Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times

Advertisements

Yea, maybe parts of Ohio. The first place I thought of was the Dallas/FW area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
You can live cheap in San Antonio and it's a great city

Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Lots of votes for Dallas, it appears. friends moved there a decade ago from the deep south and never looked back. they've done well. West is the way to go, as in west of the Mississippi.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:15 AM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
OP, head to Texas. DFW is the place to be these days and jobs are plentiful. I would highly suggest that your wife get a teacher's certificate- I know for a fact that the starting salary of the teachers in our district starts at 55K. Have you ever thought of going into the HVAC field? I mean, think about it. Texas? Air conditioning? Talk about job security!

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
Our hometown which was growing rapidly through the 1990s and early 2000s has experienced massive layoffs and closes since around 2009 and 10 due to sequestration and economy downturn. My wife and I want to have kids and start a family but since we graduated with college degrees in 2010 our area absolutely sucks and the frustration drove me up the wall. So last year I desigend an exit strategy to get us away to better prospects. Now we live in an RV and completely mobile to live cheaply while we get our lives sorted out and can now move wherever we want.

Now the question, where in the country would we have the best luck in being able to land carreers given our current situation? I have been working maintenance type jobs mostly and my wife pre-school education, but we are willing to do anything anywhere!!! Anybody have any suggestions of thriving areas like the small town we left used to be?

Wait. What? Obama says America is humming along just peachy. Plenty of jobs out there!

You can move to Tysons Corner, Virginia or Seattle, Washington but you'll need a lot of cake once you arrive.

The regions/cities with the great economies are often too expensive to relocate to without living with untenable commutes.
However they also tend to the most recession-proof. It's a catch-22 for millions of people.

I feel your pain OP. I was there 35-years ago. You will make it if you want it bad enough.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:57 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Go to Dallas and drive for Super Shuttle. I talked to a guy and he was driving 7 days a week by choice making good money and tips. While driving start with a network marketing company to build a side business. Texas is popping.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:17 PM

486 posts, read 653,607 times
Today's paper, Ocala FL has a couple hundred openings for teachers. FedEx just opened a new distribution center and another one as yet unnamed is on its way. Lots of jobs around this area.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:42 PM

379 posts, read 339,493 times
Quote:
Our hometown which was growing rapidly through the 1990s and early 2000s has experienced massive layoffs and closes since around 2009 and 10 due to sequestration and economy downturn. My wife and I want to have kids and start a family but since we graduated with college degrees in 2010 our area absolutely sucks and the frustration drove me up the wall. So last year I desigend an exit strategy to get us away to better prospects. Now we live in an RV and completely mobile to live cheaply while we get our lives sorted out and can now move wherever we want.

Now the question, where in the country would we have the best luck in being able to land carreers given our current situation? I have been working maintenance type jobs mostly and my wife pre-school education, but we are willing to do anything anywhere!!! Anybody have any suggestions of thriving areas like the small town we left used to be?
According to one of my friends who essentially started over at the age of 37, Austin is the place to be. I have never wanted to live in Texas but am seriously considering it.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Hahaha
There are a lot of people who are teaching English in Korea, Vietnam, etc. Wouldn't dismiss it outright. I've always regretted that I didn't live in another country at some point. It's pretty good money, two of you together could probably save $2K a month.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Go to Dallas and drive for Super Shuttle. I talked to a guy and he was driving 7 days a week by choice making good money and tips. While driving start with a network marketing company to build a side business. Texas is popping.
How much money can you really make doing something like that? Even 7 days a week, seems like it would be tough to make a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment