Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:14 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,793,261 times

Advertisements

Depends on age. If someone is 60 and had 30 jobs, in Engineering, likely. If under 35 and has had 30 jobs, not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times
No, your resume wouldn't get past my fist brief scan.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,045,687 times
That many jobs in a shorter amount of time is extreme. Many hiring managers would pass. I agree frequent movement is more normal these days but there are limits.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,745,456 times
I can understand two jobs but not thirty. It makes you look indecisive or a problem employee.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:33 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What have you done for work? What skills have you developed?

Dishonesty will not get you hired.

Dropping out of adult education makes me assume you do not have a high school diploma or a general education diploma. Getting a general education diploma would make a difference.

I would not presently hire you. You need to get yourself in the right direction. Finish your general education diploma requirements, get hired for an entry level position somewhere, and start developing skills and trades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Not true. Honesty doesn't get you hired anymore. It's a new world of work, and it isn't pretty. Employers only hire unicorns who are pure as the driven snow, so a candidate needs to make him/herself appear to be such a creature. The only way most can be a unicorn is by lying. They have nothing to lose. What's the worst that can happen? Imperfect candidates either don't get hired for a job they wouldn't otherwise get hired at had they been truthful, or they get fired from a job they wouldn't have gotten hired at if they hadn't lied in the first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If I was a hospital administrator hiring a surgeon, you applied, and you came up as not having a medical doctorate, a prerequisite, would I hire you for being dishonest?
Obviously you're not hiring the candidate for possessing the essential skill of dishonesty; you would be hiring the candidate because you believe he/she has the skills and experience you need to fill the job position. The point I'm making is few candidates have every requirement employers ask for because employers are asking the impossible in our current job market. Therefore, they lie so they can at least get their foot in the door and get an interview. If honesty could get them hired, they would be honest. But it can't, so they aren't. If there's no way they can get hired by being honest, they lie. They need a job. They need money. Putting food on the table and avoiding bankruptcy is more important than being 100% honest for many applicants.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:39 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,669,073 times
I actually can relate. I am 28 right now and have done MANY jobs(insurance, grocery, restaurant, bank, sales, temp random jobs, real estate and owned a franchise). I know it probably doesn't look good, but I only list on my resume the ones that apply towards the job I'm seeking next so it's not initially shown. I love new jobs and learning new skills. With banking, I learned a lot about financial responsibility and investing. Insurance I learned a good bit and real estate taught me a lot. I held my longest job for 2 years and since then the longest was maybe 5 months. Still, I keep getting hired.. So they must like something. I am quite ambitious and my resume does show that. I also have never lied on a resume or been fired thankfully.

I guess if I was looking to hire in someone to a position that we wanted to fill long term (most companies do want that I'm sure) then probably no I wouldn't since it would be obvious you will will quickly and I will again have to go through a hire and train process.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM

22,239 posts, read 47,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
If there's no way they can get hired by being honest, they lie. They need a job.
But, for all we know, getting caught with the lie is what gets the OP fired.

Not getting fired is one of the things is lying about.
A quick phone call with an ex-employer and getting the truth would be grounds for dismissal yet again.

IF the work was short-term/seasonal, I might give the OP a chance.
If caught lying, he would be given the boot.
If I needed a long term/permanent employee, he would not have a chance...

Old 08-14-2016, 04:25 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Leave off the ones that were only a few weeks - it's easier to explain a gap of that length than a job held for such a short time. You're going to have to sell yourself as a jack of all trades. Maybe a job like an apartment manager if you've done lots of different construction type stuff in addition to office work, hotel manager, maintenance...so jobs that require many different skills but not in-depth on anything. Sell yourself and explain but don't apologize when you do so and be confident. Sell your ability to learn anything and to learn fast. Make THEM reject you - don't help them!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:32 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,493,558 times
What color is your parachute?

Old 08-14-2016, 04:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,953,340 times
It really depends on what I was hiring for. If I was hiring for a job with any real responsibility and compensation, no I would not hire you. If I was hiring for an entry level, task oriented job, I might.

This would qualify you for jobs paying up to $12/hour, no benefits. It wouldn't qualify you for the $20-$50/hour jobs with benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment