U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,413 times

Advertisements

IT manager of large nationwide company has stolen PC's and large operational unit (that's a unit which operates the whole factory IT). In fact, he sold me one of those PCs. At the time, I was in desperate need of new PC as mine was broken, and when I mentioned that, he said:" Don't buy, I will build one for you". That sounded as if he will build PC from parts he has acquired. But when I came to get the PC to his house, I have seen all of these equipment in his garage. The PCs are HP. I already made the decision to buy his PC, so I bought it. Later, when I had tech problems with that PC and texted him about that, he replied that he runs over 30 of same PCs and never had issues with them.

He also always complains that he has been with the company for over 20 years, but he never gets bonuses that sales managers are getting. recently he got increase $1500/year, but still was very angry because bonuses are several thousand and he got only $1500.

Now I am thinking of reporting his stealing to the company he works for and steal from and not sure how to. Can anyone advice please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,386,185 times
Welcome to the site........

Do you feel like he would try to "get even" if you reported him????

Are you 100% sure he IS stealing??? (One must be QUITE SURE of these facts before reporting something like this!!!)

Good luck

Old 07-30-2016, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,413 times
He doesn't have anything against me. I am not scared of him. And yes, sir I am sure 100% he is stealing. I have a proof- my PC right at my place. As I understand all serial numbers are registered under company name. And also, I forgot to mention, when I just got this PC he said "Don't register the PC with HP, because it is registered under company". Isn't this proof of his guilt?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,386,185 times
I suppose it is........... You could take it to upper management and see what happens.....

Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 AM

115 posts, read 68,755 times
Upper management may find you equally as guilty.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 AM

507 posts, read 268,810 times
OP - you're going to shoot yourself in the foot. Best case is they confiscate your PC. Worst case is they prosecute you for purchasing stolen goods.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:07 AM

3,921 posts, read 2,759,556 times
We have a lot of family members in IT in small companies and many times they've brought home old computers that the company was going to trash. The companies okay it. In some places, there is a recycling fee to get rid of computers, so it saves the companies money.

If he's been there 20 years, that could add up to a lot of old computers.

Or, maybe he is stealing. How do you know for sure?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,015,443 times
How do you know he is not purchasing excess company stock/computers that have been taken off line and replaced with newer ones? Are you aware of significant computer thefts at your company? How do you know he didn't get them from another company that was selling them off. I work with a guy who has a hobby selling assorted stuff -- he literally buys surplus or excess stock by the pallet load. Now that I think about it, I used to work for a place that auctioned off a pallet load of computers. Don't you find it odd that an employee would show you the stash of stuff he stole from your employer? Why don't you mention all of the computers you saw and ask how he accumulated that much stuff.

If you can to me with a very serious accusation like that against a fellow employee, I would investigate it. If my manager checked out, and I determined you made a serious accusation against a fellow employee based on nothing more than, "the IT manager sure owns a lot of computers and computers parts" I would severely discipline you. I would consult with HR to see if they would let me fire you. You would not be a whistle blower, you would be a pot stirrer. You have presented absolutely nothing that the IT manager is stealing from the company.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 07-31-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 AM

15,036 posts, read 21,772,182 times
You know something is stolen, yet you purchased it anyway? Now you want to turn in said coworker for stealing ok......

Old 07-31-2016, 10:00 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,716,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange891 View Post
IT manager of large nationwide company has stolen PC's and large operational unit (that's a unit which operates the whole factory IT). In fact, he sold me one of those PCs. At the time, I was in desperate need of new PC as mine was broken, and when I mentioned that, he said:" Don't buy, I will build one for you". That sounded as if he will build PC from parts he has acquired. But when I came to get the PC to his house, I have seen all of these equipment in his garage. The PCs are HP. I already made the decision to buy his PC, so I bought it. Later, when I had tech problems with that PC and texted him about that, he replied that he runs over 30 of same PCs and never had issues with them.

He also always complains that he has been with the company for over 20 years, but he never gets bonuses that sales managers are getting. recently he got increase $1500/year, but still was very angry because bonuses are several thousand and he got only $1500.

Now I am thinking of reporting his stealing to the company he works for and steal from and not sure how to. Can anyone advice please?
Think about the fact that you bought a stolen PC from him.....You may be charged also.
Seems the only reason that you are thinking of reporting him is because he didn't fix your stolen PC.

Is this a joke?

Last edited by JanND; 07-31-2016 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or