Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 5,118 times

Advertisements

I want to quit my job even and I have only been here for about 3 months I work from 930-7PM. I am the office manager at this ad/production company and it is not how I thought it would be. First of all I've never worked those hours and it's not like I MIND working hours if I HAVE to. But the majority of the time I am just sitting at my desk watching time pass by.

I also moved into my new apartment and it is about an hour away from my job give or take. So I'll leave at 7 and arrive to my place at around 8:10...8:15 on most nights. I just feel like I don't have time for myself. So I'm wondering what I should do. I've tried to be involved by letting others know I'd be willing to help and work on different projects to keep myself busy but it eventually led to the same thing. I'm not sure why I have to stay to 7pm everynight when I am not even busy. I always open the office so I come here around 9:15am. By the time I get out of work I feel so drained and feel like the whole day has just passed me by...which it has.

I'm not sure if I should stick this out while applying to other jobs or let my boss know that I am unhappy. I like to write so I've even tried to sign on some freelancing sites during the day but the point is that I'm working so long and it is draining to me.... What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Why are your hours so long? Are you working just 4 days a week?
Why did you move into a new apartment so far away?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:27 AM

I work monday through friday Pitt Chick. I was in the process of moving prior to getting the job. I guess I didn't realize how far it would be. Via transit in Manhattan it takes about an hour...I wouldn't mind if it if I got out at like 5:30 or 6

Old 08-19-2016, 12:05 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I always ask:
-- Is this your forever company, or is this your first or second "career builder" or "climb the ladder" job?
-- Are you a kid in your 20's -- or mid career in you 40's?

-- I know you just got there, but can you work your way into a different position? With different hours?
-- Are there employers, places, where you want to work closer to where you live?

-- If the gig isn't what you thought it was, it can't hurt to keep looking, I suppose…..
-- Did you know the hours when you started? and just misjudged the commute?
-- You just need to be clear is it the HOURS (and by default your commute), the GIG -- or BOTH?

Technically, you not being busy while you're there, has nothing to do with the length of your work day and your commute not being what you thought it was. Suppose the boss wants you there to answer phones even if there's not much else to do, because they want a live personal presence during those hours? Were you supposed to be doing more and there's just not enough work?

Personally, I've always been a chicken at work, so I'd never tell a boss "this isn't what I thought it was." But lots of people are bold enough to do that…..And of course it's HOW you say what you say. Work any skill-set and experience plusses you have to your advantage there if you can -- and carpe diem! (there or somewhere else)

Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
It sounds like a pretty cushy position. At the same time, being excluded from projects in work must feel pretty degrading and really damages your long-term survival. Sitting around twiddling your thumbs all day would drive anyone crazy.

So speaking to your boss sounds like a good plan. Say you feel ready for more responsibility and are prepared to pitch in with what contracts they need a hand with or whatever software needs reviewing. You are a manager after all, you can't afford to be passive and you certainly shouldn't be asking for permission from employees or your boss for work.

I'd see how that goes. If no go for a few months, then ask for your hours to be cut. If no go on that, hop to a company which is prepared to give you work.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I always ask:
-- Is this your forever company, or is this your first or second "career builder" or "climb the ladder" job?
-- Are you a kid in your 20's -- or mid career in you 40's?

-- I know you just got there, but can you work your way into a different position? With different hours?
-- Are there employers, places, where you want to work closer to where you live?

-- If the gig isn't what you thought it was, it can't hurt to keep looking, I suppose…..
-- You just need to be clear is it the HOURS (and by default your commute), the GIG -- or BOTH?

Technically, you not being busy while you're there, has nothing to do with the length of your work day and your commute not being what you thought it was. Suppose the boss wants you there to answer phones even if there's not much else to do, because they want a live personal presence during those hours? Were you supposed to be doing more and there's just not enough work?

Personally, I've always been a chicken at work, so I'd never tell a boss "this isn't what I thought it was." But lots of people are bold enough to do that…..And of course it's HOW you say what you say. Work any skill-set and experience plusses you have to your advantage there if you can -- and carpe diem! (there or somewhere else)

- I'm in my late 20's. So I'm not entry level anymore but sort of trying to reach mid

- I work downtown and my place is all the way uptown. It's not TOO big of a company so I'm not sure what other positions I could move int
-It's the hours and the gig

- You actually answered the question...They like to have a person answer the phone during those hours. There is an LA office too. Phone calls can always get transferred there. I just don't know how the old office manager did it...like I literally can watch a couple of netflix movies throughout the day because I have THAT much free time and that isn't what I'm really looking for...so I was going to meet with my boss to see if I could take on any additional work but eh...rethinking it now I just am in a rut

Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM

554 posts, read 623,099 times
I agree with one of the other posters if you like the company see if there is another position you can transfer to that is more fulfilling. If not then stay in the job but start searching for another position. I think its always easier to look for a job when you have a job it takes some of the pressure out of it.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:20 PM

I also just got word that the old office manager would watch videos and movies all day...

I like to be challenged so I'm not sure how that is going to play out for me...that's just not how I am.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:07 PM

301 posts, read 189,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdavis1188 View Post
I also just got word that the old office manager would watch videos and movies all day...

I like to be challenged so I'm not sure how that is going to play out for me...that's just not how I am.
You could use your time to teach yourself something or study something new? I have A LOT of free time in my current position and while it's sometimes boring and not all that fulfilling, I make sure that my downtime isn't wasted. If they just need you there to answer phones, and don't care what else you do, find something that interests you, go back to school, etc. Obviously, best case is you go to your boss and ask for more work and get it and you're both happy at your job AND feel like your contributing. I suppose it just depends on what you want out of it really? If it's about only being there 3 months and needing to stick it out for resume purposes, I'd do just that. Find something worthwhile to do while you sit around so you aren't bored. In the last 3 months during my own downtime, I taught myself how to code Wordpress themes from scratch ... something I'd been wanting to do but never had the time or energy to do after work or on the weekends. Now I'm back in school and use a lot of the time I spend sitting at my desk studying and completing assignments so that I can be free at night.

Just a thought.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:19 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I guess as an office manager, there's nothing or no one to "manage?"
You're too young to just coast, so you can't just keep things as is.

So yeah, talk to the boss, see what possibilities there are. Surely they're not using you to your potential.
I'd use my time to learn a new skill, and keep moving up the salary ladder with new employers until you get to your "forever job" or "career" gig.

I am presuming you know how to convince people your crap doesn't stink, and you're the best worker with the best skills. And they'd be crazy NOT to hire you. Remember people ket gigs every day they're NOT qualified for. So don't be to afraid to go for the moon. COULD you get in over your head? Yeah thou could. But if you bust your butt, and YouTube and Google, you'll get up sot speed. People fake it til they make it everyday. I'm sure we all know people and wonder who they slept with to get the gig they never should have been hired for.

I just said all that to say, don't limit yourself, or be afraid to go for a gig you think you might not get hired for. Knock their socks off!

Good luck and keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment