Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times

Advertisements

No, you don't just let it slide. You calm down, get over your hurt feelings and then request a meeting with your boss. You ask them what you need to do to get a promotion. What skills does he think you need to improve. You continue to do your job to the best of your ability and support the new lead when you can. You prove that your are a team player and an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
So basically I just let it slide and pretend as if nothing happened?

It was management's decision to make, and they made it.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
I did tell him that for my career advancement, it would be great to lead a project. I am wondering if I should tell this in a suttle way to his boss. He is obviously trying to make this new girl shine by making me look like a pile of waste. We did not know that this position is coming up. He has not announced it yet.
Leave the company and encourage others who are unhappy with this short-sighted decision to go with you. There may be more than official business involved in this choice of the inexperienced woman.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:34 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Unknown factors.

1: Does the new lead, have more formal education that can be used than you do.

2: Did the new lead bring in some specialized experience, that you do not have.

3: Was the new lead brought into the company, to train and move into a management position. In other words, is the new lead a potential management trainee which was not announced, and is now starting to be moved into a lower level of management. This is very common.

Back in my corporate days, I was hired a few times just for this type of reason. I know sometimes some of the employees were upset when I who was fairly new, was moved into a management position over them in a short time. Up to that point I was only learning the position, waiting for the promotion but they did not know this.

It is very common in the work world, someone will be hired to be given a certain job, as soon as they have learned how to do the job. They are hired, based on education/experience. As soon as they know the companies way of doing things, they are promoted to lead or manager, over people that have been there for a long time.

It almost sounds, like this was what happened in this case. If you complain to upper management, etc., it will just look bad for you to do so. In these situations people in the OPs situation, never see it coming and when it happens they are hurt. If this is what happened, you never had a chance to get the job, as it was already decided when the other person that got the job was hired.

I have been brought aboard a company this way, and I have hired people to be gotten ready to manage as soon as they were familiar with the way we did things, and promoted them over long time employees. The ones I had hired, were better qualified due to education/experience or both, and were more qualified for the long term for future promotions. When you do this, you do not tell the other employees why the decision was made to promote the other person instead of long time employees.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
One thing you'll learn fast on here is that managers always have a reason for what they do..
Unfortunately it is quite often petty, self-motivated, or short sighted.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Leave the company and encourage others who are unhappy with this short-sighted decision to go with you. There may be more than official business involved in this choice of the inexperienced woman.
Precisely companies are rife with various forms of management corruption such nepotism and cronyism and heavily devoid of meritocracy. It is a wonder so many companies manage to keep going considering how often they fail at hiring, promoting, or retaining, and motivating the best candidates simply for the above reason.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Newbie,
I went through a similar situation. I was hired to start a team for a company based on my previous knowledge of the work. They basically poached me based on the knowledge I had of the project at hand. Eventually I was interviewing employees, and hired on someone to work underneath me. When I was hired I got the impression that I would be the lead as the team grew given my seniority in the position. Instead they hired someone above me to become my manager.

I was upset of course, but enjoyed what I was doing and stuck to the plan. As things progressed I continued to perform the functions I was always performing which was training new hires on their roles, keeping track of the progress for each project, etc. Eventually, whenever someone had a question on where something was at or how to do something, I was the go to guy. Given the fact that I was the go to guy, worked hard, knew everything about the projects at hand eventually they plucked me from under my manager and gave me full control of the team.

So basically, if you show your value and you prove your worth you may be rewarded. I took any opportunity I could to tell my bosses boss that I was doing this, or I was doing that. He listened and understood that I was in an unfair situation. My old bosses boss later told me that my manager was the worst hire he ever made and that I should have been the manager from the start.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
You said the other two new people finished school. Do you have the same degree as they do? In a lot of corporations, they have some internal educational requirements for certain positions. If you don't have the formal education and they do, this could explain why you were passed over. You need to have a conversation with your manager and ask them what you need to do in the future to become lead. It isn't as simple as waiting around for the promotion and it isn't as simple as just telling your boss you want the promotion. You need to show them that you are willing to work for the position.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
I work for a corporate and joined 5 months ago. I was pulled in to a high visibility project and my work so far has earned me appreciation from my current leads and business partners. I alone pulled the weight of this project and got it this far. we had two recent grads join this effort who I was training to catch up and help me out.

This past Friday, I was pulled in by my manager to say we have one of the leads leaving and would like to make one of the new recent grad lead this effort. I am obviously insulted as I was thinking I have the most knowledge base on the team. I absorbed all he had to say which basically meant that I will be doing what I am doing and the person(new lead) will be assigning and driving the effort. I am shattered and feel that my work so far was not appreciated and overlooked. I want to stay on the effort and contribute but I feel very non motivated considering I bring in more outside world experience and more knowledge to the project than the new lead.

My other issue is the business partners will now think that my manager possibly saw more potential in her than me. The other issue is we are getting a new manager end of September. He will be going forward with this is kind that I for sure did nothing significant and which is why someone brand new was picked to lead.

Should I bring this up and chat with the manager? Should I just slide this by? What should I say? I don't want to set a pattern for me to get pushed over always and want to set this right. Should I just leave the project? I am extremely hurt and my soon to be ex-leads are frustrated with the managers decision as well.

What would you do? Thanks for your help with this!
You are now unhappy. The best thing you can do with your unhappiness - especially if you cannot get over it - is vote with your feet and leave.

People come and go from projects and they get promoted and demoted based on factors you cannot control, many times factors you may not even be able to fathom.

It could be that your boss sees great potential in her and want's to develop it, or the boss could be totally snowed under by things they think they see in her, but do not actually exist.

I always filed this under "Life is not fair."

Since I could not control who came and went, was promoted or demoted, I decided that I would live my life in a way that was not so much controlled by the vagaries of office politics.

I decided that as soon as I didn't like a job anymore, I would leave to find a new one. I became a contractor.

I would take a contract with specific goals... complete those goals and then move on. Other than dealing with those I had to work with on a daily basis, I no longer needed to care about the office politics, I no longer needed to care about the yearly pittance that was passed out as raises or bonuses. I no longer had to care about who was sleeping with who, and I no longer cared about long term corporate goals and my "place within them."

I don't know how much contracting is done in your line of work, but if there is any, I would recommend investigating that realm.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:49 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
No, you don't just let it slide. You calm down, get over your hurt feelings and then request a meeting with your boss.
Bingo. Say nothing, get nothing.

We like people with ambition. Show that you have some. But talk to us with a level head, not with emotion or defensiveness.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment