Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

Do you have a job already? You didn't say if you already graduated.

Are you humble bragging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I worked a lot in college because I was told that you need work experience to get hired before graduation. I worked all 4 years I attended college. I co oped my last semester (which was a pain). I interned 2 summers. I had a ton of experience. I would have preferred to have not worked, but I listened to articles telling me how I have to get years of experience in before I graduated.

I was talking to my friend who is taking 5 years to get a plain cs degree (I got the same cs degree and a econ degree in 4 years) who has never worked. He was pretty confident he'll find a good job by the time he graduates next May. He's never worked!!! Is this just wishful thinking on his part?

Or did I just waste years of my life listening to "experts" tell me how a modern student needs experience?
Don't listen to your friend. He is likely going to move back home with his parents after graduation and make it their problem to find him a job.

I work in software and have many years of experience. You did exactly the right thing. For the good jobs, they always look at what you did in college and if you worked in your field either thought internships or part-time that makes you stand-out from the crowd. Someone who has only gone to school is at a disadvantage.

Since you have worked, I can tell you. You'd be surprised at the number of people who come out of school with a degree and zero work experience who don't even have the slightest concept of what it is like to work in an office. They don't understand the importance of deadlines, dealing with a supervisor, being held accountable for their actions, and working with others.

School is very important and getting a CS degree is a good thing. But having worked while going to college as you described was the smart thing to do. Don't worry about your friend. He's going to have a tougher time than you, or is going to settle for something you likely wouldn't even consider doing because you have better options available to you.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
He plays videogames and does not have a job. Why are you comparing yourself to him?
Yeah, seriously.

When we reviewed resumes of college students who were recent graduates for hire or internships, those who did nothing during the summers were excluded from the consideration pile. Someone who just screws off during the summer, doesn't go to school, doesn't work, does nothing is going to need a lot of babysitting on the job. It also shows they have no initiative.

When the labor pool of talent is dry, they need people so it can be a different story. But now employers only want to hire the very bust they can.

The OP shouldn't worry about his friend. In fact, he shouldn't listen to him or hang out with him, because that kind of attitude is just going to drag you down.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no internships help develop skills and networking. if he got them some other way, then he has them as well

internships aren't important in themselves, it's what you get out of them that is
Internships are important, because we ended up hiring many of them when they graduated if they made a good impression on us while working there. For those who wanted to work in another part of the country, we were available to be used as references.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 PM

684 posts, read 713,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yeah, seriously.

~~~ The OP shouldn't worry about his friend. In fact, he shouldn't listen to him or hang out with him, because that kind of attitude is just going to drag you down.
You know, when i just graduated, and some-one would give me the career advice to stop hanging out with my friends, I would loose respect for that person and if this advise was repeated, for the industry.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:57 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Internships are important, because we ended up hiring many of them when they graduated if they made a good impression on us while working there. For those who wanted to work in another part of the country, we were available to be used as references.
so.. how is that different than if they networked with you guys in a different way?

Internships aren't important, it's what they do with it that is. Just like the degree, do they show up and sit there? Or do they put effort into learning what is needed?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
I worked a lot in college because I was told that you need work experience to get hired before graduation. I worked all 4 years I attended college. I co oped my last semester (which was a pain). I interned 2 summers. I had a ton of experience. I would have preferred to have not worked, but I listened to articles telling me how I have to get years of experience in before I graduated.

I was talking to my friend who is taking 5 years to get a plain cs degree (I got the same cs degree and a econ degree in 4 years) who has never worked. He was pretty confident he'll find a good job by the time he graduates next May. He's never worked!!! Is this just wishful thinking on his part?

Or did I just waste years of my life listening to "experts" tell me how a modern student needs experience?
Life isn't fair. Simple as that.

CS is quite marketable where I am at, and has been for a long time.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
My son majored in sociology. He's working as a software developer now (and making very good money). It's not the degree that gets you the job; it's you.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Everyone I know with this degree had good offers (70k+) a year right out of college. Although I know one person who refused to leave his small home town and ended up working at a Walmart, being managed by people with art history degrees.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:

Did you ask him why he's so confident? Perhaps he's got a plan. And that's the key. It's not what degree you have or how many internships you had. But what you did with them and how you used them as part of your career planning. And of course, there's also the curve ball... maybe his dad's college roommate is an EVP at EA, and he's pretty much got a job lined up already.

Yes, based on the two examples, you are more prepared (and that's really all that matters). However, just because you've had internships/work experience doesn't automatically mean you are going to have jobs handed to you. A big factor is also what you did in those internships. On the flip side, if you were in those internships, how do you know all your friend did was play video games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment