Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 10:27 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

I don't fully agree with the OP, but I agree with the idea behind their statement. Because when it comes to layoffs, multiple managers each making $400,000 per year will try to save money by eliminating one worker making $40,000 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 04:49 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I don't fully agree with the OP, but I agree with the idea behind their statement. Because when it comes to layoffs, multiple managers each making $400,000 per year will try to save money by eliminating one worker making $40,000 per year.

Part of this is the great US problem-excess taxation on all. The $40k employee nets $28k, while his cost to his employer is likely 55+k, with 3k for Employer SS, $1k for Worker comp and unemployment insurance, and 12k+ for Employer portion of Health Insurance-which is an average as single coverage is under 8k but family can cost employer 18k.

Notice employer cost is about 200% employees net pay.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:51 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Part of this is the great US problem-excess taxation on all. The $40k employee nets $28k, while his cost to his employer is likely 55+k, with 3k for Employer SS, $1k for Worker comp and unemployment insurance, and 12k+ for Employer portion of Health Insurance-which is an average as single coverage is under 8k but family can cost employer 18k.

Notice employer cost is about 200% employees net pay.
Go do business in Somalia than. They will leave you alone to count your stacks of money. Good luck making any money though.

If you can't make a profit in America, than you won't stand much chance elsewhere. This government makes it particularly easy to succeed, if you are willing to actually get off your rear end and work for it. Just look at all the tax credits, subsidies and various handouts that go to big biz/corporations. Plenty of tax credits and handouts for the resourceful small biz owner too.

Unless you would prefer communism, where the government just tells you what your business will be, and what you will do, and what you will do it for. Many American business owners do seem to favor the communist system, based on who they do business with.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Management doesn't have anything to do with babysitting. Perhaps low level supervisory positions do, but management is about strategy development, competitive analysis and response, responding to and attempting to influence the regulatory environment, driving innovation, setting corporate culture and values, accessing capital markets, establishing strategic partnerships, new business development, keeping the company compliant with taxing authorities and competition authorities, and regulatory authorities worldwide, etc.

Amen, at real corps. The OP has mostly been around mom and pops, and 90% of those fail for one basic reason: They are clueless in terms of knowing how to run a business. They are thinking about the next 2 weeks, instead of 5+ years down the road as they should be looking.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen, at real corps. The OP has mostly been around mom and pops, and 90% of those fail for one basic reason: They are clueless in terms of knowing how to run a business. They are thinking about the next 2 weeks, instead of 5+ years down the road as they should be looking.
That is simply not true. Most of the companies I have worked for were around 30 years old. I have worked for a couple corporations, but didn't really find those places to be anything special. At the time, they were focusing on ways to reduce worker wages, instead of promoting efficiency and cooperation. Naturally, those work environments devolved into pointless management vs worker war zones.

By and large, nobody with a brain would want to work for the companies still left competing for the crumbs. Most workers seem to agree, the jobs were better 20-30 years ago. Of course, there is no shortage of people who want to work in management.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
At the time, they were focusing on ways to reduce worker wages, instead of promoting efficiency and cooperation. Naturally, those work environments devolved into pointless management vs worker war zones.
I suspect it depends on the industry. I spent my career in High Tech in Silicon Valley at large companies and small (I was on the board of directors of a startup that we took public, for example). My experience is that the focus tends to be cyclical. There are times when you have to tighten the belt to survive, of course. Yes, Only the Paranoid Survive, but afterwards it is all about expansion, expansion, expansion.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I suspect it depends on the industry. I spent my career in High Tech in Silicon Valley at large companies and small (I was on the board of directors of a startup that we took public, for example). My experience is that the focus tends to be cyclical. There are times when you have to tighten the belt to survive, of course. Yes, Only the Paranoid Survive, but afterwards it is all about expansion, expansion, expansion.
Companies in my line of work have been "tightening their belt" for 30 years now. And the industry continues to decline overall, as one would expect. You have to spend money to make money. That's something that an awful lot of managers, CEOs and Wallstreet types don't like to hear. But it's the cold, hard truth.

I've seen more than a few companies get in trouble by "investing" in dirt cheap, beat up, old, obsolete equipment that no one knew how to run. Then they got mad at everyone when the "investment" failed, and they fired everyone. Then they hired a whole new crew, only to have the same problem. This is why many workers don't take their management staff seriously. The only way to make them take it seriously would be to pay their workers well, which they cannot afford to do. So most leave, taking their skillset and experience with them. Again, the tightening of the belt in action.

I've seen once good companies bought by speculators, that basically did the same thing. Same results. Most of those companies have permanent help wanted signs up, because no one with a brain would want to work there.

Companies might find a way to survive like this, by running a barely profitable revolving door, or living on debt and credit, but they certainly won't thrive. And compete globally? LOL, ya right. Customers will simply invest their time and money developing operations in countries that have competent, knowledgeable people.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:43 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
LOL. Hit a nerve?

I have been offered management positions before. I don't come to work to babysit though. Not for me, thank you.

"Management" seems to have "hit a nerve" with you. So if you where the Manger, you would be coming to work and manage "Babies" in your workplace? And your the only one there that's not a Baby, right?

If you didn't have so many "Babies" in the work force, you would not need as many managers. Managers have to babysit because of employees. If a "Baby" decides he wants to loaf a day. and not come to work, the Manager has to compensate. If an employee wants to be a Prim Donna, and not do his share, the Manager has to fix it. If you screw up, the Manager gets the grief. Some people can never be Managers, because the can't even manage themselves.

Being "offered" a chance to fly a 747 does not mean you could even get it rolling if you tried.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
"Management" seems to have "hit a nerve" with you. So if you where the Manger, you would be coming to work and manage "Babies" in your workplace? And your the only one there that's not a Baby, right?

If you didn't have so many "Babies" in the work force, you would not need as many managers. Managers have to babysit because of employees. If a "Baby" decides he wants to loaf a day. and not come to work, the Manager has to compensate. If an employee wants to be a Prim Donna, and not do his share, the Manager has to fix it. If you screw up, the Manager gets the grief. Some people can never be Managers, because the can't even manage themselves.

Being "offered" a chance to fly a 747 does not mean you could even get it rolling if you tried.
Management doesn't bother me. They are a necessary evil at many companies. Those that hire poor quality workers often require more management to get anything out of their workers.

The best companies I have ever worked for had no management though. Best work environment, and any problems that came up were very quickly and efficiently solved. There was no management to bog down the process and interfere, while creating strife among workers. Since they didn't have to pay outrageous salaries to parasites, they could afford to invest in modern, state of the art equipment. They also kept this equipment in good condition, because they didn't hire cheap labor to destroy everything. If more companies were run this way, I think America would be kicking ass and the economy would be growing at a far greater rate.

My problem is with incompetent management, that only manages to bleed their companies dry, while finding ways to blame their workers. That's what far too many mangers are doing today in my experience. They are holding their companies, employees and America back.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:59 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
If those of you saying it's an "insider club" had ANY experience at a professional company, you would know that it has nothing to do with friends promoting friends. It is all about work ethic, knowledge, and experience.

Getting a job can be a "who you know" thing due to referrals but promotions themselves are not handed out to and usually go to the most talented.

Exactly. If anything, its an "Outsiders" Club, because you have to set aside Personal feelings, and if your smart, you won't build Personal relationships with employees, since most would take advantage of that, and the others would think your playing favorites. If your a decent Manager, you weed out the ones with Bad attitudes, which are like a Poison, in the workplace, keep the ones you can work with. If you do your Job right, and build a Team, they will respect you, what you do for them, and do their job to make the Team better.

The problem with "Non Team Players" is that they usually think they are worth more than they really are, and don't recognize the fact that being a Manager is actually a Leadership Position. The World has enough Managers, but lacks Leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment