Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
LOL. Hit a nerve?

I have been offered management positions before. I don't come to work to babysit though. Not for me, thank you.
So - let me sum this up.
  • Complain about management's ability.
  • Gets the opportunity to be management - and perhaps make changes for the positive.
  • Decided that complaining about management's ability is easier.

Like staff, there are good managers and bad managers. And like staff - it's much easier to pick out the bad ones than the good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Do companies have a tendency to just take all the useless people and make them managers?
Being the big business person that I am, I can give you my perspective. I feel what you say CAN be true if we are talking about jobs in easy fields like retail. The person running the show can just promote friends. If it is a more technical field that is demanding, I think it isn't as easy for the top folks just to promote friends or those that they have fun with at work.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
If those of you saying it's an "insider club" had ANY experience at a professional company, you would know that it has nothing to do with friends promoting friends. It is all about work ethic, knowledge, and experience.

Getting a job can be a "who you know" thing due to referrals but promotions themselves are not handed out to and usually go to the most talented.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
If those of you saying it's an "insider club" had ANY experience at a professional company, you would know that it has nothing to do with friends promoting friends. It is all about work ethic, knowledge, and experience.

Getting a job can be a "who you know" thing due to referrals but promotions themselves are not handed out to and usually go to the most talented.
Agreed.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
LOL. Hit a nerve?

I have been offered management positions before. I don't come to work to babysit though. Not for me, thank you.
Management doesn't have anything to do with babysitting. Perhaps low level supervisory positions do, but management is about strategy development, competitive analysis and response, responding to and attempting to influence the regulatory environment, driving innovation, setting corporate culture and values, accessing capital markets, establishing strategic partnerships, new business development, keeping the company compliant with taxing authorities and competition authorities, and regulatory authorities worldwide, etc.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

In order to keep the corporation compliant with EOO/AA regulations, corporations have rules requiring hiring managers to interview diverse candidates and hire diverse candidates in preference to "I know a guy" candidates.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
It seems like management does not understand the work being done at many companies I have worked for. They are completely in the dark, have no interest in learning, and are often very lazy and unmotivated. Many of them have a difficult time controlling their emotions. Some are real whiny and wouldn't last a day doing a real job.

I never had any real trouble working with management. They are just people trying to make a living too I assume. But it seems like when the ratio of management to worker grows, the work environments get worse.

Do companies have a tendency to just take all the useless people and make them managers?
I'm in management, and I have seen some serious tantrums in the board room. There are some dictators out there, but it appears to be mostly a generational issue that's fading out of the workplace. The worst group dynamics are always at the top.

However, the issue with management to worker ratios is that at some point, managers are not managing people, just a spreadsheet of names. A "manager" is effectively just an extension of accounting at that point, and often lack knowledge about what's going on directly underneath them. Two managers with equivalent titles might have totally different management skills depending on where they manage, and how many people they're responsible for.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:37 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
It would be ideal for management to understand the ins and outs of his/her department, to the very minute detail. But in many cases, a manager's role is to make sure that his/her team meets their goals. S/he is there to provide the necessary support for his/her team to get the job done. S/he is also there to make sure that his/her team is on the right path to achieving their goals, and if it is not, then the manager must take the appropriate actions to get the team back on path.

That said, a good manager will learn as much as they can about the department they are managing. But with that in mind, the apropos idiom is that a good manager sees the forest for the trees. They should not be concerned with all the minute detail as they should about the big picture, because they simply do not have the time for all of that. It is your job, as the team member, to handle the small picture stuff. That is why you were hired. If you need assistance with a small detail, that is where you manager should take an active role in understanding the problem and helping you to resolve it.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM

221 posts, read 183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Companies have an awful habit of promoting the most useless up the chain while leaving the best qualified individuals where they are at
The Dilbert Principle: Companies tend to systematically promote their least-competent employees to management (generally middle management), in order to limit the amount of damage they are capable of doing.

So much truth in satire.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
In order to keep the corporation compliant with EOO/AA regulations, corporations have rules requiring hiring managers to interview diverse candidates and hire diverse candidates in preference to "I know a guy" candidates.
Referrals are a huge part of the business world. Referrals are always preferred over external candidates and there is no law against choosing a referral who has a proven history of good work ethic over another unknown candidate, all other things equal. Everyone knows that who you know plays a huge part in the opportunities you are presented with in finding jobs. But nobody will refer someone who sucks at their job... so skills still takes precedence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment