Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:13 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Anyone that proved they can get through 4 years of college (Especially with a good GPA) ESPECIALLY if its STEM Related should be to have an abundance of jobs opportunities, In this so called "greatest country in the world" :roll eyes: And not have to clean toilets or work menial jobs when they bring so much more to the table.

Broken system, Broken employers. If you don't have any options but toilet cleaning or handing out coffee to people with a four year degree, something is SERIOUSLY wrong with america. Bottom line.

And why is it always the college graduates fault? If they are applying for jobs they are: Qualified for or beyond qualified for and applying to many positions, someone should pick them up. Its just ridiculous what college graduates have to deal with today. Bright students who can bring so much value to a company and all they can get are crap jobs?

If its the greatest country in the world, college graduates shouldn't have to resort to cleaning crappers to support themselves and pay back student loans.

And what the hell is up with these employers not utilizing bright college graduates?
Because it's easier to be picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
I have a worthless piece of paper and so does my wife. Everybody i know who went to college for the most part have **** jobs and my friends who dropped out or went to tech school are much farther ahead financially.

No way will I encourage my kids to go to college, unless it's engineer, med doctor, etc. they say engineering might be the next worthless piece of paper with it being the #1 picked major of high school seniors. I'm not sure how many engineers are in need. My best friend has a bachelors in mechanical enginnering technology and was cleaning toilets with me at my last job (i got him on, he was working fast food)

So that said, best of luck to you. Insurance companies will hire you entry level and like people with degrees. I did it and worked alongside people with a. GED and masters grads doing the same job LOL.
I'm leaning towards your way of thinking. Not everyone needs to go to college. In my parent's day, the purpose of going to college was to get a degree that would lead to a long term career that pays well. Now anyone can go to college and get worthless degrees and run up student loans.

I got a stupid degree (Political Science), with a view towards going to Law School. Life happened and I did not complete my law degree, but I was able to use that background to my advantage and have had a very successful career as a paralegal.

And seconding another poster, paralegal positions are very competitive and starting out they can be horribly boring and tedious. Think document review and document organization.

I think it is a great career, but it takes about 10 years to get to that point.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:30 PM

158 posts, read 98,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. A ME degree from a mediocre school with C's is a cleaning toilets career trajectory. Any technical degree just means that if you got good grades, you're trainable, and have the neurons and work ethic to do the job. It's not like most technical/professional people actually use 90% of their coursework for anything other than background information. If a resume showed up on my desk with lots of in-major C's from a lousy state school, it's going straight into the trash. Those are not rigorous programs. That's a certificate of attendance.

What's broken is that 18-year-olds are allowed to borrow $75K to attend Western Outer Nowhere State U that used to be a state teacher's college to sit in an "engineering" classroom full of SAT 500 Math score students and only gets C's. With that kind of background, they have zero shot of even sitting for passing PE exams to get a paper pushing state/local government bureaucracy job. Certainly, the private sector isn't going to hire someone like that to "engineer" something.
Where did you go to college and what degree? Just curious.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshGrad92 View Post
I recently graduated from college with a B.A in English and Literature. I minored in Political Science, Im contemplating pursuing a Paralegal certificate and getting into the Paralegal field... Any suggestions?
Actually English is an decent degree and its not that easy to get. You gotta bust your hump. Most English majors can talk circles around all other majors and debate them into "dust." Hopefully you picked up another language too. Never put down someone with critical analytical skills. Most college graduates can't critically analysis "jack."

I would say you have an excellent head-start in getting into paralegal studies. However, you'll need to get a degree. A Masters degree in Paralegal Science (yeah them have them) is a good choice. High Level Paralegals can get jobs making 6 figs in Hugh Law Firms (where-as the avg. Law School Graduates will be competing against 1000 applicants for a shot at a job in a Major Firm).

Check it out...

Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
Where did you go to college and what degree? Just curious.
University of Vermont. Double major. BS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Tau Beta Pi engineering society. A top 100 school, barely.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:27 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
The problem is we have a saturation of college grads with not enough "college required" jobs to go around. This is not only an issue in America, but even in China where you have people with PhD's waiting tables or driving taxis.

This is exactly what big corporate wanted. Create an over-supply of college educated people so they can be as picky as they want and pay as little as they want. Years ago a college grad was a rarity, and companies would compete for them. Today a college degree is a new high school diploma.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times
[quote=Galvatron210;45094526]When you say professional experience, what are you referring to? A salary job or just a job period?

My experience has been just a job, whether that job is salary or hourly, it doesn't matter. Bottom line is for the most part employers want experience before they hire (not counting family/friend connections ) and as said earlier if you did work/ intern during college then its a bit easier. "Critical thinking, insight and great communication skills" are great but real life experiences will sell your resume so much better.

The real hell happens when X company is hiring only 2 graphic design interns for the summer and you have 20+ graphic design students applying for those 2 spots. Woe to the 18 who don't get the internship.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,897,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Today a college degree is a new high school diploma.
This is simply not true. Only 32% of the U.S. population has a Bachelors, people with HS diplomas are a dime a dozen.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Anyone that proved they can get through 4 years of college (Especially with a good GPA) ESPECIALLY if its STEM Related should be to have an abundance of jobs opportunities

And why is it always the college graduates fault? If they are applying for jobs they are: Qualified for or beyond qualified for and applying to many positions, someone should pick them up. Its just ridiculous what college graduates have to deal with today. Bright students who can bring so much value to a company and all they can get are crap jobs?
Why do you think someone is qualified when they have no experience? What exactly does having a good GPA prove?
Because anything related to just spitting out a set answer an be automated...

What accomplishments does your fictional stem grad have to their name that sets them apart from another generic stem grad?

Old 08-13-2016, 03:31 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Why do you think someone is qualified when they have no experience? What exactly does having a good GPA prove?
Because anything related to just spitting out a set answer an be automated...

What accomplishments does your fictional stem grad have to their name that sets them apart from another generic stem grad?
The degree and good grades merely mean they have some work ethic and are probably trainable. STEM tends to be heavier in analytical problem solving. It's not memorizing something and spitting out an answer. In better schools, liberal arts is also all about critical thinking and analysis. The problem is that the majority of the US college system is College-lite. You don't get the critical thinking and analysis in community colleges and the 3rd tier state schools that largely used to be state teachers colleges. The students aren't smart enough or motivated enough. The professors teach to the level of student sitting in the classroom. It's that memorize and spit back you're talking about.

A STEM grad with good grades from a top university is very capable. They had to be very capable to get admitted in the first place. A STEM grad from a low ranked state school might be capable but probably isn't. If you are hiring, you have to screen them very carefully. With today's college economics, you have some capable kids going to commuter schools because it is all they can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment