale. Frequently customers would walk up trying to get in and getting mad because they A) see us inside, and B) See a customer talking with us. Unfortunately for them we were already closed and the doors were locked. We needed to do a lot to prep for the next day and this wasn't a food establishment.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
What?

Umm..If a store says they are open till x then they should be open till x. I realize they have to clean but they should still have the necessary ability to serve customers until said closing time.

OK, so I take it then you work right up to the last second THEN gather your stuff and then leave work? Because that's what YOU are supposed to do right?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:50 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

What you should do is simply find another place to eat.
Indeed.

Let it go and move on.
Oh, and don't show up right before closing time!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
"Should I report it?" is a different question than "Should I report them for not doing something about what I reported?"

The first a little strange. The second is freaking bizarre.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

you realize store hours are up to the store manager right? The sign can say open until whenever, if weather is bad, the manager can close store to let people go home early. Open store late for same reason. Not open store for whatever reason. And they can close whenever for whatever reason as well.

If it is closed, go somewhere else.

You can call corporate for whatever reason, the cashier didn't smile at you, call them. They don't really care. But they won't do anything to "punish" them. It's a franchise store more than likely, they don't care. They just want their monthly fee paid to them.

Store manager could even post a picture of you and say service denied to said person and still be fine. They have no obligation to due business with you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-29-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment