Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:10 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

I love my job. BUT I don't like toxic people who continuously complain about the organization rather than picking up their own performance and attitude to make it better.

I'm a little offended about criticizing someone who suffers from migraines. That's between her and her supervisor. I have over 800 sick leave hours built up and I'll use them if I need them. I'd consider it a favor for someone to point out my mistake of using an incorrect name on a company correspondence. You're too defensive. You think you never make mistakes? Be glad someone catches them for you.

If you're terminated after probation it's not AT ALL a lay-off. Why would you expect unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 AM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Quit, be fired, or eventually laid off?

So I am working a job and am currently in the midst of a 90-day probation at the end of which my employer will make the decision whether to keep me on permanently or let me go. I have until October 28 for that decision. Basically, they came to me with a letter stating that they are going to make me permanent but first I have to serve the 90-day probationary period.

I do not like the job because multiple times per day someone comes to me pointing out some mistake I made. I don't do well with criticism, especially since it is usually coming from people who shouldn't be criticizing anyone.

For instance, this one lady comes to me today because I had a note in my work to send it to one of my superiors and I used the person's maiden name when they recently got married and thus have a different last name in my work that she somehow came across. Well, she is gone for at least 1-2 days per week for what she calls "migraines" so when she came to me I felt like saying, "Surprised you even know the people that work here when you're gone all the time." Who is she to criticize when she can't be bothered to ever show up for an entire week straight. When she is at work, she complains about having to do work.

Well, to the point of the thread, should I quit my job now, wait until the end of the probation and hope they lay me off, or purposefully start making even more errors in the hopes they fire me for work performance, generally something that allows collecting UI?
That's life son.jpg

Old 08-13-2016, 06:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:

So I am working a job and am currently in the midst of a 90-day probation at the end of which my employer will make the decision whether to keep me on permanently or let me go. I have until October 28 for that decision. Basically, they came to me with a letter stating that they are going to make me permanent but first I have to serve the 90-day probationary period.

I do not like the job because multiple times per day someone comes to me pointing out some mistake I made. I don't do well with criticism, especially since it is usually coming from people who shouldn't be criticizing anyone.

For instance, this one lady comes to me today because I had a note in my work to send it to one of my superiors and I used the person's maiden name when they recently got married and thus have a different last name in my work that she somehow came across. Well, she is gone for at least 1-2 days per week for what she calls "migraines" so when she came to me I felt like saying, "Surprised you even know the people that work here when you're gone all the time." Who is she to criticize when she can't be bothered to ever show up for an entire week straight. When she is at work, she complains about having to do work.

Well, to the point of the thread, should I quit my job now, wait until the end of the probation and hope they lay me off, or purposefully start making even more errors in the hopes they fire me for work performance, generally something that allows collecting UI?
Harry;

I have some important advice for you:

Man up and just do your job..

You do not want to be fired, and you do not want to start making a lot of mistakes. You do not know who this lady is. My guess is that she is protected somehow (niece, girlfriend, etc), so you do not want to tangle with her. Turn the other cheek and thank her for her good advice. Take all of the criticisms with a grain of salt. Take the attitude that everyone is just trying to help you, even the twerps and jerks.

Go ahead and let them make you permanent, put in your time, and look around for other work, but leave on your terms and do the best job that you can do for them. You will not regret this.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:36 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love my job. BUT I don't like toxic people who continuously complain about the organization rather than picking up their own performance and attitude to make it better.

I'm a little offended about criticizing someone who suffers from migraines. That's between her and her supervisor. I have over 800 sick leave hours built up and I'll use them if I need them. I'd consider it a favor for someone to point out my mistake of using an incorrect name on a company correspondence. You're too defensive. You think you never make mistakes? Be glad someone catches them for you.

If you're terminated after probation it's not AT ALL a lay-off. Why would you expect unemployment?
He would still be eligible for unemployment but not right away. Because the uc examiner would have to determine the cause of him being let go. If you are fI red for performance then u will get unemployment but it will take a while which is still not good if you have no savings.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:51 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:

I'd imagine some people are actually happy at their jobs.

I can't imagine working in such a place for the next 30 years or more until I retire.
nobody is actually happy at their job, its all about the money and benefits, I been with my company 32 years, I hate my job, since day one, but it pays decent and they leave me alone. retire , what that, retirement when you go home to die.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:13 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
nobody is actually happy at their job, its all about the money and benefits, I been with my company 32 years, I hate my job, since day one, but it pays decent and they leave me alone. retire , what that, retirement when you go home to die.
False

I liked all of my jobs because I know what environment I prefer to work in. I like to work in a office and that's why I like my job. If I applied for a maintenance job where I had to work outside then I would hate my job

Old 08-13-2016, 10:34 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
While I don't necessarily disagree with the above because I do recognize the issue I have, I don't believe I've had really that many different jobs. I'm 31 and am on the 5th job in my lifetime. Is that really considered a lot?

I had the same job from high school through college, had a 1-year temp job where I wasn't fired but let go at the end of the year right after college and during the horrible mid-to-late 2000's economy, another job where I was fired after 4 months (but got UI as it was job performance-related), a different job I had before and after the job I got fired from which I subsequently quit on good terms to take the job I currently have. I assume since I left on good terms I could go back to this job if there are openings, not that I necessarily would want to but the option exists.

I'd imagine some people are actually happy at their jobs. I want to find that. I'm guessing job happiness has to do a combination of who the happy people work with and the job aligning with their skills and interests. I can't imagine anyone actually being interested in the job I do to the point that they would enjoy it simply because it is incredibly repetitive. Couple that with a coworker base that is uniformly older than me by decades with few exceptions, and work becomes a lonely place. I can't imagine working in such a place for the next 30 years or more until I retire.
It's not so much the number of jobs, but just that you seem to have problems with adapting to various work environments.

There's always a co-worker or two, or just your co-workers in general, that seem to upset you on your jobs, and you just seem like an unhappy person at these jobs.

You can't change the job environment, so you have to change yourself and stop being so sensitive to everyone around you.

Unless you work on this, you'll continue to be unhappy wherever you go. Who is to say that if you get fired or quit this job, you won't experience the very same things on your next job? Yet another co-worker that annoys you, things like that.

And now, since you've gotten used to looking for the easy way out by looking to quit so early on in a job if something doesn't agree with you, it becomes a habit.

There's always going to be someone or two (or three, or four....) who you won't like or get along with at work. Been like that for every single company I've worked for. There's never going to be that utopia in corporate America.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:45 AM

472 posts, read 438,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's not so much the number of jobs, but just that you seem to have problems with adapting to various work environments.

There's always a co-worker or two, or just your co-workers in general, that seem to upset you on your jobs, and you just seem like an unhappy person at these jobs.

You can't change the job environment, so you have to change yourself and stop being so sensitive to everyone around you.

Unless you work on this, you'll continue to be unhappy wherever you go. Who is to say that if you get fired or quit this job, you won't experience the very same things on your next job? Yet another co-worker that annoys you, things like that.

And now, since you've gotten used to looking for the easy way out by looking to quit so early on in a job if something doesn't agree with you, it becomes a habit.

There's always going to be someone or two (or three, or four....) who you won't like or get along with at work. Been like that for every single company I've worked for. There's never going to be that utopia in corporate America.
To be honest, the only job I somewhat enjoyed was objectively the lowest paying job I've had not counting my first job. That being the one I left to take my current job. I know why I enjoyed it too: I developed a friendship with coworkers that made going to work more enjoyable because I felt like I was wanted and was part of a group. I didn' t feel lonely at work, basically like I do at my current job where I have little in common with my coworkers and few prospects of developing lasting friendships.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:17 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Have you ever considered that maybe you're not the kind of person who is meant to work for other people?

Perhaps being self-employed is where you would find satisfaction, if not happiness.

Just something to think about. There are lots of us self-employeds out here who work on the Internet. I could never go back to working for an employer.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:59 PM

828 posts, read 692,451 times
Ask for the layoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment