Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you work weekends?
I don't work weekends ever 41 35.04%
I Rarely if ever work weekends 21 17.95%
Sometimes and occasationally I work weekends 20 17.09%
I frequently work lots of weekends . 36 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:45 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm a software engineer. Weekend work is rare since my work is mostly project based. Generally it makes no sense to work weekends since there isn't actual project time allocated to weekends in the first place. Occasionally if you find yourself slacking off too much during the week, you may to a little work on weekends, but that's not a requirement or expectation from the job itself. It's just you making up for lost time.
Are you generally working alone or with others? If with others, are you ever forced to conform to someone else's schedule who prefers to work weekends rather than staying late during the week? That is something that often happens with me: when I'm working independently, I'm willing to stay until midnight or even later in order to avoid working on weekends. But the rest of my colleagues prefer working weekends rather than staying late, and if I'm working closely with such people, I'm forced to conform to their schedule and come in on a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,482 times
I never work weekends. I work 8:30 - 5:00, M-F as an administrative assistant.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Are you generally working alone or with others? If with others, are you ever forced to conform to someone else's schedule who prefers to work weekends rather than staying late during the week? That is something that often happens with me: when I'm working independently, I'm willing to stay until midnight or even later in order to avoid working on weekends. But the rest of my colleagues prefer working weekends rather than staying late, and if I'm working closely with such people, I'm forced to conform to their schedule and come in on a weekend.

I've rarely run into managers who want me to ever do weekend work. I have met a few who kind of imply that they want you to stay late to finish up some work. Thankfully those as asshat managers, and generally don't last long. Every once in awhile on a big deployment or release, we are all hands on deck, and they may have a few developers on hand just in case something goes wrong. But for the most part, since I've been working in Agile shops, releases are done during the day. My current job doesn't put developers on call (yet), but some times I've been on-call. Though it's rare for people to directly reach out to the developers.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I've rarely run into managers who want me to ever do weekend work. I have met a few who kind of imply that they want you to stay late to finish up some work. Thankfully those as asshat managers, and generally don't last long. Every once in awhile on a big deployment or release, we are all hands on deck, and they may have a few developers on hand just in case something goes wrong. But for the most part, since I've been working in Agile shops, releases are done during the day. My current job doesn't put developers on call (yet), but some times I've been on-call. Though it's rare for people to directly reach out to the developers.
So are you mostly working by yourself?

Old 08-20-2016, 04:55 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,461,734 times
I work as an Insurance Premium Auditor and I'm based from home. I visit companies to audit their financials to determine if they owe any additional premium for Worker's Comp or General Liability. In general, if they have higher sales or higher payroll $, they owe money...sometimes a LOT! Although they're usually very nice to me, I know that they look forward to my visit about as much as they would for an IRS audit! =)

I usually work four days per week, sometimes three if I'm lucky. I wanted to spend some time in a friendly, interactive environment and one of my best friends is manager of a pet supply store. So I work every Sunday and sometimes on Saturday for her. I enjoy it and I only work about 5-6 hour shifts, so it's easy. It's also a good bit of physical activity to offset my days sitting on my butt working at home!

I don't mind working weekends because I choose to do so. In the distant past, I've had jobs that required weekend work and it usually wasn't fun. I also had more of a social life back then (in my 20s and 30s), so that makes a difference also.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:48 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
I work for the federal government and I frequently have to work on the weekends.

I do work overtime though.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM

521 posts, read 732,756 times
I worked weekends, nights, holidays, etc for 15 years (am a RN now but always had jobs working weekends before becoming a RN as well) and finally got over it a couple months ago. Now with kids, I just feel I miss out on too much so I started applying for new jobs a few months ago. I accepted a M-F 7-3 salaried with every other Friday off a few weeks ago and don't plan on ever working weekends again if at all possible. I hate working weekends and am finally done!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 PM

55 posts, read 43,084 times
People go to National Parks on weekends. So I work every weekend. My weekend is Tuesday and Wednesday.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Registered nurse in a hospital. We're required to work every third weekend, which isn't bad given the profession.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,452 times
I work every Sunday. Schedule is Sunday to Thursday. Also most holidays. I personally love my weekend day because it is a lot more peaceful at work and I can get more done. I am compensated well for the holidays so I don't really mind working them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment