Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 05:21 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,038,838 times

Advertisements

wOw....a disheartening article about those who do "hair" for a living.

When does THIS CORPORATE slavery end???

LINK

?

Last edited by Balkins; 08-13-2016 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Misenter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 AM

573 posts, read 259,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
wOw....a disheartening article about those who do "hair" for a living.

LINK

?
Corporate slavery ends when immigration is curbed. In every field....it's all about supply and demand. Look at some off the engineering trades. Just horrible. And these guys went to college for years.

Sad state this country is in.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 AM

4,310 posts, read 7,201,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Actually, based on the linked article, which focuses on the beauty salon industry, it sounds like the practice of using 1099 contractors, rather than direct employees, is prevalent primarily among independent locally-owned salons, rather than national chains.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,828,401 times
Workers get taken advantage of in many professions, including the hair field. My opinion is that females are more taken advantage of than males (being one) and they don't speak up or stand up for themselves enough (took me until my 40's). If I was the person in the article linked I would have used social media to let people know about that abusive salon owner. Nowadays you can "out" abusive people even if you don't want to take them to court.

I have a relative in this field and she is with a great shop owner who has several locations. I wonder why she doesn't open her own shop but that is her decision, owning a business can consume your life. She has access to financial funds if she wanted to do it.

She could also be in a different field because she has many other talents (college degree) but this is what she likes.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:54 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,176,230 times
It isn't a bad field to be in if you are self motivated and realize you really are working for yourself in your own business. You only get to eat what you kill.

The amount of money you can make is endless, but it takes a ton of work and skills that have nothing to do with cutting hair.

If just working yourself, renting a chair, isn't enough money you open a shop. If opening a shop isn't enough you can either branch out into products more, offer more services or open another shop. Still need more money, open another shop etc......

If you aren't very self motivated and a entrepreneur at heart, you probably won't do that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment