Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Are they bragging about it, or complaining?
"I got two jobs" sounds like bragging not complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It's a thing nowadays. I am not sure why it is cool to tell everybody that you are overworked. It makes me feel pity, not envious.

I notice that especially on dating sites. Guys show off with telling you on their profile that they pretty much work 24/7 and think this attract women?? They tell you right away they will never have time for you and if so, you gotta kinda feel guilty about and have the pressure to make their time super exciting. I don't get it.

If you are working 60 or more hours per week, you are doing something WRONG.
Its also hard to make a relationship work if you are working long hours all the damn time ( travel, on-call 24/7, weekend work as well)

I known people like this before and they are not exactly dating material

Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Are you just taking it out of context? In other words, did someone ask them what they were doing this weekend and they replied, 'working at my other job?' I just can't picture people walking around bragging about having two jobs. Also, some people need to work two jobs to make ends meet. Single parents might need to do this or just a single person who does this to accrue more income. Remember, not everyone is married with kids.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:54 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
People I work with feel the need to announce to have a second job and on social media it's like a hip thing to say "I got two jobs". I thought that when you work more hours a week it makes you more tired and gives you less time to yourself. So why is this two job thing such a big deal in 2016 when it means you are spending less time away from home and family? I mean if you have a second job temporarily to erase a credit debt or something then I would think you would not even mention it but so many people walk around today and want to be congratulated for having two jobs.
I don't know anyone with two jobs, or anyone saying they have two jobs.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
I had at one time 2 fulltime jobs and I hated it! I only did it because I needed to in order to pay my bills.Then after I got burnt out from that...I ended up having a full-time job with a pt one.That went on for awhile.MOST people have a 2nd job because they have no choice..it's almost always because of some sort of debt they have to pay off.Most people do value their time that they have but some times one has to have a 2nd income to make ends meat.
I will never go back to having to take any pt jobs again UNLESS I have no other choice.I really value just having 1 job and that is that.Time is very precious and I value it immensely.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:01 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
It's because lots of people now find themselves working two seperate crappy $9/hour jobs or two seperate crappy $10/hour jobs whereas pre-Obama economy those same people would be working a single $20/hour job or a single, quality, w/ benefits $25/hour job.

"Downward mobility" is a thing now and pretty much unprecedented in American history. In previous downturns everything always returned back to normal, but lately it seems the economy has "permanently" stayed down like a flat-lining EKG. I don't think Americans will ever experience the standard of living enjoyed by previous generations again, the world has changed so much and there's no going back.

Yea it can, its called a massive war and brutal violence. That's where we are going.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Well it would seem they have time to be on social media!
Social media does not take long to get on especially with smart phones, takes 2 min to make a post. But you knew that and just wanted to be a jerk.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 PM

70 posts, read 61,415 times
In order to afford an apt where I live you either are lucky enough to get a good job, get two jobs, or get roommates.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I had at one time 2 fulltime jobs and I hated it! I only did it because I needed to in order to pay my bills.Then after I got burnt out from that...I ended up having a full-time job with a pt one.That went on for awhile.MOST people have a 2nd job because they have no choice..it's almost always because of some sort of debt they have to pay off.Most people do value their time that they have but some times one has to have a 2nd income to make ends meat.
I will never go back to having to take any pt jobs again UNLESS I have no other choice.I really value just having 1 job and that is that.Time is very precious and I value it immensely.
You have a choice no one is force to get into debt.
People want things they know they clearly can't afford.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Looking at my peer group, many of them took on a lot of college debt only to get a job that pays $15 an hour or less. The problem is the market is flooded with grads from second rate colleges in majors like psychology, art history, women's studies, and so on. If you are not going to major in something like computer science, chances are you're not going to make too much money.
The market is flooded with people period. Even stem fields are experiencing this. There are too many people competing for too few resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment