Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:58 AM

92 posts, read 115,692 times

Advertisements

I started a new job a 2 months ago. During the interview, HR gave the standard "we're a great place to work" spiel, I met a coworker and the owner of the company.

On my very first day, I got to meet my direct supervisor - who had absolutely no idea anyone was being hired for his department. His first words to me were something like "great, another employee I didn't ask for and was never consulted about". (apparently the exact same thing happened to me predecessor).

This makes it an extremely awkward situation. He is resentful, the owner isn't there enough to care (he's semi-retired), and no one else really knows what to make of it. To make matters worse, I average 8-12 hours of ACTUAL work a week (although I am there and get paid for 40).

I've already decided to quit next week.

But I am curious...has anyone else ever heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 10:00 AM

470 posts, read 425,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS_151 View Post
I started a new job a 2 months ago. During the interview, HR gave the standard "we're a great place to work" spiel, I met a coworker and the owner of the company.

On my very first day, I got to meet my direct supervisor - who had absolutely no idea anyone was being hired for his department. His first words to me were something like "great, another employee I didn't ask for and was never consulted about". (apparently the exact same thing happened to me predecessor).

This makes it an extremely awkward situation. He is resentful, the owner isn't there enough to care (he's semi-retired), and no one else really knows what to make of it. To make matters worse, I average 8-12 hours of ACTUAL work a week (although I am there and get paid for 40).

Why would you quit when you're paid for 40 and only have to do 8-12? Sounds like many people's idea of a dream job

Old 08-13-2016, 10:23 AM

136 posts, read 202,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Why would you quit when you're paid for 40 and only have to do 8-12? Sounds like many people's idea of a dream job
Because being bored is absolute torture and you never know when they are going to realize you aren't a use and just fire you.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,060,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c114 View Post
Because being bored is absolute torture and you never know when they are going to realize you aren't a use and just fire you.
Some jobs have low activity but a high need for the position to be staffed for whatever reason. It sounds like there is strife or a lack of communication between higher ups. If you decide to stay you can address it it with the supervisor saying you understand there was a miscommunication but you are there to help and offer to do something else around the office/facility. Is there room to grow? Benefits? perks?

Old 08-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c114 View Post
This is 100% correct. Internet is completely blocked (I got a passive aggressive memo from HR when I tried to download a chrome), they are NAZI's about cell phone use.....I basically sit there staring at the wall all day.

You can only fly under the radar for so long....

Old 08-13-2016, 01:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 13,485,527 times
FWIW, there are situations where the company needs to keep a certain number of employees on the payroll. Usually when they get a government loan that requires them to keep and/or add to a certain number of employees. If they do, the loan becomes a free grant. If not, they have to payback the loan.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:30 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,730,526 times
Quote:

Reminds me of the joke out of NJ.

"Hey Don, where you going?"

"To a retirement party"

"Oh, whose retiring?"

"Some guy I never met, but we've been paying him for 25 years to work"

Frankly, I'd wait and see a bit more before quitting. You never know that you might find something to do on the rest of the time there.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Frankly, I'd wait and see a bit more before quitting. You never know that you might find something to do on the rest of the time there.

I feel really awkward there - my supervisor resents me and has started nitpicking about stupid stuff - how much clutter is on my desk, which part of the lot I park in (there is no assigned parking and I park with everyone else), which font my emails should be in, etc...

As far as I know, he doesnt have any authority whatsoever over this but it's still annoying.

I have given it time. It's been 10 weeks and I have never had morethan 12 hours of work to do any given week (usually its much less). I have no idea about government loans, although I seriously doubt that is the case here.

It just baffles me as to why I'd be hired without consulting him, or at least a steady workload.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,730,526 times
Quote:
I feel really awkward there - my supervisor resents me and has started nitpicking about stupid stuff - how much clutter is on my desk, which part of the lot I park in (there is no assigned parking and I park with everyone else), which font my emails should be in, etc...

As far as I know, he doesnt have any authority whatsoever over this but it's still annoying.

I have given it time. It's been 10 weeks and I have never had morethan 12 hours of work to do any given week (usually its much less). I have no idea about government loans, although I seriously doubt that is the case here.

It just baffles me as to why I'd be hired without consulting him, or at least a steady workload.
Well, what is it that you DO do?

I admit that for my physical part, it's "Check the prints in the output tray, load the input tray close tray door and when shift ends in 45 min, go get new paper for next shift"...(If nothing happened)

Real work? maybe 15 hours...tops.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,265,578 times
Quote:

Sounds like bad management, where they aren't involving middle management in decisions and actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment