Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 02:41 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
The problem is that when a company or department is run so poorly, it can impact your performance and morale. This is what bothers me the most about these types of situations.
You have many options.

You can work you butt off improving the company and the department in question. Eventually, going to work won't suck as much. You would probably get a raise as well.

You can demand a raise. If a work environment becomes that uncomfortable, the company might have to pay higher wages to keep good people around. If they cannot afford to pay enough to keep these people, they will most likely fail as a business.

You can find another job. This is the easiest option in my experience, and it often yields higher pay and a better work environment.

What you can't do is allow a bad job to get in the way of your career growth, or your life. Or I should say, what you shouldn't do... Crappy places need employees too I guess, and there are many crappy places around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 03:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
No, never!
Gotta love 'em boomers. Jobs for life on trees in their mind! Literally not joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Thank you. This is a valuable insight.
No it is not; that person said everything which was selfishly applicable to their own situation of work and not yours. They held no concern for you, your safety or your ability.

It is normal and healthy for rapidly expanding companies to go through large and difficult re-evaluations of their ideas and ethics and to expect the more competent employees to use instinct and intuition in the process, while the weaker rely on supervision and instruction. This sounds like a company which lacks confidence in itself. Take advantage of it! You can be your own mentor and leader. Complaining about lack of communication or idea will reveal your inability to self-manage. Concentrating on identifying and solving solutions will at best save their skin - and at least save yours.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
I've learned that resistance is futile !
Just like swimming in a river, you learn how to go with the flow and when you achieve some degree of influence, make the necessary changes to improve the processes that facilitate efficiency.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
Yes, I think I worked at that place.

There are some advantages. You have freedom to develop systems that work, and to create order out of chaos in your area. In my opinion being zero-managed is better then being micro-managed. The opportunity to learn is great. You either sink or swim and there is no-lifeguard but also no police.

You might hate it and leave after a year but you might as well make the most of it, and experiment. If you are basically forced to make your own rules, then you get to make them as long you comply with the regulations.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, I have seen and experienced this kind of thing before. It doesn't bother me. I am there to do a job, at an agreed upon wage/salary. So long as the checks do not bounce, management/owners can run their businesses as they please.
That's how I feel as well. I don't care if the company is dysfunctional, as long as I keep getting paid.

I go in to work, focus 100% of my attention on my job while I am there, collect my paychecks, and go home at the end of each day. That's it.

My job isn't my life. It just provides me with the money needed to live. My real life happens after the work day and on weekends/holidays/vacations. Hopefully when I'm in my early 50s (that's the plan at least), I will have enough money accumulated that 24/7/365 of my time will belong to me and I can do whatever I want, none of which will involve paid work, unless someone will pay me to travel around the country in a van and explore the national parks at my own pace.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Yes! I was offered and accepted a job I really wanted and was very excited about. But from day 1 it was totally unorganized and the girls had really bad attitudes. It was a toxic environment. I'm a RN and the job was at a medispa. I thought it would be a nice change from patient care. I actually enjoyed the work but the company was horrible abd the girls were so shallow and caddy (not only the nurses but the sales girls). They were constantly talking bad about the clients like "Oh that b---- didn't buy more treatments I guess she wants to stay ugly." I'm 100% serious and it was like that all day. Very crass. Plus unorganized and I wasn't given the hours agreed upon.
Fortunately I had interviewed at a job (not medispa) where a friend works and was offered that job with a salary, 30% pay increase, and better benefits. I accepted it and couldn't run fast enough from the medispa. I was only at the medispa for 6 weeks but still gave a 2 week notice. It was the longest 2 weeks of my life!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Absolutely. I was hired on as a software administrator at my last job. The first week I was running ethernet wire. Didn't take me long to realize this wasn't for me.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
i worked at a company that was dying. towards the end they brought in a new avp for development and not even 1 week into his new job they had a restructuring and layoffs. The look on his face was priceless as his boss relayed the news to us. though he didnt lose his job, he quickly went back to his old company.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:34 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Your observation is most likely accurate. I've been in your scenario. How I handled it was or may not be preferrential to your skills. For the first 2 years I was tied to a cinder block ...tossed out to sea and if I came up for air...they ( company mng ) would say...sink further! There are numerous sharks in that ocean of career endeavors. Took four years to put on earplugs...stop listening to five different directives that conflicted to the current task..and get the job done. After awhile it came down to entrusting that the companies objective was more important then the internal confusions cast to create uncertainty.
I actually learned to enjoy the tasks and the co workers....The company politics not so much. If I had to weigh in on what was gained for the company vs my personal skills thru those years....The company exceeded its numbers and that was the goal. I seriously would tell a newcomer in such a quandary to think twice with their fresh eyes...as it's fair to say that when new ideas or ways to improve are sighted from a newcomer...The blinders are quickly administered and the cinder block is soon to be rendered. Since you have the awareness...stay calm ..function within your skills ..and seek a new company in due time.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I did, but in different ways. And I got out quickly!

I started one job after being interviewed by 3 different managers. Small company, less than 20 employees (my preference was small companies). By my second day, I had discovered that 14 of the other employees were related. The two owners were married, using different last names. The two VP's were their daughters, using their married names. A brother in law, son, etc. etc. etc. I KNEW that was gonna be a mess, so I was out of there is less than 4 weeks.

One job I left after just 2 weeks. It was an inside sales job, and you cold prospected for your own clients. When you actually spoke with someone on the phone, you entered your initials into the computer system to 'mark' it as your account. There were certain safeguards in place to keep this procedure honest, but I quickly realized that they were totally inadequate. I figured this out after 'marking' several accounts, going in to follow up the call the following week, only to find that they had been stolen by another employee (which would have required a manager's password into the computer system, similar to a cashier issuing a credit). Guess who the employee was sleeping with? Yep, one of the managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment