Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I just gotta say, I have seen people getting "wasted" on caffeine at work at it causes problems to the point that distinguishing caffeine from other drugs seems moot. Why is it ok to have a meltdown from a caffeine overdose but beer is a no-no?
No you haven't; there's no such thing.

And if you can't drive because of beer you can't work for ME because of beer.

Absolutely ridiculous the attitude of some employees as if the owner of the business OWES a bunch of strangers THEIR money simply because you show up at their building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 01:12 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,391 times
I read 2,000 mg of caffeine is fatal- that's 10 of those pills used to stay awake. There is no known fatal dose for cannabis ("marijuana"). I have a friend who went to one of those places where they keep asking if you want another free refill. He managed to drink so much coffee that he vomited! Cannabis is anti-nausea. If an employer wanted creativity, many believe cannabis can help with that.

Alcohol in moderation can seemingly give a little energy. Alcohol can make a person less intensely aware of being painfully tired or otherwise uncomfortable. It can also be used to be more socially comfortable and talkative, if that is desired. Alcohol in excess causes many car crashes and other accidents and if extreme drinking is daily for many years, may cause death. Cannabis, according to a Feb 2015 Federal study, is not a statistically significant cause of vehicle crashes. It's not a cause of fatal illnesses, either.

The govt will help employers pay employee health care if they drug test, so about half of employers do that.
However, if people drink heavily &/or smoke tobacco in place of cannabis, that govt deal for employers may not be worth accepting. Most employers, I think, will allow alcohol use after work & I don't know how many don't hire tobacco users. I heard of someone being fired because boss heard they had drinks at a party.

Laws, traditions, insurance, false beliefs, & moral judgments could all determine employer drug policy, as well as the productivity and safety factors. I wonder if big business deals are still signed after many drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I just gotta say, I have seen people getting "wasted" on caffeine at work at it causes problems to the point that distinguishing caffeine from other drugs seems moot. Why is it ok to have a meltdown from a caffeine overdose but beer is a no-no?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I can't believe this is even a question
That's exactly what I was thinking. But then again, if caffeine intoxication wasn't real, Starbucks wouldn't be as prosperous as it is.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
ok, just reading the op saying "getting wasted on caffeine".... I immediately cannot even take this question seriously. I've never metv a single person who got wasted on caffeine. That's not even possible.

Wasted on alcohol? Of course, but caffeine? Oh, come on! Now u just sound like a drama queen.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
It isn't ok to drink alcohol at work? Oops

Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Overdosingoncaffeinejustmakespeopleworkmorequickly andtslkfastandgenerallyspeedspeedspeedup

Whereas

Drinkin two much bier makes people makes mistake ake skes and sumtims forgt to do stuf

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
Well, for one caffeine is legal and not regulated so there is that. Alcohol and drugs all have restrictions and potential legal consequences for use.

Also, I have been part of quite a few workplaces where alcohol consumption was allowed, and the companies even had beer, wine, and liquor provided on site.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 PM

436 posts, read 521,329 times
I have seen someone be noticeably hyped up at work because of caffeine. Now with that said the extent of it was basically him talking too much and too fast. It was just an annoyance.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I read 2,000 mg of caffeine is fatal- that's 10 of those pills used to stay awake. There is no known fatal dose for cannabis ("marijuana"). I have a friend who went to one of those places where they keep asking if you want another free refill. He managed to drink so much coffee that he vomited! Cannabis is anti-nausea. If an employer wanted creativity, many believe cannabis can help with that.

Alcohol in moderation can seemingly give a little energy. Alcohol can make a person less intensely aware of being painfully tired or otherwise uncomfortable. It can also be used to be more socially comfortable and talkative, if that is desired. Alcohol in excess causes many car crashes and other accidents and if extreme drinking is daily for many years, may cause death. Cannabis, according to a Feb 2015 Federal study, is not a statistically significant cause of vehicle crashes. It's not a cause of fatal illnesses, either.

The govt will help employers pay employee health care if they drug test, so about half of employers do that.
However, if people drink heavily &/or smoke tobacco in place of cannabis, that govt deal for employers may not be worth accepting. Most employers, I think, will allow alcohol use after work & I don't know how many don't hire tobacco users. I heard of someone being fired because boss heard they had drinks at a party.

Laws, traditions, insurance, false beliefs, & moral judgments could all determine employer drug policy, as well as the productivity and safety factors. I wonder if big business deals are still signed after many drinks?
Can not smoke and work at California Hospitals anymore. We don't hire smokers and test for smoking. Not even the e ciggs which it turns out are even worse then the real ciggs.

We also test for drug use and you can be fired if alcohol gets in the way of your performance at work.

Caffeine is not something that we test for.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:20 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
my brother dies from smoking weed, but he been in a constant high since 1976, no telling the chemicals in that stuff, herbicides, pestercides. and all types of stuff/ For the last ten years he was a space cadet, didnt know half the people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment