Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am glad someone gets it. Then there is a push to understand "their" language so they hire their own counterparts since they can't speak English well enough. Cronyism at it's best.
You are referring to increasing amounts of job ads asking for bilingual (usually Spanish)? Yes, that is ANOTHER problem.

Besides, as for the H1B, EB-5, LEGAL immigration stuff, why can't they just use teleconferencing or something to communicate across oceans? We've got the technology to do it (and soon it'll be easy enough to do it more often for regular jobs). Why do we have to keep bringing them all HERE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
If you couldn't catch them in the first place, what makes anyone think they can round them up for deportation?

The majority of illegal workers are here to stay, like it or not.

America is a frighteningly easy country in which one can disappear from official notice.

Now, who here is for registering all who reside in America, legally, and their addresses?
No, but we can do the following:

1.) Crack down on the companies hiring them (either via the government, consumer boycotts, or both)

2.) Cut off their benefits.

3.) Crack down on the sanctuary cities by cutting off their funding.

4.) Crack down on the groups like Catholic Charities, etc, giving the illegals sanctuary from deportation.

5.) Go after the criminal ones (the ones robbing banks, raping people, killing people, etc). Don't release them from jail like Obama is. And, if necessary, use lethal force against some of these guys so that they don't hurt the American citizenry.

6.) Get rid of the anchor baby statutes.

The illegals that manage to get through 1-6 will be far fewer than what we have to deal with now and won't be much of a danger/drain on our society.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is an employment question. This is not about politics.

For the record, I believe that anyone coming to this country should do so legally. With that said, I have a simple question.

What specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?

While I don’t take my career for granted, I have no fear of illegal immigrants unless they start crossing the border with MBAs, PMPs, ITILs, and over 5 years of industry specific technology knowledge.

The employment world has changed and it’s no secret that people need to acquire more skills in growth areas like technology and anything related to the digital world (app creation, online communications, intellectual property, privacy rights, big data, etc.)

Being low skilled doesn’t work in the contemporary world for most people. However, that’s a personal choice.

Contrast that with threads where people talk about high turnover in decent factory jobs that start at $10 : Turnover rate is insane at my job

It’s like the twilight zone where people simultaneously complain about losing jobs to illegal immigrants and then in the same breath, complain about open available jobs that would at least provide a start to a long term career.

Why the fear of illegal immigrants? Again, what specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?
The reality is, there are only so many positions that require the MBA, PMPs, etc..

What we see now is everyone and their mom is going to college in an attempt to find employment. The result is UNEMPLOYMENT.. as there are only so many jobs to go around.

Currently we have a service-based, consumer economy. The whole thing is floating on the success of our currency and ability to get into debt. VERY POOR fiscal policy.

What you need is to bolster GDP.. Manufacture things here. Increase exports, Etc.. Actually the exact opposite of what's happening with America artificially getting fat (both literally and figuratively) off the labor of other countries.

So any politician stating these things need to be done is VERY SMART!

Actually what we've been doing for decades now is fiscally irresponsible, benefits the short-term only, and will end up bankrupting this nation. It's only a matter of time.

So yes the landscaping, construction, cooking, job etc is IMPORTANT to be filled by LEGAL citizens of the U.S.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
This is an employment question. This is not about politics.

For the record, I believe that anyone coming to this country should do so legally. With that said, I have a simple question.

What specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?

While I don’t take my career for granted, I have no fear of illegal immigrants unless they start crossing the border with MBAs, PMPs, ITILs, and over 5 years of industry specific technology knowledge.

Being low skilled doesn’t work in the contemporary world for most people. However, that’s a personal choice.

Contrast that with threads where people talk about high turnover in decent factory jobs that start at $10 : Turnover rate is insane at my job

It’s like the twilight zone where people simultaneously complain about losing jobs to illegal immigrants and then in the same breath, complain about open available jobs that would at least provide a start to a long term career.

Why the fear of illegal immigrants? Again, what specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?

Here's what it boils down to for someone like myself whose job requires an advanced degree. Am I worried about them taking my job...no, of course not. But there are Americans who either by choice or circumstance could not goto college and will take on some of those driving, construction, painting, housekeeping, carpentry, moving, and gardening jobs that many illegals tend to gravitate to.

And if those Americans are not working, then their problems will start to become MY problems, because at best, they will end up milking the system on Welfare or with a bogus disability claim.......or at worst, they will get really desperate and get involved with illegal drug dealing, or begging on every street corner or even stealing from people or stores.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The reality is, there are only so many positions that require the MBA, PMPs, etc..

What we see now is everyone and their mom is going to college in an attempt to find employment. The result is UNEMPLOYMENT.. as there are only so many jobs to go around.

Currently we have a service-based, consumer economy. The whole thing is floating on the success of our currency and ability to get into debt. VERY POOR fiscal policy.

What you need is to bolster GDP.. Manufacture things here. Increase exports, Etc.. Actually the exact opposite of what's happening with America artificially getting fat (both literally and figuratively) off the labor of other countries.

So any politician stating these things need to be done is VERY SMART!

Actually what we've been doing for decades now is fiscally irresponsible, benefits the short-term only, and will end up bankrupting this nation. It's only a matter of time.

So yes the landscaping, construction, cooking, job etc is IMPORTANT to be filled by LEGAL citizens of the U.S.
I agree, what we need is more local control. We DO need to crack down on the crap that staffing and temp agencies are doing. I've read enough horror stories about them to think that something needs to be done, but I'd prefer state and local, as large federal bureaucracies are hardly accessible to the common people and easily persuaded by Big Business.

Also, we need to lower the corporate income tax and get rid of the group called the Environmental Protection Agency. We don't need the federal government trying to get rid of carbon dioxide. It's NOT a pollutant. Indeed, people and animals breathe it off and plants breathe it in. Also, coal is actually pretty good and is even used to power more so-called "greener" things. Yet, Hillary says she's going to kill coal. If we stopped all these EPA regulations and lowered tax rates, companies would come come here and wouldn't leave here for foreign countries. Indeed, that Indiana air condition company in the news lately said it went to Mexico BECAUSE of the EPA regulations.

As for illegal immigration, there is yet ANOTHER argument against all of this Amnesty: legal immigrants. I have friends who came here LEGALLY from Mexico and Japan who had to check in every once in a while, played by the rules, sacrificed a lot, and went for citizenship. Meanwhile, these companies, ethnic front groups, and politicians want people who wanted to ignore our border laws, KNEW they were breaking the law, came and demand that we roll out the red carpet for them. So why are we giving some people (the illegals) a pass while penalizing those who came here legally? If we are going to keep the rules on the legals but not the illegals, eventually, the legals are going to wise up and come as illegals, figuring it's more beneficial.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
So, there isn't anything called competition? Meaning all candidates compete for the jobs and the best candidate wins. Or are white people...or should I say white men entitled to all jobs?

Then, following that same logic, white men would discriminate against people of color and women? Is that the America you want?

Teckeee, what kind of work do you do?
If it were fair comp. that would be fine, I thought my screen name was self explanatory

Old 08-22-2016, 06:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
You are referring to increasing amounts of job ads asking for bilingual (usually Spanish)? Yes, that is ANOTHER problem.

Besides, as for the H1B, EB-5, LEGAL immigration stuff, why can't they just use teleconferencing or something to communicate across oceans? We've got the technology to do it (and soon it'll be easy enough to do it more often for regular jobs). Why do we have to keep bringing them all HERE?
No I mean Chinese, Korean, Farsi, and Arabic that's who is taking over high tech through cronyism. My engineer speaks Farsi so let's make it easy and hire a Persian at Oracle.

It used to be the white guy was the front man for the foreign company now they are taking all positions.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM

213 posts, read 204,811 times
Low wage jobs that don't require much social interaction, intelligence or skill, like a dishwasher or janitor. I'm in Los Angeles and they make it CLEAR they only want Hispanics, most of the ads are only in Spanish. The only time I started getting replies back is when I gave a fake Spanish sounding name on my application.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
when illegals were here during the boom in the 90's nobody cared.

people only started trying to find a scapegoat when the economy went bad.

the economy went bad mainly due to the white people in charge, not a hispanic pounding nails on the roof.

i still point to this example here in mn.
That's not an example. That's a fantasy.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 PM

Banks also seem to want amnesty. So if we cannot get restaurants, data entry, construction, hotels, farms, banks, janitorial, data entry, etc jobs, then how are we supposed to get experience to get into the higher levels?

And, speaking of the higher levels, did you notice that they too have problems? We apparently have a STEM "shortage of talent" so we need all these H1B and EB-5 visas.

Oh, and all the manufacturing jobs are sometimes going to illegals, are being killed by the EPA and high taxes, or else they leave the country. And we cannot do coal mining either. Hillary says she's gonna kill that.

Well, maybe we can be teachers, oh wait, they're doing illegals for those too!

Ok, that leaves CEOs, politicians, journalists, Hollywood, and the public sector (well, some of it) left, well that, and the self-employed. Oh, wait, aren't the CEOs, politicians, journalists, Hollywood, and the public sector the ones telling us how good Amnesty, H1B visas, and EB-5 visas are?

At least we should be safe in the military. Oh wait, never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment