Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:31 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I do it for $$$$$$$$$

Last year, I started a new job and put everything into it.
A year later, got a great promotion and 30% pay raise.

That's why you go above and beyond.
Of course, I'm planning on looking for a new job in the next few weeks, but that's a different story
How certain can you say for sure that it was INDEED you "putting everything into it"?
Can you actually quantify the difference between that, vs. just "doing a good job"?

A 30% pay raise isn't something to sneer at, but still, would like to know if this sort of thing can be further isolated and attributed to that extra work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 05:18 AM

902 posts, read 747,198 times
Why go "above and beyond".............personal pride, sense of accomplishment, to be better than everyone else etc. Personally, if I don't go above and beyond I would feel like a worthless subhuman

Old 01-26-2018, 10:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Only thing Ive seen where going "above and beyond the call of duty" and becoming valuable and dependable, ever did was just get you taken advantage of and have more of the workload thrown on you. Oh sure, you'll keep your job... Maybe.. Until layoffs eventually hit due to lousy business decisions from the highers ups and the higher ups will keep the lazy brown-noser, or friend, or relative and cut you.

I went above and beyond for a few years and did everything I could to learn as much as possible. What did it get me?? Ohh constant phone calls from higher ups, asking me how to do something (Crap they should have already known anyways, they are the ones making more money with bigger titles. Yet couldn't even understand basic job functions) and having to travel to other facilities to fix their problems (mostly due to high turnover because everyone quit) while the higher ups just sat on their rears in meetings all day and accomplished NOTHING while all their facilities went to crap. And you're stuck training people with no experience making more money than you.

Going above and beyond gets you nowhere.. Just more work and forcing to bail complete IDIOTS out of trouble.

I suppose there is a sense of "pride" attached there somewhere and how people depend on you for an answers.. But "pride" doesn't pay the bills or get you more money

Old 01-26-2018, 11:34 PM

581 posts, read 456,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
People that do minimal work for their paycheque often are recognized pretty quickly. Thus will never move up the chain.
Actually, in my work experience, I've found the exact opposite to be true. The lazy, weaselly people get promoted because they spend seven hours a day doing nothing but manage to look super busy for fifteen seconds when the boss walks by. The ones who give it their all usually end up being taken advantage of and passed over.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I always sought out and accepted additional duties at work. I found that it was easier for me to get promoted when I did so. Doing just enough was never good enough for me.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 272 times
This is true. I've gotten "excellent" performance reviews for nearly 20 years in a salaried materials position. 5 years ago, I applied for a manager position in our department, but was told I did not have enough leadership skills. I was told I'd get training and extra duties to help prepare me for that. So I went through leadership training, took on extra responsibility, trained others to do this job and just recently another manager position opened up. I applied and was told I don't have enough experience with leadership to become a manager. 20 years of working hard and putting in more time and effort than anyone in this department and I keep getting pushed down the road with pisspoor excuses. I tried it their way, going the extra mile. Now I'll do it my way, find another job.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I no longer do anything extra, especially if it means getting up early on the weekend. I've volunteered hundreds of hours over the last 30 years, and it hasn't paid off in the least.

My next job will be a small business I can run from my home office (I'm semi-retired, now).

There's almost no loyalty in the workforce anymore. It's not like it was in the 1950s.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I no longer do anything extra, especially if it means getting up early on the weekend. I've volunteered hundreds of hours over the last 30 years, and it hasn't paid off in the least.

My next job will be a small business I can run from my home office (I'm semi-retired, now).

There's almost no loyalty in the workforce anymore. It's not like it was in the 1950s.
No, in the current job market we see the lack of loyalty every day as good people are leaving for more money elsewhere. Because all 200+ job titles have pay ranges set by the annual budget, we cannot just give someone more money to keep them here. I actually managed to give my best employee a promotion by creating a new position, and less than a year later he accepted a job elsewhere for significantly more money and similar benefits.

Our only annual raises are performance based. The rating determines the amount of the increase, if any, with some flexibility by the supervisor/manager, for example:

Poor: 0
Satisfactory: 1-2%
Good: 2-3%
Outstanding: 3-5%

The ratings are well defined in writing, and the only way to get the highest is to perform above and beyond the assigned responsibilities.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Going above and beyond once in a while, you can be recognized. Going above and beyond all the times and forever, people won’t see that’s above and beyond anymore, and they will think that’s your job, you suppose to do that, you suppose to work that hard. Your co-workers will come to you to ask you to help with their job because you are so nice. And when you have too much on your plate, get overwhelmed, and say you cannot help them anymore, they will turn their face and hate you and report you to the management because they used to see you did everything, and now why you cannot do the same or more.

Even worse, the management believes in those who talk more, do less, and to be friends with them. They thinks you can do so much/a lot, they will give you more work to do. The ones who are sweet and “sick” don’t have to do so much because they are “sick”. You are strong and can work hard, you should take burdens for others who are weaker than you. THAT’S TEAM WORK.

Working hard and going above and beyond constantly don’t give you a raise or a promotion. Only if you know how to talk, socialize, to get to know the "right" person in the management and know how to sell yourself, you can get raises and promotions. That’s for sure and true in dysfunctional companies lead and managed by rotten leaders and mangers.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I always sought out and accepted additional duties at work. I found that it was easier for me to get promoted when I did so. Doing just enough was never good enough for me.
Good luck with that.

I always ran extra miles, went above and beyond, cared too much for others. Was in the middle of the ladder. Did not care or want to step on others to climb up higher and higher. Just cared about doing a good job for the company when at work and be happy with personal life when not at work.

To make the long story short: Lots of things happened… got rewards for working hard as lots more work to do, got burnt out, almost got canned because of speaking up to the direct manager - but it worked because was lucky to have someone in the higher-up helped.

Now have to learn and apply the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" even not really fond of it, but have to do it for survival.

I still care though. But sometimes I ask myself "why do I care so much?" I don't have an answer for that. Everybody has his/her own characters, you don't change overnight, I guess. I never want to be lazy, bad and mean. It's hard to be good.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 09-24-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment