Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times

Advertisements

There's a company I want to work for because it's close to where I live and the pay is better than I was making at my past two jobs. I applied once while working at my second to last job. I was called in for an interview did well, but they went with someone else. About three or four months later, I was still with my last job, I was called for interview. They claim it was for a new job, but I think one of the people they hired (at my last interview they told me they had three open spots. Two I wanted and one I didn't due to the salary being lower) didn't work out. Once again, I was called back today. I am interviewing on Friday. I've just nervous because since the last I was there I've moved jobs and lost it due to it shutting down. I'm not sure how to spin. Also, while searching for jobs I see the posted it online. I just don't feel good about it anymore. Also, this will be my third time interviewing with them. If they don't hire me, should I look at it as a deadend? I don't get how I'm interviewing and not being picked. The last time I went, the receptionist remembered me. She was nice, but I felt really bad when I didn't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
There is nothing to spin about being laid off.

If you are automatically out of the running, I don't see why they would bother interviewing you.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
I just realized when they contacted me, they thought I was still at my second to last job. I just hope it doesn't sound weird I left one job, worked at another job for two months, and then was laid off.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Companies want to look for red flags, but all you have to do is tell them what you told us, and they'll be fine with it. If you try to dance around it, that will not work in your favor.

That fact that they called you back is a sign that they're interested. There are so many candidates per job that a lot of qualified people never even get an interview.

You're going to get the job unless you blow the interview!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
Have a look on their website. What's on their news? Have they recently had a merger or two? Maybe a new MD? Have they "joined" (translation: been bought out) by another company?

Often companies themselves are going through chaotic times as they re-brand themselves and constantly evaluate their idea of their own ethics. This is nothing scary - it's actually fairly common. Competition is extremely fierce in some industries and management will overlook good recruitment opportunities because they are busy trying to work out how to deal with their rivals.

Last year I wanted to work for my current company after being laid off. They never even bothered to return a single phone call. Tried again this year and out of the blue they were interested and gave me a job. Two reasons: one, because I kept harassing them and trying, and two, because they had recently gone through a turmoil of re-shuffles. It might not be you. Keep trying and give it everything you've got!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
There's a company I want to work for because it's close to where I live and the pay is better than I was making at my past two jobs. I applied once while working at my second to last job. I was called in for an interview did well, but they went with someone else. About three or four months later, I was still with my last job, I was called for interview. They claim it was for a new job, but I think one of the people they hired (at my last interview they told me they had three open spots. Two I wanted and one I didn't due to the salary being lower) didn't work out. Once again, I was called back today. I am interviewing on Friday. I've just nervous because since the last I was there I've moved jobs and lost it due to it shutting down. I'm not sure how to spin. Also, while searching for jobs I see the posted it online. I just don't feel good about it anymore. Also, this will be my third time interviewing with them. If they don't hire me, should I look at it as a deadend? I don't get how I'm interviewing and not being picked. The last time I went, the receptionist remembered me. She was nice, but I felt really bad when I didn't get it.
If you like the company, and want to work there, they treat you with respect during the interviews, it doesn't matter how many times you have to be interviewed there until you are hired.

I knew a guy who worked at a very large company. I was familiar with his education and work experience, and I was surprised he was working there. I asked him how he got a job there and he said, "I just wouldn't go away. I decided I wanted to work here, and I would go into HR all the time and talk with them. Finally they gave me an interview with a hiring manager just to get rid of me and I ended up being hired".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment