Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 AM

273 posts, read 209,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Ask for an exit interview. It's reasonable to ask an employer for feedback as to why they found your performance less than ideal. Do it politely and in the spirit of you learning how you can improve your skills or work on whatever is at issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Definitely ask. I would be worried that perhaps someone has been contacting employers and telling them something bad about me - is that possible? Do you have any skeletons in the closet? Is it possible that bad reference found out where you work and called them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would definitely try to get more info. It sounds like you're trying to do things correctly but it isn't working out and you don't know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
That's crazy. Absolutely follow up. Something is definitely going on.
I went to the office to pick up my final pay check and spoke with the office manager for about 20 minutes (my direct bosses weren't there).

Apparently, there was some sort of audit that was done by some outside company. The results of the audit just came back yesterday evening. She went to the office and called me immediately to let me know that I was out (apparently, she didn't consult with one of the owners of the company who is on vacation now....this just automatic).

She said that they liked me and that I didn't do anything wrong. I was just "not a good fit". She said that it's happened to others before me. When I was interviewed, I was told that many people before me quit under bizarre circumstances. But apparently they were all fired in a similar manner to the way I was.

She also said that I shouldn't take this as a firing, but that it just wasn't working out for either of us and that it's pretty much mutual (what?). She said that this is what I should put down on future job applications and that my bosses would gladly give me a positive reference if I ask for one.

But here's the real kicker: I opened my paycheck and got a big surprise. Apparently, they added an extra check in there that will pay me through next week (severance pay?).

The entire situation is like something from the twilight zone. I don't even know what to think about it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
America is a country on the decline where GOOD workers don't make it and the worst stupid people become bosses. Look at yourself seriously and see if you are to blame; otherwise, there could be a secret conspiracy against you to prevent steady employment.

I strongly suspect there is a secret database of everyone working in America. And if the NWO tells your employer to fire you, they will fire you. And prevent you from working too.

There are also books on Amazon predicting that America will be destroyed, because it is an evil Babylon that poisons the World with its bad music and movies & etc...
Maybe. With some of the experiences I've had recently, this actually could be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
How long have you been out of the military? What was your MOS? What were the position you were hired for?
I've been out for about 6 months.

I don't want to say my MOS (for fear of outing myself), but it does translate over somewhat. Apparently, not enough though.

Quote:
Unfortunately, despite all the marketing saying otherwise, military veterans are one of the highest unemployed group in the USA. A large part is militarily work doesn't translate well to civilian employment, Military operations within job functions don't always translate well to civilian operations even for some similar positions. But most often, military personal structure actually interfere with the integration back into civilian life. Because there is no real effective transition process (most programs have been shown to be a failure) many veterans walk out with a distorted view of their values and opportunities. Fortunately, the transition does get easier as time goes on.

This is a difficult subject to discuss as not many are willing to admit they are going through the exacat same thing you are going through. As a result, recently discharged veterans think its them when it's just a need to reorganize your way of doing things to work within the civilian world.
I don't know. Most of my friends are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Hmmm..

I did not have a hard time transitioning. We had a great TAPS (Transition Assistance) program on base. In fact, I had a job while on terminal leave.

I think that location matters, though. Without divulging too much information about my location, we have numerous bases within a 100 mile radius.

Employers here tend to be more 'veteran' friendly.
I also had a job lined up while I was on terminal leave, but it fell through at the last minute (which led me to all of this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 AM

191 posts, read 230,521 times
Quote:
America is a country on the decline where GOOD workers don't make it and the worst stupid people become bosses.
^^^ This is truer than most would dare to admit!!

Look at the vast vast majority of hiring managers, HR "princesses", bosses, higher ups, etc and you will notice most of them are not too bright or talented for that matter. Most are there due to connections, friends & family, brown-nosing, good ole'-boyism, etc. I've read that most CEO's have a C grade average, proof of this "social skills trump everything" phenomenon

There's a (false) saying given to nerds about life, goes something like this: "don't worry about those jocks picking on you and getting all the girls, one day they'll be working for you, so in the end justice prevails".

But that's not how things work in the REAL world. In the REAL world those same bullies/jocks usually grow up to be the hiring manager(s), bosses, supervisors, higher ups, CEO's, etc

In the REAL world, with the exception of the odd Bill Gates or Steve Jobs "rags to riches" story, most nerds don't make it past worker bee status.

In the end, little changes from the high school world to the adult world. The outgoing jocks/bullies continue to dominate in the employment world, get all the women in the dating world, etc. The more reserved nerd/academic/book-smart types continue to get "scraps off the table" in comparison.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
OP, you have to get out of that military way of thinking. It is different in the private sector.

Do not blame others even if they are not doing what they are supposed to do, look at what other people wear to work and try to dress similar (that means no cargo pants for a while at least), listen to how others speak and be a little more low key, no swearing, do not be loud, try to stay away from military sayings ("You're other left" "FUBAR"), do not mention violence in any way.

I would just say to tone it down, if this applies, and mimic others around you. You are probably like a bull in a china shop.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
^^^ This is truer than most would dare to admit!!

Look at the vast vast majority of hiring managers, HR "princesses", bosses, higher ups, etc and you will notice most of them are not too bright or talented for that matter. Most are there due to connections, friends & family, brown-nosing, good ole'-boyism, etc. I've read that most CEO's have a C grade average, proof of this "social skills trump everything" phenomenon

There's a (false) saying given to nerds about life, goes something like this: "don't worry about those jocks picking on you and getting all the girls, one day they'll be working for you, so in the end justice prevails".

But that's not how things work in the REAL world. In the REAL world those same bullies/jocks usually grow up to be the hiring manager(s), bosses, supervisors, higher ups, etc

In the REAL world, with the exception of the odd Bill Gates or Steve Jobs "rags to riches" story, most nerds don't make it past worker bee status.

In the end, little changes from the high school world to the adult world. The outgoing jocks/bullies continue to dominate in the employment world, get all the women in the dating world, etc. The more reserved nerd/academic/book-smart types continue to get "scraps off the table" in comparison.
How could you possibly know this? If many people are doing fine and the companies are getting along with out you maybe they are not the problem?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:54 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
In all fairness, are you simply picking bottom-of-the-barrel jobs? ie. ones with very high turnover and little security? Although you have been the common denominator in this, you are also having to brush yourself off and start at square 1 every time someone lets you down, which must be very frustrating to you.

Check the reputation of your previous employers by looking online, especially sites like Glassdoor, and discussing them at job groups or agencies. I've only been dismissed once and it got me really down until it was clear that few people took them seriously. My point is that you may be looking at jobs which are too below your skill level and may benefit from broadening your horizons.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
In all fairness, are you simply picking bottom-of-the-barrel jobs? ie. ones with very high turnover and little security?
The one I never had (from the bad reference) and the previous one that I had were very high turnover. This one didn't appear to be at first, but it seems to be this way once I got more information.

I actually did a lot of research on this last one and it seemed legit. This is why it's distressing: either I just suck or there is literally no way to determine the good jobs from the bad ones.

Quote:
Although you have been the common denominator in this, you are also having to brush yourself off and start at square 1 every time someone lets you down, which must be very frustrating to you.
I agree that I'm the common denominator. All of this negative feedback certainly has me doubting whether I'm even capable of continuing in my career field. It made me feel a bit better after hearing that others have experienced something similar.

Yes, it is very frustrating. I think I will try one more time and if it doesn't pan out, I will just try to start my own business.

Quote:
Check the reputation of your previous employers by looking online, especially sites like Glassdoor, and discussing them at job groups or agencies. I've only been dismissed once and it got me really down until it was clear that few people took them seriously. My point is that you may be looking at jobs which are too below your skill level and may benefit from broadening your horizons.
Unfortunately, none of these companies are big enough to have any reviews on Glassdoor.

And, like I said, they gave me a severance package while I was still on probation. I'm assuming they did something similar with everybody else. So I doubt anybody would complain.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
OP, you have to get out of that military way of thinking. It is different in the private sector.

Do not blame others even if they are not doing what they are supposed to do, look at what other people wear to work and try to dress similar (that means no cargo pants for a while at least), listen to how others speak and be a little more low key, no swearing, do not be loud, try to stay away from military sayings ("You're other left" "FUBAR"), do not mention violence in any way.

I would just say to tone it down, if this applies, and mimic others around you. You are probably like a bull in a china shop.
I don't do any of these things and my suit was similar to that of my former boss.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
I don't do any of these things and my suit was similar to that of my former boss.
OK, Just making sure. It probably is not you but you should probably be aiming a little higher as it sounds like these jobs have high turnover. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
In all fairness, are you simply picking bottom-of-the-barrel jobs? ie. ones with very high turnover and little security?.
That was my thought as well. Real companies aren't so quick to fire because they're afraid of lawsuits by not crossing all the Ts or dotting the Is.

Do you have a common name? When you Google your name, what comes up?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Yes, that's it(!) A big conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFL

Just curious. Why is only the music that you happen to listen to acceptable fare?

Quote:
America is a country on the decline where GOOD workers don't make it and the worst stupid people become bosses. Look at yourself seriously and see if you are to blame; otherwise, there could be a secret conspiracy against you to prevent steady employment.

I strongly suspect there is a secret database of everyone working in America. And if the NWO tells your employer to fire you, they will fire you. And prevent you from working too.

There are also books on Amazon predicting that America will be destroyed, because it is an evil Babylon that poisons the World with its bad music and movies & etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment