Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

Humans never fail to amaze me. Some people are never happy and, no matter what you do, they find fault with it.

You could be handing out hundred dollar bills, and someone would complain because it is so hard to break a hundred, how about 5 $20's instead !

People !!!

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:07 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
This is something my current management likes to do. At the end of the shift, they will tend to say "thank you" to their teams, even supervisors.

Why do I need to be "thanked" for turning up on time and doing a full days' work? I'm never late and I do my job well. What gives them the right to "thank" me for that? It's so offensive.

Under that logic, you'd need to thank me at the beginning of the shift. Then, thank me for coming back from my lunch break on time. Hell why not just stand behind my chair constantly, thanking me all day long for working!

If it's to show gratitude, it's dishonest - there are better ways to show it. And if they are serious, it is cheap. Investing "thanks" in someone is investing nothing. Thanking someone is for when they have helped out and done that bit extra, and when it is used every day, it's just abused. It also seems to be a staple of showing dominance over another employee.

What if I "thanked" my management each day like that too? I bet they'd start to scratch their heads and think, "Wait a minute. I'm just doing my job. Why should I be thanked for that?" Maybe this is something that needs to be done. The next time a manager "thanks" me for doing my job, should they be thanked back? Would that get the right message across that being "thanked" so much isn't appreciated?
Because it is a nice thing to do. Conversely they could be a jerk.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Having a Thank You sure beats working someplace where you could die while at work and they would give you a bad appraisal because of it...

Old 08-28-2016, 10:16 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
eastcoastguyz, maybe this will help.
Would you hire someone who has worked over 30 different jobs?
He is fired a lot, lies on resumes... yet cannot accept a compliment when he gets one.
Maybe he doesn't like to be thanked as he will be moving on within a month anyway....
Thanks for sharing that. I was unaware of the OP's history. That is totally abnormal and shows a very poor attitude. That changes things. I highly recommend the OP seek the guidance for professional help such as a psychologist. The OP should start with a visit with the primary care physician and ask for a recommendation to deal with these issues.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
What managers are really saying...

Thank you for showing up to work, relatively sober. Thank you for not wasting the entire day on Facebook. And thank you for not faking a workers comp accident today, and thank you for not stealing us blind.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:38 PM

212 posts, read 335,530 times
Default I really mean it

I manage a team of 14 people who absolutely kick butt at their work and because of that, they make my work life a lot easier. I genuinely appreciate their efforts and am not afraid to let them know that in many ways, including telling them "thank you".

Been doing it for years. It's heartfelt and I am not aware that it has ever been deemed offensive. But then again, I'm also fortunate enough to not manage anyone under the age of 40.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Sheesh. I thank my team as well. Maybe I should end the day by saying "see ya later A holes!" In our business it is fast paced, stressful and requires dealing with the public. Yes, I am going to thank my employees for working hard that day. I have managed people like the OP. Chip on their shoulder, refuse coaching and can't handle feedback.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:59 AM

274 posts, read 252,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
two major types of bosses

cops & coaches

cops identify problems, point fingers, is critical can and will isolate blame,,,bring up past poor performances to put down
they don't earn respect,,,they demand it by title

a coach has a "we" approach with solutions not blame
positive energy, part of the team,,....earns respects

a coach brings out the best in his employees...not out of fear ,,,but out of positive reinforcement,,
and when employees feel appreciated they offer ideas/concepts to help the team - they will work if someone calls in sick,,,they will work if asked to stay late..
Well said, maine. I have worked with both cops and coaches. Right now I work for cops.

They are paper-pushers in the truest sense. We are skilled laborers supervised by people who have never done our job. Being thanked by them means nothing. I have told a couple of them straight out that "I don't come here for thanks, I come here to get paid.". Now they only speak to me strictly within the scope of employment, and that's fine with me.

I agree with OP's premise, although he seems more bothered about it than I am. And I agree in part with those who are "piling on" OP; I can see the need to just let "thank you" go by in a corporate environment.I don't have any personal experience with the "collar shirt and tie" corporate environment, though.

And just so no one needs to infer this, I do in fact have "problems with authority". I believe that everyone does to some degree. Experience has taught me to choose my battles carefully, which is one thing that some people never learn.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:02 AM

Another easy answer: it's the right thing to do

Old 08-29-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What managers are really saying...

Thank you for showing up to work, relatively sober. Thank you for not wasting the entire day on Facebook. And thank you for not faking a workers comp accident today, and thank you for not stealing us blind.
Or some could say it for this: Thank you for working so hard that last year we struggled mightily. This year, with so much customer feedback about your work ethic, we turned a huge profit, so it was obviously you.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment