Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:08 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Wow. But if that is the case, why not just tell me when I come back from vacation?
Why ruin my vacation AND fire me?
Wouldn't a decent person allow me to enjoy my vacation and then give me the news when I get back?
Absolutely that's what a decent person would do. I actually DID get laid off 10 years ago on the day I was leaving for a 10 day vacation! I was obviously really upset at first. I couldn't cancel my vacation without losing all my money, and I was traveling with a friend, so wouldn't have been fair to her. I didn't have time to file for unemployment before I left. But the thing is, I really didn't like that job, so after a couple of days, I was relieved I didn't have to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Time to start looking in earnest.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:45 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
the higher-ups are unhappy with your performance and you will need to do a performance improvement plan when you come back?

Would you have preferred that your boss tell you when he did, or wish he had waited til you returned from vacation?

Would you think your boss is telling you that, under the circumstances, you shouldn't be taking vacation at all?

On my last full time job I was told the day before my vacation that I "should look for another job while on vacation". The job had become so stressful as the company grew that I had to start working 50+ hours a week just to keep up. I kept asking for some part time help which I never got and I guess when my stress levels became very apparent they decided to hire someone else. They wind up hiring that part time person in addition to replacing me.

BTW I took my vacation and never went back. It was a blessing in disguise.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
if you're in a union and you know its going to be difficult to get rid of you - enjoy your vacation and when you get back work on the PIP! Doesn't sound like they can actually let you go, so work on improving for them. That sure beats looking for a new job - i have going through all that hassle personally.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Maybe your boss is just miserable and sadistic and he is jealous that you are going away.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM

436 posts, read 520,945 times
Interesting responses. A few people here don't see any issue with that?

What a crappy thing to tell someone before they go on vacation.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 AM

521 posts, read 292,396 times
He says higher ups are not happy with your performance. . What about him? Why didn't he told you about his opinion in your performance? Does he have any opinion at all?

Your boss is very weak person, really

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
the higher-ups are unhappy with your performance and you will need to do a performance improvement plan when you come back?

Would you have preferred that your boss tell you when he did, or wish he had waited til you returned from vacation?

Would you think your boss is telling you that, under the circumstances, you shouldn't be taking vacation at all?
It's impossible for a bunch of strangers on a forum to know what was going through your manager's head. Maybe he/she is being sadistic. Maybe they themselves would rather know sooner than later - so are operating under that perspective.

In the end, there's never a good time to tell an employee that they are 'failing'. In this case YOU would have preferred to not know until you got back. But as a practice, I'm sure someone else would have wanted to know before their vacation.

It's likely that this is not a sudden thing. And you taking a vacation may have been that last straw.

In either case, depending on how PIPs are viewed in your company. It may be more of a formality than an actual attempt to change your performance.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Agreed, maybe it is better to resign rather than to stick around and "cause trouble" as you say. This is what I fear.
For my professional reputation. But also for my health (I don't really have the stomach for it).

I should also mention that it will be hard (but not impossible) for them to fire me, because we are in a union. So they will need a paper trail, which will take some time of course.
Do NOT resign. Your boss IMO is an ass to do this to you before vacation.

I had a very similar thing happen to me. My boss sent me an action plan just before I went on vacation. Needless to say I found a new job very quickly.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:32 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
As far as vacation time goes, there is never an ideal time to tell someone their work needs improvement.

I would enjoy the time off and first day back schedule time to meet with superiors and set up a plan to achieve their goals with periodic meetings to discuss progress. Make sure the goals are quantifiable, not subjective. If both parties are sincere, you will get past this. If not, they will use this to streamline your way out the door.

In the interim, hedge your bet by getting your resume out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment