Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:40 PM

90 posts, read 253,379 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I started a new job in late June in a field brand new to me. When I filled out my availability form, I was unaware of just how bad the traffic in the area is, so I kept my times pretty wide open (mostly because I hadn't been offered the job yet and I wanted to appear flexible). This has since backfired. It's a part time job and a few weeks ago my manager asked all of us newbies to resend her our availability. Once I became aware of the traffic, I resent her mornings only. Since that happened, I have received two emails asking about changing my schedule. It's infuriating because our schedule was supposed to be "set." One change to it has been made that will not only cause me to sit in some traffic going IN to work but also some going HOME, as well. This change was requested because one of my coworkers got a promotion at his other job and can no longer work his afternoon shift and my manager had no one else who could possibly fill that time slot. So after saying I would agree to it, that coworker took my previous time slot. I sort of thought he might have left because of his promotion but, no. He took my earlier time slot and I'm the one who got screwed, and have to come in later. My manager did say that she would give me first chance to get my old time spot back, perhaps on a different day, IF one opens up. But I kind of feel like she took advantage of me because I'm new and because my ORIGINAL availability sheet said I was open, which she has brought up more than once, as if to hold it over my head. I don't want to be "that guy" but I can't help feel like why should I change my schedule and have to live with the consequences (traffic) just because my manager is now in a bind. Should I have said "no?" How should I deal with this in the future?

Thank you.

-Frustrated Employee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:10 PM

289 posts, read 504,799 times
It's likely that your open availability made you a more enticing candidate in the eyes of your manager, and now that you've immediately reduced the hours you can work, it's kind of misleading. Your manager may very well have not hired you if you had originally submitted the availability you have now (and I know you have reasons for it, but that's not the point). I worked in retail for 10 years, and it stuck in management's craw every time someone would immediately reduce their availability a few weeks after getting hired. A few of the bolder managers would just stop scheduling those people or flat out fire them since they were still in their probationary periods.

It sounds like you too may have been misled about the reason for changing your shift. You thought you were helping your manager fill in for a recently resigned employee, but you found out he just wanted your shift and now he has it.

I think you need to sit down and work out these communication problems with your manager. Approach her about your availability needs and your confusion over the reasons you changed shifts, and explain to her that in the future you would like to able to return to the shift you previously held. Approach this conversation from a tone of being very apologetic for the confusion and of wanting to make things work. Admit that it has inconvenienced her to have changed your availability after accepting the job. Do NOT approach it from a place of blame or anger. Don't be surprised if your manager is unwilling to commit to giving you your shift back. After all, as much as you feel you were duped, you duped her with your availability as well. Maybe you can reach a compromise wherein you may have to work the undesirable shift a few days, but work the shift you want on others instead of it being all one or the other. If you feel like this situation isn't going to work out in your favor, then you have to decide if working that shift is something you can live with, or if you should start looking for a job with hours that fit your needs better.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
As mentioned above, your open availability probably made you more attractive than candidates who had restricted hours. How much time are you actually spending in traffic?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 PM

90 posts, read 253,379 times
I understand that I probably deceived them a bit with my open availability, but in these times when jobs are so freaking hard to come by and even harder to earn a good wage, I don't think anyone would condemn what I did. It's too tough "out there." People lie on their resumes all the time (not I) for great jobs and make insane amounts of money they don't deserve. I'm NOT asking for the moon here! I'm a cog. Just a part timer with no benefits who should be earning more than I am. By the way, I'm a great employee who has really excelled at this new job. That being said, I just feel that if they asked for an updated availability sheet, they should honor the newest version and not one that was given to them before I even had the job. I think what I will do (forced to do) is basically just suck it up for a few months and see if I can get my old time slot back and/or permanently change my availability later so they can't keep holding the old one over my head anymore. The managers aren't mean people and I know they have to do what needs to be done. I'm just annoyed that I became the one who has to give up what was assured to him so that this other guy can make it work for him. Just seems like I really got the short end of the stick and he got everything he wanted. What if I said no? Would I get something similar if the same thing happened to me? Would someone else be willing to adjust their schedule for my benefit? Hopefully with a little more time under my belt and perhaps a little tinkering, I can get a better schedule without messing anything up.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
It comes down to this, did you tell them you would work those shifts? If so, what the heck are you belly aching about? If you don't want to work those shifts, next time say no. It's really just that easy. But, if you lied to them to get a job and they scheduled according to your lie, maybe lying isn't beneficial in the work force. Since you were the one who started the relationship on lies, you need to take some personal responsibility for your own actions that got you into this mess.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I agree with Rabritta. You said you were available and now you are angry because the employer changed your schedule, to what you said you could work! Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Traffic can suck for sure, but you have a job. Start looking for something else or deal with it until a different shift opens up.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Do you want to keep the job or not? Answer that and you will have all the answers.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Do you want to keep the job or not? Answer that and you will have all the answers.
I agree with this. Work schedules are set for the benefit of the employer getting the work done, not for the convenience of the employees. Where you live relative to the job site and traffic at the time you work and quit are not their problem. Schedules are changed all of the time, especially in situations where workers are needed for more than the usual professional office hour of 8am-5pm. When there is an undesirable shift to fill, it's very normal for the newer employees to get stuck with it.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:17 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
Hello.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I can't help feel like why should I change my schedule and have to live with the consequences (traffic) just because my manager is now in a bind. Should I have said "no?" How should I deal with this in the future?

Thank you.

-Frustrated Employee
Well, since it was a PT job, I'd have said "No" as it would possibly not permit you to work a good job also as a second.

Unlike other posters here, I'd simply suggest you stick with what schedule works for you and ignore the rabid foaming mouth posters who want to whip you for daring to post.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:07 AM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
All this complaining because of traffic............welp one more reason immigrants get hired over entitled whiny Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment