Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times

Advertisements

i hate my job, hated it since day one, that was 32 years ago, but it pays good. what i enjoy i do on my own time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:45 PM

6,429 posts, read 9,767,907 times
I honestly feel sorry for you guys that don't enjoy your job! I love my job! I love my career. I got out of the navy to do what I do now and have no regrets. I have never changed jobs to chase the dollar but I have done very well for myself and consider myself lucky to have the job I do.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,495,234 times
I love my work. I've worked in hourly jobs that weren't anywhere near my passion, but I still found redeemable things (coworkers, customers, whatever) to appreciate about it. But I would say my career is definitely a career and not just a job. I do love my time off, don't get me wrong, but I rarely dread going to work.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I remember growing up hearing from everyone around me (teachers, counselors, parents, etc.) that your job should be your PASSION and that you should look forward to it. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jobs are a pain in the ass - backstabbing coworkers, meaningless work, mind-numbing repetition, micromanaging bosses, having to get up at the crack of dawn and fight traffic every day. What's so great about that?!

I'm financially preparing for an early retirement, and my job will (hopefully) provide the means to get there. That is why I continue to show up every day, to pay the bills and plan for a time when I will no longer have to show up to work. There is no passion. It's a means to an end.
Perhaps you misunderstood the intent of their comments? People who follow their PASSION wind up with Careers and not JOBS instead.
I did the same for myself but my intent was to move away from a mundane job that I hated and move towards something I had a passion for.
That took a lot of planning financially and also the circumstances you find yourself in and I was fortunate in that respect that I was only responsible for myself since most people don't have that luxury.

You obviously have a ultimate goal which is to be financially independent and to be free from your Job but once you achieve that goal are you going to be happy that all you had to look back on was to pay your bills?
Everyone has a passion in life and maybe you need to explore it.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
Hated my job since day 1. But the paycheck allows me to do what I want after.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:30 AM

8,012 posts, read 10,589,775 times
I have found that typically when someone is able to follow their true "passion", there is usually someone else paying the bills.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:42 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
My work was just work, just a job, until about 2 years ago. At that point it started to become a passion. I love my job and look forward to coming into work. But it took me 23+ years to feel that way, and probably would have never happened at any other job.

This job with this employer has thus far been the best one I've ever been a part of, and as I continue to grow and learn, so does my passion for it.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I honestly feel sorry for you guys that don't enjoy your job! I love my job! I love my career. I got out of the navy to do what I do now and have no regrets. I have never changed jobs to chase the dollar but I have done very well for myself and consider myself lucky to have the job I do.
Me too. I'm doing the exact thing I've been doing since I've gotten out of college. It doesn't pay a lot, but it's what I've wanted to do, and I wouldn't choose to work any other job. The few times I have out of necessity, I was very unhappy. I'm surprised there is so much negativity on this thread.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood the intent of their comments? People who follow their PASSION wind up with Careers and not JOBS instead.
I did the same for myself but my intent was to move away from a mundane job that I hated and move towards something I had a passion for.
That's great and something to aspire to if possible, but even if people are lucky enough and plan well enough they do need to be realistic about the career of their passions.

Take someone who has a passion to be a medical doctor. If they have a longstanding goal to enter this field and they are intelligent and talented enough, work relentlessly hard, sacrifice lots of time and money especially early on in their careers, and actually cut out to do the work they may get there. But even though they love the core of their job (the mental challenge/reward of keeping/making people well), chances are there are still parts of their job that they keenly dislike (dealing with insurance issues, hospital politics, dealing with a medical outcome that goes wrong in an unlucky patient, etc.). And they may not even fully realize these negatives until they're actually doing the job. This could be a different scenario for countless jobs, but the point is the same.

Also, not every passion can be monetized to make a decent living (even for someone who lives very frugally), so some passions really are hobbies (which is fine and can make time on one's job more enjoyable to have a hobby to look forward to).

Last edited by Jowel; 09-05-2016 at 06:04 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 AM

9,351 posts, read 14,010,665 times
When you think about "passion" who would want "passion" at work? Passion is wild, crazy, automatic, high emotion...exhausting. Give me a job I can feel proud that I am doing, that keeps my interest most of the time, and allows me to do something good. Luckily, you can get paid for this. Then you can use the money to fund your "passion". My advice to everyone is to find a job that makes use of your personal skills--yours. Each person is different and has different talents that set him aside. Make use of those talents in a positive way and your life will be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment