Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your employer offer wellness benefits?
Yes 12 80.00%
No 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:49 PM

390 posts, read 379,506 times

Advertisements

Yes. We just started this in 2016. We save about $100/ month on our premium if we pass 3/5 stipulations in our assessment. I have lost 70 pounds but started in 2015 so to them right now from 2016 to 2017 it only looks like I have lost 29. We will see what 2018 brings. They are big HUGE on not smoking and weight control. My labs are all fine the only thing I didn't pass is the BMI but since it's only one thing I am OK.

I think it's good incentive however I will never reach my BMI at my age so if they ever say you have to pass 100% I am screwed. But they also offer smoking cessation, nutritionist services, and other health related services free of charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In our case, it’s a choice of $1,000 contributed to our HSA or about $80/month off the monthly premium. It requires at least “2,000 points” earned.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
I'm retired now, but my former employer would give money to our HSA for meeting various goals, mini-check up, stop smoking, flu shot, etc. They also negotiated corporate rates at the local Y and other gyms in the area. A former store front in the company headquarters was turned into a lunch time and after work wellness center that offered free Zumba, yoga, aerobics etc.
The coffee shop in the lobby was encouraged to carry healthy options (in addition to the usual donuts and bagels).
It spread through the corporate culture. There was an annual "fit-team" competition that ran through the summer and fall. Walking and running groups sprang up. The free snacks in the break areas would now include fruits, humus, veggies with yogurt dip and a refrigerated lazy-Susan that contained the makings of mini-salads.
I would say that about 40% of the employees took advantage of most of these changes

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
Yes. We just started this in 2016. We save about $100/ month on our premium if we pass 3/5 stipulations in our assessment. I have lost 70 pounds but started in 2015 so to them right now from 2016 to 2017 it only looks like I have lost 29. We will see what 2018 brings. They are big HUGE on not smoking and weight control. My labs are all fine the only thing I didn't pass is the BMI but since it's only one thing I am OK.

I think it's good incentive however I will never reach my BMI at my age so if they ever say you have to pass 100% I am screwed. But they also offer smoking cessation, nutritionist services, and other health related services free of charge.
Interesting that it's based on the assessment... hopefully it's about improvement on the assessment and not you need to meet X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In our case, it’s a choice of $1,000 contributed to our HSA or about $80/month off the monthly premium. It requires at least “2,000 points” earned.
2,000 seems like quite a bit, unless those points are really easy to obtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I'm retired now, but my former employer would give money to our HSA for meeting various goals, mini-check up, stop smoking, flu shot, etc. They also negotiated corporate rates at the local Y and other gyms in the area. A former store front in the company headquarters was turned into a lunch time and after work wellness center that offered free Zumba, yoga, aerobics etc.
The coffee shop in the lobby was encouraged to carry healthy options (in addition to the usual donuts and bagels).
It spread through the corporate culture. There was an annual "fit-team" competition that ran through the summer and fall. Walking and running groups sprang up. The free snacks in the break areas would now include fruits, humus, veggies with yogurt dip and a refrigerated lazy-Susan that contained the makings of mini-salads.
I would say that about 40% of the employees took advantage of most of these changes
I personally think the wellness programs are a good idea, but I have heard of them not being that common. It appears they may be more common than I thought. I'm not sure if I will ever use one of the on-site gyms but getting a discount at one of the major gym chains is a huge plus. On top of the premium discount, I reduce my premium by more than 50%. That's probably the best benefit out of all of it.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
The "savings" we get on premiums vs the hoops you have to jump through make it not worth my time, so I checked "no". The savings are a pittance...a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment