Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,428 times

Advertisements

One of my company's "benefits" is that an employee can get a paid day off if he or she instead volunteers in the community.

So let me get this straight ... I would rather scrub dishes in a soup kitchen or pick up trash on the sidewalk, than sit in a comfy chair at my desk and write code while listening to music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
I did it at my employer. I'm glad my job lets me sit at my desk, but a change for a single day is nice. Plus, we get a free t-shirt and lunch. Plus, we usually run out of work and get to go home early.

I got to make meatballs in a soup kitchen. I never knew my hands could get to cold making meatballs because I never made that many before.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Plus some people like volunteering in general.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
One of my company's "benefits" is that an employee can get a paid day off if he or she instead volunteers in the community.

So let me get this straight ... I would rather scrub dishes in a soup kitchen or pick up trash on the sidewalk, than sit in a comfy chair at my desk and write code while listening to music?
I think it's a great benefit but then I volunteer anyway. However, I don't think anyone should be forced to participate. Volunteering is supposed to be about helping others, it's not supposed to be about you.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
I don't see why you look at this in such a negative light. My company does the same thing. I am signed up to do a rehabilitation project at a local park next month. It will involve replacing an old fence. I for one am happy to have the opportunity to get outside and do some physical labor for a change. It also feels nice to do something good for the community. I'm guessing this isn't mandatory for you, so what is the problem?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I think it is a great idea. Some people actually think about others less fortunate than themselves and like to help out.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Yes.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:14 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:

My company offers this and my department opted to do a volunteer event together as a group. We had a blast hanging out together in a non-work environment but still doing something good for the community.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think it is a great idea. Some people actually think about others less fortunate than themselves and like to help out.
This.

A great way to help those who don't have that cushy office and a great job.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
We get 16 hours of volunteer pay. I participated in a state park clean up (amazing what ends up in the creek). Pizza and snacks were provided. The most recent one that some employees took part in was releasing 40 bags of oyster hatchlings into the Chesapeake Bay. Apparently, everyone had fun getting very muddy and wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment