Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Um, NO. I did say "In my experience". I never said it was immutable fact. However, although they all happily discussed heavy marijuana use, many of them likely also used cocaine, so I give you that. The people I am talking about are all blue collar. Since the late 1980s, there is mandatory drug testing at our company. So they've been unable to self-medicate with anything except alcohol since then. And in my experience, drugs and alcohol make these people MUCH worse than they'd be. So yes they get off on being *******s, but I believe the drugs and alcohol make it worse. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
You can believe anything you want, it doesn't impinge at all on reality.

The FACT is, despite your belief "in (your) experience", that even heavy long-term use of marijuana DOES NOT result in permanent paranoia. It doesn't happen. Period paragraph.

If you tell me that "in your experience" brownies clean the kitchens of people who leave out a bowl of milk for them, it doesn't affect the fact that brownies don't exist.

All of my family except for me are blue collar. I'm way more comfortable in the blue collar world and well acquainted with our habits.

And you give the lie to your belief in your own words. Since the 80s, nobody can get away with a little weed use because of the mandatory drug testing, only alcohol use.

Alcohol abuse DOES result in some of the behaviors you suggest are due to marijuana use. Not marijuana.

People working for your company haven't been able to "get away with" marijuana use for about 35 years now. There is no way marijuana use can be responsible for any volatility you see in your coworkers at this point. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Some people hide their true feelings behind jokes and laughter.

Last edited by JanND; 08-16-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 04:58 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

The FACT is, despite your belief "in (your) experience", that even heavy long-term use of marijuana DOES NOT result in permanent paranoia. It doesn't happen. Period paragraph.

If you tell me that "in your experience" brownies clean the kitchens of people who leave out a bowl of milk for them, it doesn't affect the fact that brownies don't exist.

All of my family except for me are blue collar. I'm way more comfortable in the blue collar world and well acquainted with our habits.

And you give the lie to your belief in your own words. Since the 80s, nobody can get away with a little weed use because of the mandatory drug testing, only alcohol use.

Alcohol abuse DOES result in some of the behaviors you suggest are due to marijuana use. Not marijuana.

People working for your company haven't been able to "get away with" marijuana use for about 35 years now. There is no way marijuana use can be responsible for any volatility you see in your coworkers at this point. LOL!

ive sent young men home if they appear high , out of it, wasted, whatever you want to call it
we work around equipment and he can not only hurt himself but others

3 guys ive had to fire ....with marijuana on them at work and selling to someone else

its bad enough the work ambition has slipped thru the years.....if more and more of the young crowd comes to work stoned.... this is not a sign of progress

I'm not a cigarette fan either but that's legal,,
ive heard the young crowd say they have it tough on paying bills,,,,then why the hell do you smoke????????????????????????????????

or drink for that matter..

I would never sacrifice my kids well being so I could buy pot or beer

when I graduated from high school...my parents said go in the service no help for college...so I took 3 jobs and put myself thru college
I worked in a slaughterhouse and on a fishing boat,,,both very tough jobs... and dug clams

and as my pot smoking friends partied it up on the weekends ... I worked and worked
and after some yrs I got my foot in the door of a big company and worked my way up

I came from nothing - yes I could have settled for less.... most of my pot smoking friends are still smoking .. which is their choice... but now they whine and complain about me...as one of the lucky and "priviledged"

I remind them as I was working in the slaughterhouse they were partying ..... I hated it ,,,but the only hope I had was a good work ethic....

I use to tell them for what they threw away on beer and pot they could have a better home or car...they said I was wrong,,, and actually put me down for killing and skinning cows and pigs...

thank god I never liked drugs... I use to buy beer when I could afford it....but then again its throwing away money

and thank god my kids didn't smoke ... I gave them my brothers Marlboro when they were 12
and they almost puked,,,they didn't forget it ...
my uncle did this to me when I was 14...... I got so sick.. I hated the smell of cigarettes and or pot

Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I'll get yelled at if it means a nice salary
I worked in Luxury auto sales for 20-plus years. We were demeaned by management. There were incessant meetings and more meetings. Then there were the post-shift meetings that really pissed us off. The Saturday meetings, and the 2PM meetings. Does corporate America even know what meetings accomplish?
We were yelled at and abused. Some managers we had fired. Some we endured for years.They were constantly messing with our pay. Once changing the pay plan retroactively!
I hated the job, and really wasn't the personality type for the industry. I hated going to work every day.
In recent years we began being open 7-days a week. I had no life.
But I made incredible money, and recently retired at age 62. That was my goal and the crappy job allowed me to do it.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:52 AM

529 posts, read 508,029 times
Maybe it's just his way of coping. Maybe he takes comfort in the fact he is well adjusted enough that 'work' doesn't determine his enjoyment of the rest of his life. Maybe he's like the comedian from Watchmen and thinks it's all a big joke.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

Ok, let me ask you this. I'm not being argumentative here, I genuinely want your opinion. The older generation, who seldom if ever used drugs but drank like a fish, could be moody and nasty, but never exhibited signs of paranoia. The baby boomer generation guys I knew, on the other hand, invariably used tons of pot and/or other drugs, meaning all used pot but not all used other drugs, and many of them wound up being permanently paranoid maniacs to a varying extent. I am not the only person to have made this observation, that there was a big difference between the older men and the 1960s and 70s crowd. It's not because the boomers have more guts than the WWII generation. Have you ever met someone who is fried, permanently altered because of so much drug abuse, even if it was just pot? By the way, is it not uncommon for pushers to lace their pot with other drugs to rope in their customers quicker and sell them more hard stuff? I will be very interested in what you think. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Ok, let me ask you this. I'm not being argumentative here, I genuinely want your opinion. The older generation, who seldom if ever used drugs but drank like a fish, could be moody and nasty, but never exhibited signs of paranoia. The baby boomer generation guys I knew, on the other hand, invariably used tons of pot and/or other drugs, meaning all used pot but not all used other drugs, and many of them wound up being permanently paranoid maniacs to a varying extent. I am not the only person to have made this observation, that there was a big difference between the older men and the 1960s and 70s crowd. It's not because the boomers have more guts than the WWII generation. Have you ever met someone who is fried, permanently altered because of so much drug abuse, even if it was just pot? By the way, is it not uncommon for pushers to lace their pot with other drugs to rope in their customers quicker and sell them more hard stuff? I will be very interested in what you think. Thank you.
So how does one explain teetotalers who are moody, nasty and bullies? Case in point: Donald Trump.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
I'm talking about the difference between bullies with, and without the permanent paranoia. And the patterns I and others have seen regarding marijuana use. Name calling politicians doesn't really help here, and looks very childish.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Default Bosses Yelling

Obviously if the resumes are going out it's probably a bad situation, but I have had bosses before where you'd much rather here the knee jerk F bomb than you would the quiet...let's talk for a moment.

At the root of it it is about intimidation. Bosses that yell feel they need it to inspire fear and respect. If that boss doesn't know the answer, they attack loudly so the question isn't posed to them again. What are you...stupid just fix it. People that have called out their boss's bark as being just that lose their fear and may lose their respect as well, yet they can still be useful. Bosses that scream are often knee jerk, so all you have to do is figure out how to wind this boss up and they become your tool. They can bemoan PC nation if they want, but the reality is that there are too many people that can play them, and they've become obsolete in some ways.

Chemical dependancy is another thing. When these guys unravel it's horrible, especially if they're the owner. Logic and honesty go out the window. The only reason to stick around this type is if you plan on letting them bottom out and then take their company or if they have cash you want them to make a really egregious mistake in terms of law and make them pay you to go away.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
How do you know your colleague isn’t secretly looking for another job? Most people cannot afford to just walk out of their jobs with mortgages and young children to feed.
He has been there for years. I seriously think he just doesn't care. We make good money (~$70k/year), so that could have something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment