Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:42 PM

227 posts, read 743,300 times

Advertisements

He feels I'm targeting him, I told him during the meeting we should not have any stale in the market, and his stores should always be set to Perfect POG. I told everyone of my employees the same thing. I have held everyone accountable

Its a union DC so we can't just Fire them only after the 4th writeup they can be terminated.

He's been written up 6 times 3 by each of his 2 last manager, plus 1 time by me. When most are on step three they move to another department to keep from being terminated. After six months steps of discipline fall off the file.

I have tried working with him in the market he has show no improvement. I set expectations multiple times since May 2016 and he hasnt improved.

BTW I have 13 people that report to me, since April I have written up 8 out of the 12, and terminated 1 person. So I'm being fair with my discipline. I even wrote up the Union steward for poor market conditions.

I'm in my 20 he's in his 50s This has nothing to do with Race I'm B and he's W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,791,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Today at work one of my employees accused me of discrimination. I'm a district manager for a CPG company. Last week I was working with this employee and found multiple issues inside his store. He had multiple out of date items (expired) product on the shelves. I have written him up before. This time I didn't I gave home a chance to improve his market conditions. He's been with the company for 10+ years. He's been writing up by two different managers over 6 times before of poor market conditions. I have written him up once. I really don't understand why he said I discriminated against him when I'm only holding him accountable for his job performance.
why you care? if you didn’t do it cause of his race you shouldn’t back down. is this the first time you’ve been accused of discriminating? he’s got no case if u catch him slipping with documentation. your a manager, dont be racist, dont do anything other then play the rules and dont worry about the card thing. he sounds like a waste of time anyway. good luck.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,917,094 times
Quote:
Today at work one of my employees accused me of discrimination. I'm a district manager for a CPG company. Last week I was working with this employee and found multiple issues inside his store. He had multiple out of date items (expired) product on the shelves. I have written him up before. This time I didn't I gave home a chance to improve his market conditions. He's been with the company for 10+ years. He's been writing up by two different managers over 6 times before of poor market conditions. I have written him up once. I really don't understand why he said I discriminated against him when I'm only holding him accountable for his job performance.
He is backed into a corner and his chances are running out. This is his Hail Mary pass.

If you have done your job properly and documented the deficiencies, let HR handle it, and move on.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There was no mention of race. I suppose that's the most likely but it could be another protected class such as over 40, disability or sexual orientation.

I have been a supervisor or manager since the 1980s, and have had similar accusations made a few times. It's almost always an effort to get some money from the employer that fired them, denied them a promotion, or put them on a performance improvement plan. I have been through a case that actually went to a lawsuit, as a witness (not my employee) and it's definitely something I would avoid. The two days of deposition before the plaintiff's team of lawyers were grueling, but I learned a lot. I would never fire someone without complete documentation of every fault and action taken to help them overcome their deficiencies. If an employer has given opportunities for improvement but none is made, then the firing will be upheld as justified. Some employers, however, especially public agencies, will go ahead and settle out of court and give money to the complainer just to keep it from tarnishing their corporate image and avoid publicity. What will always come back to bite you is treating another employee (who is not in that protected class) differently. If this person can show that their work was no worse than someone who has not been disciplined, you will lose the case.
What will always come back to bite you is treating another employee (who is not in that protected class) differently. If this person can show that their work was no worse than someone who has not been disciplined, you will lose the case.

I have a mix of people in my District W,B,H, I have written them all up, and will hold everyone accountable to the same standards.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
why you care? if you didn’t do it cause of his race you shouldn’t back down. is this the first time you’ve been accused of discriminating? he’s got no case if u catch him slipping with documentation. your a manager, dont be racist, dont do anything other then play the rules and dont worry about the card thing. he sounds like a waste of time anyway. good luck.

Yes this is the first time I'm been accused by anyone, I'm not backing down if he don't improve I will continue with corrective action against him.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM

1,104 posts, read 913,803 times
Quote:

Yes this is the first time I'm been accused by anyone, I'm not backing down if he don't improve I will continue with corrective action against him.
His performance and his accusation of discrimination are two entirely separate issues. One is handled by yourself. The other his handed by an HR team which is paid to ensure it does not get sued to hell and back by issues like this.

To protect yourself, try to include at least some positive guidance under your status as manager, such as "you felt he could need additional training","perhaps more experience in a different department", or "a less/more challenging role (add reasons)". HR will gobble that up faster than eggs & steak.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,040,874 times
Quote:
The BLM movement encourages not being able to hold people accountable for their actions. Must be someone else's fault rather than the individual's poor performance. They just want a paycheck and feel there's no need to actually work for it; and if you Mr. Manager or Mr. Owner are holding them to high standards then in their eyes you are to blame.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 PM

455 posts, read 385,373 times
Quote:
He feels I'm targeting him, I told him during the meeting we should not have any stale in the market, and his stores should always be set to Perfect POG. I told everyone of my employees the same thing. I have held everyone accountable

Its a union DC so we can't just Fire them only after the 4th writeup they can be terminated.

He's been written up 6 times 3 by each of his 2 last manager, plus 1 time by me. When most are on step three they move to another department to keep from being terminated. After six months steps of discipline fall off the file.

I have tried working with him in the market he has show no improvement. I set expectations multiple times since May 2016 and he hasnt improved.

BTW I have 13 people that report to me, since April I have written up 8 out of the 12, and terminated 1 person. So I'm being fair with my discipline. I even wrote up the Union steward for poor market conditions.

I'm in my 20 he's in his 50s This has nothing to do with Race I'm B and he's W.
Explain what he says when he says "you're targeting me?" Can he support the allegations? Not asking for your perspective, tell me what his is.

Your chasing the wrong argument because performance and discrimination are not looked at the same so unless he can substantiate the evidence that you do treat him differently, stay the course.

And if you have a union, don't they review the findings anyway?? Seems like a pretty open and shut case if he's such a loser and you've done nothing wrong. Unless there is more to the story.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:07 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,069,361 times
A lot of people play the discrimination card because its the only card the common worker has to play. You may have had very valid reasons for unfavorable actions against said person but when someone is staring down the barrel they are going to try to survive.

People don't have union protection anymore and the govt is ran by big money so we really have no workers rights in this nation.

We have situations here where people drasticly over estimate the cost of projects because if they try to get it down to the dollar and go over its a nasty conversation but if they always come under its a nice conversation but then less stuff gets done because everything is over estimated. Now if it were 2 owners doing this work they could get it really close because any thing nasty the one said the other could come right back because they both have ownership, hugely different relationship, one that is much more honest.

A lack of leverage by the work force drives this behavior, everyone is a surf or a vassel and they do not share any ownership in where they work or even in the community they live (unless they own a house outright, which in most cases means they are retired).

So what exactly do you expect from someone with no rights, and expectations to meet. People who have no ownership and are trying to survive are going to behave far different from a partner or owner who have a legal right to be there and cant just be fired. Also people that are being paid peanuts and have no stake don't really care, not really.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 08-24-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,069,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The BLM movement encourages not being able to hold people accountable for their actions. Must be someone else's fault rather than the individual's poor performance. They just want a paycheck and feel there's no need to actually work for it; and if you Mr. Manager or Mr. Owner are holding them to high standards then in their eyes you are to blame.
If the standards are not reasonable then yes they are to blame, what would have happened if he had thrown everything out on schedule and bottom line was not favorable? Would the staff then be punished for not selling enough before it expired?

Workers rights are coming because there are few owners and a lot of working stiffs and the owners have gotten used to an abundance of desperate workers so they can come up with absurd requirements, offer little to no significant training and any number of other picky things.

Its really not a race thing, anyone who is not able to leverage significant capital or real estate assets are at a significant disadvantage. Asset costs have sky rocketed and wages are at historical lows compared to the costs of real assets (land, buildings, equipment, etc).

Its basicly the markets way of saying your inherent worth as a human being asmatoticly approaches 0. IF the market had it there way we would have actual slavery again, we need govt to make sure everyone plays fair in the sand box and we are pretty divergent from fair right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment