Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It's an opportunity to learn another language. Listen for some words that sound distinctive, and ask what they mean. The Vietnamese speakers will probably laugh the first time you try to pronounce those words, but don't be offended. Just keep doing it, learning more and more words. Never ask, "what does that mean?" Instead, repeat the words when asking what they mean. Your attempt at repetition will amuse them and make them want to help you learn.

When learning a new language, repeating the words is critically important. Never try to learn to understand a language without trying to learn to speak it. Speaking it makes you learn it many times faster.
That's what I did...Worked at a major AMP maker (Car bumper is hint) many Vietnamese, Russian and smattering of others.

Was stunned to find out many Vietnamese had been "In country" for 5+ years and couldn't even ask for water in English....I did learn to say "I love you woman" and other sayings...Left after a disagreement with manager..temp work, oh well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 01:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Were I the boss, I would "request" that all employees speak English while at work.

I do believe that will foster team work.

But alas, it is not my company, and if the boss does not care, then it is his or her loss.

Maybe you can ask your co-workers to teach you the language.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 PM

429 posts, read 390,584 times
I once worked in a place where the coworkers spoke a foreign language around me 24/7. The clients were mostly English speaking and so was upper management. It created a wall between the coworkers and myself. There was definitely no team spirit. It was THEM and ME. And no, I wasn't interested in learning their language. I already speak a foreign language myself. I left after 9 months. I didn't like that type of atmosphere. And of course, these same coworkers all spoke decent English. Never again will I work in a place like this. I keep an eye out for this type of thing when in job interviews. I like to see the area and the people where I'd be working 40 hours or more. ENGLISH. IN THE WORKPLACE. Non negotiable.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:46 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine freaks out at the nail salon.

At least the OP isn't paranoid but it's still a difficult situation, I'm sure.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:57 PM

It's very difficult. You can't go to HR because everyone knows they're not your friend. There is this "foreign clique" there. You're not a part of it. And you're NOT GOING to be a part of it. Either resign yourself to that or find another place that definitely won't have this issue. If the clique chooses to talk about you behind your back, you'll never hear it or know about it. They'll help each other get ahead, not you.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. View Post
Howdy!

Here is an interesting situation. I recently started a new job, and all of my immediate co-workers are from Vietnam.

Naturally, they speak Vietnamese within each other, but I do hear the occasional work-related word mixed in and being a new employee in an IT-related field, I'd like to jump in on these projects to help out and be a part of the team.

When they all joke around and casually talk with each other in their native language, I end up feeling left out.

Is there a way I could politely address this (specifically the work-related portion) with the team without offending them?
Opportunity for you. Why not learn some Vietnamese and then use it with them. Get them to teach you the language.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Learn Vietnamese. Ask them to help you improve in your new language and speak Vietnamese with you. It is likely they will be pleased at your interest in learning their language and spend more time talking to you. Since you will be in the novice learner stage, you can legitimately ask for clarification in English when they say things you don't understand so you can improve your comprehension. This will serve to get you involved in their conversations, have the pertinent material explained in English, and help you learn Vietnamese.
Nice suggestion.
And if next year he moves to another company where majority of employees are from China, he will have to learn Chinese, right?

And the OP is not an expat working in Vietnam or China, he is person living in his home country...

Well my company has only English policy and I totally support it. My native language is not English though

But we are living in the USA, so wtf we should learn Vietnamese?

PS: OP, are you living in Texas? This is the most Vietnamese state in the US. And your 'howdy' greeting also suggested to me that you are probably from here.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Nice suggestion.
And if next year he moves to another company where majority of employees are from China, he will have to learn Chinese, right?

And the OP is not an expat working in Vietnam or China, he is person living in his home country...

Well my company has only English policy and I totally support it. My native language is not English though

But we are living in the USA, so wtf we should learn Vietnamese?

PS: OP, are you living in Texas? This is the most Vietnamese state in the US. And your 'howdy' greeting also suggested to me that you are probably from here.
EXACTLY. He's not in Vietnam. My native language is not English as well and I have ALWAYS worked in places with the English only policy, except that one time. I absolutely despised it.I left

Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Learn Vietnamese ...

I work in a German dominated workplace. Our IT guy has a hard time because most people are ignorant and speak German to each other even if he is in the room. It is just rude but there is nothing you can do.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:28 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Learn Vietnamese.
Easier said than done... While Vietnam uses the latin alphabet -unlike most countries in that part of the world- Vietnamese is a tonal language; a word will have completely different meanings depending on how it's pronounced. For example, the simple 2-letter word "TA" can mean: we, ghost, a dozen, left, diaper, a tenth of a ton. The inflections are very subtle to tell apart, for a non-native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment