Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
The few times that I've taken a second job I kept it on the "WAY down-low", mainly because both places had a "no moonlighting" rule. I don't know if those rules are always enforceable, but I wasn't going to be the test case.

I've never had a second job that was worth it in the "extra money vs extra stress/expense" analysis. Seems the only way to go about it is two full time jobs. I've met people who do it, but it's not for me.
I would not work a second job unless it was under the table, no reason to get kicked in the you know what with taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 01:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
That maybe true but it is something to brag about? I can't see myself saying "I don't have much time to myself because I work 60 plus a week"
Yes absolutely it is something to brag about. Working your butt off to support yourself and your family is definitely something to brag about. It is honorable, it is responsible, it is being a good contributing citizen and benefiting society as well as your own family.

If I know someone who works harder and longer than I do, you are darn right that I am going to respect them for that. And I think anyone who doesn't respect someone who is working as hard as they can is disgusting, and values a culture that I don't care for, at all.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Yes absolutely it is something to brag about. Working your butt off to support yourself and your family is definitely something to brag about. It is honorable, it is responsible, it is being a good contributing citizen and benefiting society as well as your own family.

If I know someone who works harder and longer than I do, you are darn right that I am going to respect them for that. And I think anyone who doesn't respect someone who is working as hard as they can is disgusting, and values a culture that I don't care for, at all.
Where is that line? I don't respect a society that requires anyone to work more than 40 hrs. Now if that person whats a bunch of frivoulus extras and is willing to work fine, but when clean nice housing, a decent car and healthy food costs more than most people can make working 40 hours a week there is an issue.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post

I was about to post basically the same thing. Someone working that hard deserves our respect, not snarky insults and put-downs.

If someone's talking about how they're working two jobs, they're probably fishing for support and sympathy. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't know anyone with two jobs, or anyone saying they have two jobs.
I know quite a few, including one bartender who had two other jobs (three in total). Most of those jobs were part time and didn't pay all that well.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:26 PM

191 posts, read 230,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The market is flooded with people period. Even stem fields are experiencing this. There are too many people competing for too few resources.
I keep harping on this..... it's SO obvious that it's a simple lack of "good job" openings. Meanwhile population is constantly going up up up with people, and *especially* low-IQ people, mindlessly popping out baby after baby with no regards for the future, planning, how they plan to pay for said baby(s), etc.

Between globalization/trend towards low wages "across the board" and an ever-rising human population I only see the problem getting worse.

Seems Masters degree or PhD level is "the new high school diploma", since everyone and their brother seems to already have a Bachelor's degree (yes, even the STEM ones). You really have to go "all in" on education to make it "stick" these days (that means super super advanced and likely a high student debt load). If you just get a typical 4-year Bachelor's degree you will not stand out at all. The economic reality we currently live in is HARSH to say the least.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
i have 2-3 jobs, but i am not on social media bragging about it.

you know why???

drumroll.......

drumroll....

drumroll...

because i am too busy working to talk about it on social media

and then on weekends, i am posting all of the awesome **** that i am doing because of the fact that having multiple income sources affords me the ability to do those things.

went on a cruise last weekend, camping next weekend, big city, gun range, cigar lounge, beach, fair, oktoberfest, theme parks, concerts, comedy clubs....it goes on. my weekends are full up until new years...no mention of a 2nd job in my status updates.

to the OP, dont be jealous because your one job can only afford you a netflix subscription and a cart full of diabettus causing junk food like the rest of the overweight americans with sub-par work ethic. if what people post on facebook irritates you so much, then stop going on there so much and get a better hobby besides farmville, candy crush and complaining about people with two jobs.

i work to live, not the other way around.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:13 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It's a thing nowadays. I am not sure why it is cool to tell everybody that you are overworked. It makes me feel pity, not envious.

I notice that especially on dating sites. Guys show off with telling you on their profile that they pretty much work 24/7 and think this attract women?? They tell you right away they will never have time for you and if so, you gotta kinda feel guilty about and have the pressure to make their time super exciting. I don't get it.

If you are working 60 or more hours per week, you are doing something WRONG.
I think that's code for they are married.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:14 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i have 2-3 jobs, but i am not on social media bragging about it.

you know why???

drumroll.......

drumroll....

drumroll...

because i am too busy working to talk about it on social media

and then on weekends, i am posting all of the awesome **** that i am doing because of the fact that having multiple income sources affords me the ability to do those things.

went on a cruise last weekend, camping next weekend, big city, gun range, cigar lounge, beach, fair, oktoberfest, theme parks, concerts, comedy clubs....it goes on. my weekends are full up until new years...no mention of a 2nd job in my status updates.

to the OP, dont be jealous because your one job can only afford you a netflix subscription and a cart full of diabettus causing junk food like the rest of the overweight americans with sub-par work ethic. if what people post on facebook irritates you so much, then stop going on there so much and get a better hobby besides farmville, candy crush and complaining about people with two jobs.

i work to live, not the other way around.

How do u do all that and work 60 plus hours a week?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would not work a second job unless it was under the table, no reason to get kicked in the you know what with taxes.
Exactly right.
I don't also want to live a lifestyle that requires me to work beyond 40 hours a week just to pay the bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment