Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
OP i would really suggest you try volunteering at a cause you believe in .. It's a rewarding thing to do and based off the responses in this thread many agree and see the benefits in giving back in their communities.. Try it and let us know!
He does, he volunteers his life to his employer, see all his rants on how companies abuse employees and they still go back for more

Reason he gets his "comfy" chair and ac, so he keeps going back to the whip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I had no idea companies did this. I love it! I obviously don't work at a company that does this.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:42 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
One of my company's "benefits" is that an employee can get a paid day off if he or she instead volunteers in the community.

So let me get this straight ... I would rather scrub dishes in a soup kitchen or pick up trash on the sidewalk, than sit in a comfy chair at my desk and write code while listening to music?
Oh.

Well, then... don't do it.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:40 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
One of my company's "benefits" is that an employee can get a paid day off if he or she instead volunteers in the community.

So let me get this straight ... I would rather scrub dishes in a soup kitchen or pick up trash on the sidewalk, than sit in a comfy chair at my desk and write code while listening to music?

I would have no problem getting out of the freezing dungeon (basement) where I work at night, especially if it's outside on a lovely day.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
He does, he volunteers his life to his employer, see all his rants on how companies abuse employees and they still go back for more

Reason he gets his "comfy" chair and ac, so he keeps going back to the whip
Maybe he goes back for the whip.

Getting some job credit for volunteering, which many do anyway, is orders of magnitude better than doing it for no benefit to anyone except the boss who gets to brag about his employee's 100% participation rate at the management meetings, which is what happens many times in education.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
It's optional and they're paying you to volunteer. I don't see the problem here

Old 08-26-2016, 09:15 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Plus some people like volunteering in general.
not really "volunteering" when you're drawing a paycheck while doing it.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 AM

604 posts, read 618,323 times
My company has a similar policy. Actually, volunteering is part of the bonus evaluation.
I've done light stuff like going to animal shelter, some heavy work and some emotionally tasking activity like entertaining disabled orphans.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:45 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I work for a not for profit so we get volunteers, we don't give them! :-) If I wanted, I could choose to volunteer time during the work day for a particular activity, but I do enough outside of work that I choose not to. I don't officially get time off for that, and what I do isn't a full day thing (I am very active in the PTO at my son's school) so if I am gone for an hour or two during the day, or need to leave early now and again, it's not a problem. There are some other things I also volunteer on, but they are either online/not during standard business hours, or things I do on weekends, like political canvassing or working at a foodbank, both with my kid.

My last job was at a for profit corporation and they did a company sponsored volunteer event each year. I don't recall if you could take paid time for other activities or not since the things I did then were outside of business hours.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:

Perhaps your employer should offer you a glass of wine to have with your whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment