Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:54 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You need to be able to at least not hate/tolerate it - beyond that, it's gravy.
Agreed. Finding a job that you can tolerate long term is much more realistic advice than "passion".

Those who do love their work should count themselves as lucky. Just don't expect others to have similar luck.

There was another thread about this topic. As I recall, it was estimated that a large majority either tolerate their jobs, or actively hate them.

And yes, I am one of those who tolerates the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I remember growing up hearing from everyone around me (teachers, counselors, parents, etc.) that your job should be your PASSION and that you should look forward to it. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jobs are a pain in the ass - backstabbing coworkers, meaningless work, mind-numbing repetition, micromanaging bosses, having to get up at the crack of dawn and fight traffic every day. What's so great about that?!

I'm financially preparing for an early retirement, and my job will (hopefully) provide the means to get there. That is why I continue to show up every day, to pay the bills and plan for a time when I will no longer have to show up to work. There is no passion. It's a means to an end.
Of course.

I do the minimum necessary to extract the maximum value. No...and I mean none, zero...activities are taken upon by me that do not increase my value-add to myself. Not for "the company" or anyone else, though I do try and grow junior people to if nothing else learn how the business world really works.

I'll retire at 60, when my mortgage is paid off, or at 62 if I can tolerate it. Work is not a passion, it is a set of rather unique skills brought to the table and leveraged for (great) money.

Most people believing otherwise are severely disappointed eventually, if it takes one year or ten.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I remember growing up hearing from everyone around me (teachers, counselors, parents, etc.) that your job should be your PASSION and that you should look forward to it. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jobs are a pain in the ass - backstabbing coworkers, meaningless work, mind-numbing repetition, micromanaging bosses, having to get up at the crack of dawn and fight traffic every day. What's so great about that?!

I'm financially preparing for an early retirement, and my job will (hopefully) provide the means to get there. That is why I continue to show up every day, to pay the bills and plan for a time when I will no longer have to show up to work. There is no passion. It's a means to an end.
I love what I do, even on the days when I hate it.

Seriously, would not be doing anything else and will only retire when I physically cannot do it anymore. That being said I don't make great money, and there are certainly aspects of my job I hate, but all in all it is a supremely awesome gig.

Maybe you could find a job you like to do?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:10 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,636 times
I have a friend who got laid off some time ago. He job hunted for a long time. He finally got hired (sigh of relief), but its not a job he is passionate about.

He tolerates the new job, and he is lucky to have that job.

Often, people simply have to take what is available.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:51 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,299 times
I love my job & look forward to it everyday. Sometimes it does get tough but overall it is a satisfying career. If you dont feel this way then you are stuck in the wrong career path & should consider switching tracks. Over the years you should easily get promotions & lead others. Thats how you know that you are cut out for your job.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:03 PM

191 posts, read 230,391 times
Jobs are about MONEY, pure and simple. Anyone who believes otherwise is a sucker/chump who will be "used and abused" or otherwise taken advantage of.

The cold, harsh, politically-incorrect truth is that if suddenly you found out you would be working for free you would quit on the spot or simply not show up tomorrow.

Get outta here with that "passion" and "follow your heart" non-sense

Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I love my work. I've worked in hourly jobs that weren't anywhere near my passion, but I still found redeemable things (coworkers, customers, whatever) to appreciate about it. But I would say my career is definitely a career and not just a job. I do love my time off, don't get me wrong, but I rarely dread going to work.

Ditto. I enjoy most everything I do, at work and in my off hours, too. If I didn't, it would be time for a new occupation.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
You don't have to love your job...what's more important is that you have some degree of aptitude for it so you're at least moderately successful at it and aren't fighting a losing battle every day. So you get a couple promotions and hopefully some raises over your lifetime.

Usually if you do well at something there's some degree of "like" so that works out...personally, when you LOVE something that implies to me that a lot of energy is involved - both negative and positive. I'd save the passion for my spouse and hobbies!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
I did 33 years with a single employer. Went from Jr. Engineer to Engineering VP and sometimes a Senior Corporate Engineering Fellow.

Loved my job passionately at least most of the time. Found both the challenges of Physics and Engineering fascinating and the management and dynamics of large group endeavor vastly interesting. Actually worked over 24 hours in stretches while chasing interesting problems. Always worked long weeks but then again had great flexibility to handle family priorities. Basically worked bi-coastal. Traveled across the US weekly for over 25 years. Lived in upstate NY and traveled to LA or LA and traveled to upstate NY.

Retired a little early. A bit burned out. Something shifts as you pass 50. Just lost the joy of it all. Still enjoyed the technical piece but lost the drive on the rest. I suspect it is hormonal actually.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
Jobs are about MONEY, pure and simple.
No doubt about it. CAREERS, on the other hand, can be about passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment