Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:05 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

sick time is great as a benefit, unlimited accruel and pays out when you leave or added to retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 AM

24 posts, read 15,479 times
I use my sick days when I'm sick of working.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Ours was lumped under pto. Maximum quarterly use of ten days unless hospitalized.

I had six weeks of pto accumulated.. when the business choose conveniently to fire employees with long tenure.
No pto was paid,even the amount that was rolled over from previous years.

I have zero concern how someone uses their earned time. Let the policy dictate.

Mental health days are sometimes necessary.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
sick time is great as a benefit, unlimited accruel and pays out when you leave or added to retirement
Not for all that many people does it get paid out.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
Isn't 'mental health' as important as 'physical health'? Unfortunately when some use all their sick leave for 'mental health' purposes and then they get sick, they go to work anyway thereby ensuring that others may have to use their sick days for actual physical illness/recovery.

That said, I think employers should seriously consider placing all leave types under a single PTO category with a specific number of days allocated per year and if you want to take more than x # of days off though (i.e. for a real vacation) you will need to request that in advance because that could lead to more staffing concerns. The rest is yours to take as you please but won't be paid off if you don't take it.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
I don't like the idea of combining all leaves at a single type of PTO. This discourages people who are sick from taking sick leave. Which means they bring their germs into work and more people get sick.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I like the idea of combining sick days and vacation days in to generic PTO. Grown adults should not have to call in with their fake sick voice when they need the occasional unscheduled day off. It's demeaning to all parties involved on both sides of the phone.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I like the idea of combining sick days and vacation days in to generic PTO. Grown adults should not have to call in with their fake sick voice when they need the occasional unscheduled day off. It's demeaning to all parties involved on both sides of the phone.
I don't see what one of those has to do with another. Even if your sick days and vacation are combined in PTO, if you didn't schedule it in advance, you'll have to call in and say why you were taking a day off unless you work someplace that doesn't care if you show up on any given day.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't see what one of those has to do with another. Even if your sick days and vacation are combined in PTO, if you didn't schedule it in advance, you'll have to call in and say why you were taking a day off unless you work someplace that doesn't care if you show up on any given day.
I've emailed my manager on a couple of occasions just saying I wouldn't be able to come in today but I would be in tomorrow. I do it rarely so it was never an issue. Treat adults like adults and they'll act like adults.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I've emailed my manager on a couple of occasions just saying I wouldn't be able to come in today but I would be in tomorrow. I do it rarely so it was never an issue. Treat adults like adults and they'll act like adults.
Exactly. But my point is that if your employer isn't willing to do that for sick leave now, they won't be willing to do it for unscheduled PTO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment