Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I would be afraid of moving up the ladder. Based on my observations of other managers, it seems like nothing but a big burden, headache, time consuming thing to do, with stress and a lot of responsibility. Yuck!

I just don't see how moving up the ladder would improve my health, well being and happiness, when I'm content with the income level I'm at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You're career doesn't really need to kick off if you are content on not moving up and just keeping a nice stable job. Career implies upward movement. If you are happy and making enough to survive and retire someday don't worry about a career.

Someone asked me the next step in my career the other day and I said, to keep sitting here getting raises every year and not get fired or laid off.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 AM

55 posts, read 43,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Honestly, I would be afraid of moving up the ladder. Based on my observations of other managers, it seems like nothing but a big burden, headache, time consuming thing to do, with stress and a lot of responsibility. Yuck!

I just don't see how moving up the ladder would improve my health, well being and happiness, when I'm content with the income level I'm at now.
I agree, as I get further into working in my industry full-time I don't think I would want their jobs. Could I do them? No doubt, but I really enjoy what I am doing now and actually interacting with visitors, seeing the progress of the park firsthand, etc.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM

436 posts, read 521,168 times
Quote:
Yes, I am content. But this thread was not meant to be a complaint or venting thread. It was merely to discuss the topic of timing when people's careers kick off. You misunderstood the premise of this thread.
I apologize if I misunderstood the premise of the thread. You tee'd it up in a confusing manner.

There's no formula. It's a fair bit of coincidence, taking advantage of opportunity and working hard. I've heard of people getting lucky when a female coworker went out on maternity leave. On the other hand there are two or three threads on the front page of this sub alone where someone probably deserved a promotion and got passed over.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:49 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
I agree. I would be totally content making average money all my life and working 40 hour weeks.

Mission accomplished then.

Not taking off, just getting by.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:07 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
While this may be true in that field, it doesn't sound like that is what the OP is doing. He is just staying at the same level because he doesn't put in the effort to get excellent reviews or to show his potential to the employer. Then he leaves for a similar position because he is bored/frustrated.

Lather, Rinse, repeat

Old 08-30-2016, 06:51 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
The simple act of working OT is not, in my experience, enough to cause your career to kick off.

In my experience, one must take advantage of a sudden or hidden need or situation and prove to be valuable to your superiors, and hopefully be rewarded accordingly.

None of that matters a whit if you don't really want everything that comes with moving up the ladder.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
If your time-line presents itself right- you're looking at starting the workforce during some tumultuous times in our economy. 2000-2003 were tough. 2008-2012 were brutal.

Had you entered the workforce about 5 years earlier you may have been already on your way to the 'take off point'. Now you see a lot more of the mobility like you describe.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
It kicks off when you go to school to learn your field of interest. You do internship after graduation to get hands on skills & land a full time job. If you realize after a year or 2 that it's not what you really wanted to do, then you switch careers & start at the bottom. If you keep switching & dont find your line of work interesting then clearly you haven't figured out what your talents are & what you want to do long term.

45hrs?? My work week goes upto 60hrs sometimes & I actually love it. I give away my compensation money to my family as a bribe. Sure I love my family, friends & have hobbies but the kind of satisfaction & thrill you get from applying your talents at work is not like any other feeling. I would be miserable in a different field of work as it would be like fish out of water. Maybe you should go to a career counselor for self assessment. I know people who are stuck in wrong careers but its never too late to start all over again. Some therapy & career counseling can fix your confusion.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:

Why bother to start the thread in that case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment