Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:57 PM

8 posts, read 7,033 times

Advertisements

I work for a corporate and joined 5 months ago. I was pulled in to a high visibility project and my work so far has earned me appreciation from my current leads and business partners. I alone pulled the weight of this project and got it this far. we had two recent grads join this effort who I was training to catch up and help me out.

This past Friday, I was pulled in by my manager to say we have one of the leads leaving and would like to make one of the new recent grad lead this effort. I am obviously insulted as I was thinking I have the most knowledge base on the team. I absorbed all he had to say which basically meant that I will be doing what I am doing and the person(new lead) will be assigning and driving the effort. I am shattered and feel that my work so far was not appreciated and overlooked. I want to stay on the effort and contribute but I feel very non motivated considering I bring in more outside world experience and more knowledge to the project than the new lead.

My other issue is the business partners will now think that my manager possibly saw more potential in her than me. The other issue is we are getting a new manager end of September. He will be going forward with this is kind that I for sure did nothing significant and which is why someone brand new was picked to lead.

Should I bring this up and chat with the manager? Should I just slide this by? What should I say? I don't want to set a pattern for me to get pushed over always and want to set this right. Should I just leave the project? I am extremely hurt and my soon to be ex-leads are frustrated with the managers decision as well.

What would you do? Thanks for your help with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 01:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
he isn't going to change the lead now after he's already made it known... did you even give the impression that you wanted to become the lead in the first place? this is what needs to be done before a position comes up, instead of waiting around and hoping you get it

Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM

I did tell him that for my career advancement, it would be great to lead a project. I am wondering if I should tell this in a suttle way to his boss. He is obviously trying to make this new girl shine by making me look like a pile of waste. We did not know that this position is coming up. He has not announced it yet.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
What Not To Do After A Missed Promotion

Passed Over for a Promotion? Your Next Steps - WSJ

Old 08-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Thanks suburban guy. I can't see the wsj link due to no subscription. I would like to see it though. Could you pleas paste the contents here? Thanks. I speak to him tomorrow regarding where I fell short to be considered to lead. I hope that goes well.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
Could you pleas paste the contents here? .
That would be against the TOS, which is why he posted the links.

It would only cost a buck, and you would have 2 months access.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:58 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Perhaps the person chosen to lead the project has excellent communication or writing skills. Sometimes that is considered a distinct asset in management circles.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM

I am hoping he mentions something like that so I can better myself and be considered next time. The fact remains that I am really upset by this.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
One thing you'll learn fast on here is that managers always have a reason for what they do...so don't you worry your pretty little head about it...and sooner or later someone on here will tell you that you can always just get another job.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:42 PM

So basically I just let it slide and pretend as if nothing happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment