U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,241,924 times

Advertisements

There's an insurance sales job (commission-only, contract) that I know I can do. Problem is I don't have insurance sales experience. I've worked in this specific insurance industry for years (on the claims administration/contract review side---know these products like the back of my hand) and I've sold other products and services for years. I just have not specifically sold insurance to individuals.

I do have the required licenses.

The job description says "insurance sales experience required". I mean, if they say "required", is it really?

Is this worth my time applying? My resume is honest. It describes my experience accurately and does not say that I ever sold insurance.

I just don't want to end up in an interview where they say, "so tell me about your insurance sales experience" b/c I don't know how to handle that question, other than to say I don't have that specific insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
If it's a new office or a good economy, often companies will go with the "next best thing" scenario. Look into companies that may have a new satellite office or are starting from scratch.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:46 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,877,465 times
OP, you have nothing to lose by applying. And your resume clearly shows that you do not have insurance sales experience. The fact the employer gives you an interview means there's a chance at getting the job. If the employer does not give you an interview then you have your answer about the lack of experience and you don't even have to worry about explaining it in an interview. However, if you do get an interview, maybe you can just be honest and say you don't have "direct" insurance sales experience, but you have deep knowledge of the product, and you have sales experience in other areas. You're definitely going to have to do some spinning. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:04 PM

4,663 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I just don't want to end up in an interview where they say, "so tell me about your insurance sales experience" b/c I don't know how to handle that question, other than to say I don't have that specific insurance.
There is a good chance this will happen. One time I interviewed for a Recruiter position and the lady wanted to know why I didn't have any payroll experience. Of course, the job posting mentioned nothing about any previous payroll experience at all. I'd send your resume anyway but be prepared that they may not read it before calling you in.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
There is a good chance this will happen. One time I interviewed for a Recruiter position and the lady wanted to know why I didn't have any payroll experience. Of course, the job posting mentioned nothing about any previous payroll experience at all. I'd send your resume anyway but be prepared that they may not read it before calling you in.
Ahhh, sorry this happened to you. I don't know how your interview went, but it has happened to me before, too, and it was extremely awkward. This despite the fact that I don't lie on my resumes.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If it's a new office or a good economy, often companies will go with the "next best thing" scenario. Look into companies that may have a new satellite office or are starting from scratch.
I have done my research on this company. They have done several interviews about not being able to find local candidates, despite the fact that they have plenty of openings and this is why they expanded their search to remote employees. I'm thinking that either they are being too picky or there really is a dearth of qualified candidates in their immediate area. Guess I'll find out.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:51 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 848,549 times
Absolutely. I always look at a job postings as an employer's wish list. Essentially, they're saying, "we wish the ideal candidate had all these qualifications, but we'll take the best that we can get".

You may even get a job over someone more qualified on paper simply due to being a better cultural fit within the organization. I think at the end of the day, being a better fit within the team is a bigger factor in the hiring process than having all the right qualifications. If you can woo them, and sell yourself on your ability to learn the job, it will help immensely during your job search.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:56 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have done my research on this company. They have done several interviews about not being able to find local candidates, despite the fact that they have plenty of openings and this is why they expanded their search to remote employees. I'm thinking that either they are being too picky or there really is a dearth of qualified candidates in their immediate area. Guess I'll find out.
I would be cautious. They may be too demanding of candidates and no one will succeed.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,323,460 times
Don't people write cover letters any more? In a cover letter, you can make the case that you DO indeed have all the required background/qualifications and sales aptitude (even if you have no actual sales experience). I've done that and I got the interview .. and the job.

People have to start somewhere, no? No one has made a sale until .. they made a sale. It is not as though you have no 'industry' experience.

Did you ever sell ANYTHING anywhere at any time in your life? Girl guide cookies? Raffle tickets? An old bike to your neighbour for a dollar? Anything on e-bay? Think hard and use that experience no matter how little and far back to show your 'potential' if you are sure you can do the job. Don't give up before you even try. If you do .. you don't deserve the job. You have to sell YOURSELF first to get a sales job!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 PM

242 posts, read 181,029 times
Actually, op this just happened to. I applied for a job that I wasn't qualified for but...they needed to fill the spot and I was the best candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or