Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

Advertisements

The fact that they can't doesn't annoy me. It's simply indicative of how helpless some are without their technology crutches.

What is annoying, is how the MO, today, is to pile bills and coins on top of the receipt and place it into your hand. With the small bills on the bottom, of course. Having been "burned," I now watch them remove the change from the register to make sure that 5 or 10-dollar bill isn't another 1-dollar bill.

And "counting back" doesn't just mean counting, either. If a customer gave the cashier, say, a 20, the cashier should be able to "count back" to get the correct change from the register, then count back to the customer (not simply count the change). It's not difficult, and it doesn't take any longer than it does for the cashier to look up at the monitor, and down at the register...five times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Didn't realize people still use cash, except for a few elderly who never trusted credit cards.

Danny Wegman, who has customers of all ages in his stores, does realize that. And his stores' multiple registers are sufficiently stocked (or stacked lol) with bills.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
It's very sloppy of the cashier...ever since the cash registers started "telling" them how much to give out they don't count it out.

I don't use cash much...but when I do, since they don't count it out (coins first to get up to the dollar and THEN the bills) they just dump the coins on top of the bills. Maybe it's minor but then I have to juggle the coins to put the bills away and that's in addition to the 10 pages of receipts and coupons and ads they give you!

Put the #&$% coins in the palm of my hand, THEN the bills on top! And put the (trash) and receipt in with the groceries or at least ask me if I want them "in the bag or with you (me)".

And I have the approximate bills already out for you and don't even TRY to make your job easier by giving you some "odd" amount on top to make it come out even, so there! I don't even write checks out any more but when I did I had EVERYTHING filled in but the amount....so cashiers, get off your high horse and actually provide some service or you will CERTAINLY be replaced by self checkout. I'd use it every time but the technology is so bad that half the time human intervention is required anyway that takes 5 minutes for a manager to arrive.

No wonder it's just easier to buy everything online and use PayPal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
"The customer is always right" might rank up there as one of the most misinterpreted phrases in the English language. What it actually means is the "customer" as in your market base is always right in the sense that you should adapt your business model and inventory to things they want/need. It does NOT mean "the customer is like unto a god and you must do everything to kiss their behinds because you are never right you worthless retail wage slave."

Wouldn't all businesses be great places to work if it weren't for the customers... (That's not a question.)

People from "generations ago" know that customers are not always right. But you treat them as if they are. It's called tact, and knowing how to turn a negative experience into a positive one.

Instead of indignantly crabbing about "having to answer to rude customers" [insert foot-stomping smiley here], it would better serve young people to learn that. It's one of those general "people skills" that transfer from one job to another.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Didn't realize people still use cash, except for a few elderly who never trusted credit cards.

I never pay with cash. I don't even carry any.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:07 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Customer service sucks because everyone wants something for nothing. People want to buy products and not pay anything for them. They think they deserve all kinds of discounts and money off. One lady wanted a product for free because it was her "birthday."

Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've heard this from time to time. Some variation of "kids these days don't know how to count change back." Why does that matter? As long as I get the correct change back I couldn't care less if someone counts it back to me.
Why? Because it's lazy and demonstrates an inattention to accuracy.

We're not talking about quantum physics, by the way. We're talking about the simple ability to subtract from 100 and give you the proper number of coins. Hell, the cash register does all the work for you now.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-04-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've heard this from time to time. Some variation of "kids these days don't know how to count change back." Why does that matter? As long as I get the correct change back I couldn't care less if someone counts it back to me.
Unless it is counted how do you know it is correct???

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Are you saying you have to have the cashier count the change back to you so you know it's correct?

Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Seriously? You need a human to count and double check the cash register, that's the only way you can be sure?

These efficiencies that the other generation get so indignant and superior about are called TECHNOLOGY. Yes is is easier to buy online, do it. Someone will be employed online or in a warehouse then, you are not saving civilization by walking in and expecting to be waited on.

How can you think you've made a point by bringing up checkbook balancing?
There is no need to manually balance a checkbook! It's all done online if you check your balance at your banking institutions website. It's called going paperless, the whole worlds trying it out, for some time now, quite successfully. There's no going back

Just because some people have to be be dragged kicking and screaming (insert not cute cute kick and scream emoticon) into the future does not mean time will stand still for them.

If it is a delightful experience for you to have pennies counted out backwards to you, maybe they could provide a touch more customer service and pull out the carbon copy book where every thing is written out legibly of course, and then they can tally up the numbers long hand, you may look it over and surely you'll find a mistake with your superior intelligence and then they can do it all over again for the customer who is always right. What will you do when the day comes that there is no need for pennies?

Lets not progress if some are uncomfortable, we'll wait for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment