Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:38 AM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's not a threat. Technology always leads to an improvement in standards of living. So bring it on!

I love it, too, as it has led to an explosion in management bonuses nationwide, and will continue to do so.

It is not good though for labor overall and we have yet to see most of the affects but it is not far off. AI is the game changer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:50 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
This sub is one of my favorites on CD. I enjoy the different perspectives/opinions. And like anywhere else, you have those that have been dealt an unlucky card, and they just need a place to vent their frustration. You also get some folks that probably needs to do a bit of growing up. All in all, it's just people sharing their view points.

And like anything else, people tend to be more likely to share negative experiences/feedback. So it's not surprising that more threads tend to fall in that area.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:07 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I love it, too, as it has led to an explosion in management bonuses nationwide, and will continue to do so.

It is not good though for labor overall and we have yet to see most of the affects but it is not far off. AI is the game changer.
Workers are more productive today. That is what fed your bonus. 50 years ago, increases in worker productivity contributed to a rising paycheck for said worker. Today, that is not necessarily true. I'll leave you to ponder why that might be the case, and why many workers don't like your ilk.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I've noticed how may people blame the big, bad, mean managers for all of their work woes. Is it just me or do a large number of folks take no responsibility for being fired, laid off, given a warning, etc.? I hear a lot of, "Everyone's late sometimes, everyone makes mistakes, my boss doesn't like me..."

As someone who has been in the workforce for 30 years in every capacity from peon to upper-level management, I can honestly say that everyone I have fired/seen be fired deserved to be fired. I'm not talking about mass layoffs for cost-cutting measures, but true firings. Some are blatant like being chronically late, but some may be more subtle.

Is it just me or does anyone else seem to get the sense that everyone thinks they got fired or reprimanded for things that are not their fault?

And? Probably most people on this board have seen people who shouldn't have been fired, just as they've seen people get promoted who shouldn't have received a promotion.

I had a job that had some SERIOUSLY shady things going on that fired everyone, including me more than once, because they felt like it. I am not even exaggerating when I say that everyone who has worked there at some point (even people still there) has been fired. Then they would hire people they knew they could screw over and play around with their money---and who would perform some favors for the bosses to keep their jobs. The manager would sit around drinking in his office and watched horse racing all day. He had my co-worker go across the street and pick-up a prescription for male enhancement. And at least one of the guys at the helm went to prison. To top it all off, they have asked me more than once to come back and work there. There is much more that I could go on and on that would probably terrify some people but you think a job like that is going to give a crap about doing things right?

I had a MEH job after that but I almost kissed the ground when I got the job I have had now for almost three years. Since I am actually a great employee, I always get good reviews and my boss even encouraged me to apply to other positions that would lead to management, which she hasn't really recommended to anyone else. Are there people who get fired who deserve it? Absolutely. We had someone who made a big mistake at my job maybe two years ago and she was fired. Because she had been kind of difficult as an employee, I think she shot herself in the foot and no one wanted to fight for her. But my point is this---anyone can fire anyone for any reason---it doesn't have to be a good one. Yes, of course, people deserve to be fired but there are times where there is no REAL reason---someone just might not like you. (Or you work for some sick people, like I did at the job mentioned above.)

Like others stated, people come here to vent. You probably don't hear as much from people who have been fired for legitimate reasons because they have nothing to stand on---I don't see as many of those postings around here.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
And? Probably most people on this board have seen people who shouldn't have been fired, just as they've seen people get promoted who shouldn't have received a promotion.

I had a job that had some SERIOUSLY shady things going on that fired everyone, including me more than once, because they felt like it. I am not even exaggerating when I say that everyone who has worked there at some point (even people still there) has been fired. Then they would hire people they knew they could screw over and play around with their money---and who would perform some favors for the bosses to keep their jobs. The manager would sit around drinking in his office and watched horse racing all day. He had my co-worker go across the street and pick-up a prescription for male enhancement. And at least one of the guys at the helm went to prison. To top it all off, they have asked me more than once to come back and work there. There is much more that I could go on and on that would probably terrify some people but you think a job like that is going to give a crap about doing things right?

I had a MEH job after that but I almost kissed the ground when I got the job I have had now for almost three years. Since I am actually a great employee, I always get good reviews and my boss even encouraged me to apply to other positions that would lead to management, which she hasn't really recommended to anyone else. Are there people who get fired who deserve it? Absolutely. We had someone who made a big mistake at my job maybe two years ago and she was fired. Because she had been kind of difficult as an employee, I think she shot herself in the foot and no one wanted to fight for her. But my point is this---anyone can fire anyone for any reason---it doesn't have to be a good one. Yes, of course, people deserve to be fired but there are times where there is no REAL reason---someone just might not like you. (Or you work for some sick people, like I did at the job mentioned above.)

Like others stated, people come here to vent. You probably don't hear as much from people who have been fired for legitimate reasons because they have nothing to stand on---I don't see as many of those postings around here.
It's up to workers to vote with their feet. If you don't agree with the way a company is being run, you must leave, and work to support better people. I have no problem working hard. But I won't work hard for people who I consider human garbage.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Workers are more productive today. That is what fed your bonus. .

Labor is a commodity, and management today is far better at sourcing that commodity well, to maximize shareholder value. Deciding where to source it is a sign that white collar America is far more productive today. Maximizing the paychecks of a commodity is not their job Maximizing shareholder value is.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Labor is a commodity, and management today is far better at sourcing that commodity well, to maximize shareholder value. Deciding where to source it is a sign that white collar America is far more productive today. Maximizing the paychecks of a commodity is not their job Maximizing shareholder value is.
Because USD is ridiculously powerful. You are lucky to live in a nation that has afford you such a magnificent standard of living and such immense opportunities. The sweat at toil of previous generations made this possible, and you should be more thankful.

Instead of bragging about the upper hand you enjoy over you workers, you should be thinking of ways to maximize their potential, and improving their output, so both sides can enjoy an ever rising standard of living. But you're not doing that. You're busy watching baseball and gloating about your 401K. Your management style is not compatible with anyone with a brain. It's designed for mental midgets and programmable robots. That's it. And that's who you probably surround yourself by.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Is that why companies are bending over backward to attract millennials with tons of perks like Parental Leave, flexible schedules etc. Anyone who has a job should be thankful, since there is someone sitting in mud hut with no indoor plumbing who craps in a hole in the ground that will do your job for less than a $1 per hour and do it better and they won't complain.
Then hire those "mud hut" people. However, it's quite the hassle to get them over here. And when they realize the cost of living here vs. their mud huts, such low wages won't do.

And actually, one shouldn't automatically be thankful for ANY JOB. If folks work in FF, MW, etc. then you'll get an earful from folks here on C-D how you should've gotten better education, training, bettered yourself, yada yada yada.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:22 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Someone like me????? Are you making assumptions? By your choice of names you quoted, are you assuming that I'm Black?
No, I have no idea what race you are, not do I care, since it is not relevant to this discussion. I was just giving examples of why telling people that "life isn't fair" is not a valid excuse.

When I said "someone like you", I was referring to how you tend to always side with the employer, and how you have zero empathy for anybody who had a bad break in life. It had nothing at all to do with race.

Quote:
Your post fails on many fronts. In any case, fairness is not a factor when it comes to employment termination.
But again, how are you defining "fairness"?

Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Instead of bragging about the upper hand you enjoy over you workers, you should be thinking of ways to maximize their potential, and improving their output, so both sides can enjoy an ever rising standard of living. .

Our entire office is treated superbly; with a large portion earning annual bonuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment